ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Having read the article, it sounds more like a reboot instead of a continuation considering Kelly Ripa is also producing another show where she'd be the lead. I could be totally wrong about that obviously. Plus, we hear so many shows nowadays that might happen but never make it to air, like that Cruel Intentions series with SMG or the awful to think about Coach return. 

• Members

The Deadline article had more details and confirmed it’s a sequel that will include new next generation characters as well as legacy characters. Because they mention the Santos and Kane families, obviously Susan Lucci and Eva Larue (who is besties with Ripa) will appear and Deadline also said Mark and Kelly will likely make guest appearances. 

I think this is a great idea and a smart way to use those series. A primetime reboot is obviously cheaper than a daytime one and has a better chance at success. I hope this works out for them. I find it promising you have Agnes Nixon’s son involved as well as former cast members who love the show and genre. I also like that the new writers know the show and I like their British soap experience since those soaps tend to be more progressive with storytelling compared to modern daytime soaps. I hope this is a success for ABC and causes networks to look at their soap properties differently. It’s crazy that every network has a streaming service where the soaps perform well, but they have no spin offs for the soaps. 

Im curious to see how casting ends up being for this. For example, for Kendall I could see them approaching Sarah Michelle Gellar since she’s a bigger name than Alicia Menshew. I’m also curious if they would try to recast any of the adult roles we know. Bianca and JR as examples. I could see that going either way. 

• Members

Thanks for the clarification. Since it's a primetime show, I wonder if SORAS'ing will still be a thing, or will they age correct some of the characters, like Maria and Edmund's kids. If not, it's a shame that Tony nominated actor Bobby Steggert quit acting. He follows me on insta ... I don't have any point in mentioning that just #humblebrag

• Members

Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy, Million Little Things. ABC primetime is full of soaps. Also a daytime soap is going to be hard to sell because of the costs. Would you rather nothing? Sure it could flop as many primetime shows do, but it could work. The alternative of letting these properties die is worse IMO. 

• Members

Making it about the Kanes vs the Santos is a strange choice given how they often downplayed Erica and Maria’s feud and Erica stealing Maddie never happened once Maria returned in ‘02.  

That being said, if it goes to series I’ll definitely give it a chance.  

Edited by BingCherry

• Members

I tweeted the HW/EP and this is promising. So at least now we know the Hubbard’s will also be involved. Not too surprising considering Debbi Morgan is still so successful. The success of AMC alums I feel is going to make this an easier sell than had they tried this with some other soaps.