ALL: Characters obviously developed to “replace” popular departed characters

In the GH thread, there’s discussion of the development of Sam McCall (Kelly Monaco) as one of the many attempt replacements for Vanessa Marcil’s iconic Brenda Barrett. What other obvious attempts have soaps made to replace a popular departing character? Roles that may as well have been simple recasts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carly Manning on DAYS to replace Hope, obviously.

Rachel Welles to replace Allison MacKenzie on Peyton Place and in season 4 they have another Allison replacement in form of Jill Smith.

2 minutes ago, Taoboi said:

I saw this and thought immediately (though I liked her) of Genie Francis's Guinevere on Y&R attempt to replace Jess Walton's Jill.

Totally. And you could say Debbi Morgan’s YoHarmony was an attempt to replace VR’s Dru.

6 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Totally. And you could say Debbi Morgan’s YoHarmony was an attempt to replace VR’s Dru.

See? I never saw Debbi that way surprisingly during that time. I just wish they would write her better because Yolanda as written was full of possibilities and then her relationship with Tucker was never explored.

However, Guinevere...other than her intro which I liked...the stories she got were stories I would go 'that's a story Jill should be in...' especially with her connections.

1 minute ago, Taoboi said:

See? I never saw Debbi that way surprisingly during that time. I just wish they would write her better because Yolanda as written was full of possibilities and then her relationship with Tucker was never explored.

Eva Marcille’s Tyra was more obvious, and they even made mention of it, but I did think they gave DM lines and a sort of attitude that would have matched VR.

3 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Eva Marcille’s Tyra was more obvious, and they even made mention of it, but I did think they gave DM lines and a sort of attitude that would have matched VR.

Totally agree on Tyra. Sorry Eva the Diva.

Yeah, I remember some of those attitude moments falling flat. Sadly.

All the fake-ass Shemar's on Y&RWesley, Damon, Detective Webber, Detective Wