Jump to content

ALL: Characters obviously developed to “replace” popular departed characters


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Elsa said:

Y&R
Tucker McCall as Victor Newman (there was some kind of EB drama during that time)

It was a contract renegotiation and it was rumored EB had to take a pay cut. Remember EB was gone for a bit in late 2009.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Faulkner said:

In the GH thread, there’s discussion of the development of Sam McCall (Kelly Monaco) as one of the many attempt replacements for Vanessa Marcil’s iconic Brenda Barrett. What other obvious attempts have soaps made to replace a popular departing character? Roles that may as well have been simple recasts?

I mean, they literally quickly set up her character and put her right in the story Guza/Pratt had planned for Brenda.  The baby, falling in love with Jason, the whole thing.

 

I think Alexandra Quartermaine was pretty much a Tracy substitute.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tricia Quick on B&B was definitely meant to be a Taylor replacement after Tylo left the show in 2002, I think Tricia lasted all but six months on the show. I remember SOD was highly critical of the whole thing.

 

To chime in on others comments Tucker on Y&R was indeed developed as a Victor replacement during whole EB leaving back in 2009 while Genevieve was an attempt to replace both Nikki & Jill at the same time. 
 

 


 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kalbir said:

All the fake-ass Shemar's on Y&RWesley, Damon, Detective Webber, Detective Wallace, Mason, Tyler, Jordan, Nate. Eddie Winslow doesn't count.

 

Y&R's been trying to find another light skin to replace Shemar for nearly 20 years and I guess they sort of made it with Nate? Fitting, I suppose. I don't think Detective Webber counts though, they didn't even attempt to make him a fleshed out character.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

Tricia Quick on B&B was definitely meant to be a Taylor replacement after Tylo left the show in 2002, I think Tricia lasted all but six months on the show. I remember SOD was highly critical of the whole thing.

 

To chime in on others comments Tucker on Y&R was indeed developed as a Victor replacement during whole EB leaving back in 2009 while Genevieve was an attempt to replace both Nikki & Jill at the same time. 
 

 


 

 

 

I always found it very telling that Genevieve's last day was Jill's return day. One went out of the GCAC door on one side as the other came in the other.

 

Like the writers knew...OOPS!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Faulkner said:

In the GH thread, there’s discussion of the development of Sam McCall (Kelly Monaco) as one of the many attempt replacements for Vanessa Marcil’s iconic Brenda Barrett. What other obvious attempts have soaps made to replace a popular departing character? Roles that may as well have been simple recasts?

Sam McCall just ended up lasting longer than any other Brenda replacements but there were a lot more attempts than just Sam.  Hannah, Angel, Claire, Reese (who might have actually been more of a Carly replacement), Olivia (more of a Brenda/Lois hybrid replacement), and I am sure I am forgetting someone.  I swear Lisa Vultaggio's Hannah looked so much like Vanessa Marcil in the late 90's I had to do a double take from some angles.  Too bad she had none of her charisma.  Oh well, at least she got a husband out of the deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Olivia qualifies as a Brenda replacement; she was more a Lois pastiche (and silly, since Lisa auditioned for NuLois and was later paired with Ned; the character backgrounds are almost identical and Olivia knows Lois from Bensonhurst, but oh well, I like Lisa anyway). Reese I don't think had much resemblance beyond vague looks. The rest are def Brendabots.

 

1 hour ago, carolineg said:

I am sure I am forgetting someone

 

That Kristin whatserface recurring player who was also a brunette lawyer like Claire, before? they brought in Reese, when Mo's onscreen cachet was at a particular low. Jordan was her name. Embarrassing. 

 

ETA: Kristin Minter, that was it.

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vee said:

I don't think Olivia qualifies as a Brenda replacement; she was more a Lois pastiche (and silly, since Lisa auditioned for NuLois and was later paired with Ned; the character backgrounds are almost identical and Olivia knows Lois from Bensonhurst, but oh well, I like Lisa anyway). Reese I don't think had much resemblance beyond vague looks. The rest are def Brendabots.

 

 

That Kristin whatserface recurring player who was also a brunette lawyer like Claire, before? they brought in Reese, when Mo's onscreen cachet was at a particular low. Jordan was her name. Embarrassing. 

 

Olivia is more a Lois clone for sure.  But due to her looks and Sonny connection I put her in the Brendabot category.  Didn't LLC actually say they considered her as a Brenda recast?  And then the show dropped that idea obviously.  I don't hate Olivia or anything, but Kate literally could have filled the same role Olivia did and they could have made LLC Lois instead.

 

I can't really remember Reese or any of her characteristics that well.  But you are probably right.  The only thing I remember is thinking KW looked a lot like Jennifer Bransford's Carly and I would get them confused lol.  So we will just put her on the list of failed Sonny love interests.

 

I vaguely remember the lawyer Jordan.  Then there was Amelia?  The producer of Sam's stupid tv show that secretly hated Sam.  Also, there was Carly's divorce lawyer that Sonny slept with, but I truly can't remember her name.  They are all fairly interchangeable to me.  

 

I am not sure I can think of a leading man who struck out with more love interests than Sonny.  He basically has only had 2 successful pairings in 30 years.  If I am generous, I'll give him MW's Kate.  I liked them. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't think Olivia, in concept or character, resembled Brenda in any way beyond having dark hair. She was obviously a Lois clone and why they didn't just cast her as Lois in the first place is beyond me. She did audition for it in the 2000s but Lesli Kay got the part. I think Reese was an original Pratt concept that bombed bc in Wuhrer they thought they were casting a "name" from his old Spelling soap days and primetime cable who has never been a good actress or capable of authority.

 

Annie Wersching (Amelia) went on to fame as Kiefer Sutherland's love interest and costar in the later seasons of 24. They stupidly killed her off in the final season.

 

I liked Kate a lot. It's a shame what happened. What's strange is how they quickly brought in Olivia with Dante in the wings as a spoiler for Kate and Sonny and suggested she, not Kate, was his true love, after setting up Kate/Connie and her background with him so carefully. It's like someone (Guza or whoever) didn't like Kate/Ward and decided they needed to hedge their bets and establish Olivia as having an equally strong backstory with Sonny. That always pissed me off.

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites

On Y&R, Eileen Davidson's "assertive ingenue" Ashley Abbott debuted in 1982, just when Jaime Lyn Bauer made it clear she planned to vacate the Lorie Brooks role. 

Within a couple of years, Ashley had snagged Lorie's "bio dad drama", subbing John Abbott for Stuart Brooks, and she also became Victor's "muse" to foil Nikki.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drucilla on YR : Alex Perez, Karen, Tyra, Yo Harmony, Leslie, Hilary, Amanda 

 

Chloe on YR : Chelsea 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 hours ago, Vee said:

I just don't think Olivia, in concept or character, resembled Brenda in any way beyond having dark hair. She was obviously a Lois clone and why they didn't just cast her as Lois in the first place is beyond me. She did audition for it in the 2000s but Lesli Kay got the part. I think Reese was an original Pratt concept that bombed bc in Wuhrer they thought they were casting a "name" from his old Spelling soap days and primetime cable who has never been a good actress or capable of authority.

 

Annie Wersching (Amelia) went on to fame as Kiefer Sutherland's love interest and costar in the later seasons of 24. They stupidly killed her off in the final season.

 

I liked Kate a lot. It's a shame what happened. What's strange is how they quickly brought in Olivia with Dante in the wings as a spoiler for Kate and Sonny and suggested she, not Kate, was his true love, after setting up Kate/Connie and her background with him so carefully. It's like someone (Guza or whoever) didn't like Kate/Ward and decided they needed to hedge their bets and establish Olivia as having an equally strong backstory with Sonny. That always pissed me off.

I was hoping when Brook Lynn got slashed I was hoping for an appearance from Lois. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vee said:

I just don't think Olivia, in concept or character, resembled Brenda in any way beyond having dark hair. She was obviously a Lois clone and why they didn't just cast her as Lois in the first place is beyond me. She did audition for it in the 2000s but Lesli Kay got the part. I think Reese was an original Pratt concept that bombed bc in Wuhrer they thought they were casting a "name" from his old Spelling soap days and primetime cable who has never been a good actress or capable of authority.

 

Annie Wersching (Amelia) went on to fame as Kiefer Sutherland's love interest and costar in the later seasons of 24. They stupidly killed her off in the final season.

 

I liked Kate a lot. It's a shame what happened. What's strange is how they quickly brought in Olivia with Dante in the wings as a spoiler for Kate and Sonny and suggested she, not Kate, was his true love, after setting up Kate/Connie and her background with him so carefully. It's like someone (Guza or whoever) didn't like Kate/Ward and decided they needed to hedge their bets and establish Olivia as having an equally strong backstory with Sonny. That always pissed me off.

 

That's fair.  I just think the close resemblance to VM made me immediately put Olivia in the Brenda category.  I guess if anything it proved that even young Sonny had a type.  Something had to be up with Megan Ward behind the scenes.  Skate was popular (ish) and she was great in the role.  And then they gave Olivia basically the same backstory except with a kid and recast with Kelly Sullivan.  It was wholly unnecessary for Sonny to have not one, but 2 previous great loves in his past that we had never heard of.  And then Ron gave Kate/Connie DID and killed her off and basically destroyed Sonny's last decent pairing.  I never heard anything bad about MW, but someone must have disliked her.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beth Chamberlin's Beth on GL was brought back as a totally different character just to try to replicate the formula of Annie vs. Reva with Beth vs. Harley...MADD loved her some formula.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Joseph Bottoms (Kirk) replace Joel Crothers (Jack) in a story with Eden on Santa Barbara?

The Sheila (?) girl on AMC wasn't more or less a Jenny recast?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Tell a friend

    Love Soap Opera Network Community? Tell a friend!
  • Posts

    • I feel like I would’ve been more invested had Uk not aired at the same time and been such a joyous show. They need to take a page out of the BBC and do a more genuine season that isn’t driven by shocks and producer manipulation to keep it interesting. 
    • Yuh-Jung Youn just won the Supporting Actress BAFTA, which is a boost for her Oscar prospects. Would be only the second actress of Asian descent (to my knowledge) to win an Oscar after Miyoshi Umeki for Sayonara in 1958.
    • RHoJohannesburg   @Cheap21 @Chris B maybe not over yet?         RHOA   What? Not Finale Promo when it's actually NEXT WEEK!!!!    
    • Wendy Riche spoke about dealing with the network when she wanted to tell an AIDS story before the Labine had decided on Stone and Robin. She had gone to the network about having A.J. Quartermaine contract the disease from a situation that would leave people asking who slept with who. Of course, it's also rumored that Marland intended for Hank Eliot, not his lover Charles, to die of the disease. In both scenarios, there is definitely a concern about perpetuating a stereotype that gay men are promiscuous.    Here's the transcript from the Riche interview on WeLoveSoaps:     I'm watching a bit of 1995. There is a scene that I watched, before seeing this more recently, where A.J. shows up at the gatehouse and crashes a girls' night with Brenda and Lois. I believe the purpose of the scene is for Ned to walk in and be upset that A.J. is meddling, but there are moments where I feel like A.J. enjoyed just dishing the dirt with the ladies and that the show was testing the waters at pre- "Will and Grace" dynamic between A.J. and the ladies. It's entirely possible I completely misread the scene as well.   
    • It’s hard. These shows just weren’t built with us in mind. I feel like there was a small window to tell really strong LGBTQ stories in the early-to-mid ‘90s when society had advanced enough to be somewhat inclusive and soaps had become more grounded after their ‘80s flights of fancy yet still had quality and budget.     These remaining soaps are a lost cause. They are essentially zombies coasting on a mostly conservative audience born before the Kennedy administration. They can barely tell watchable stories about *anything.*   Most primetime portrayals don’t even really do it for me. Ryan Murphy has been an absolute scourge. The best screen depictions of gay men for me have always been movies like “My Beautiful Laundrette” and “Happy Together” and the rare TV series like the British version of “Queer As Folk.” (Hope the new one set in New Orleans can approach that quality.)
  • Recent Status Updates

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy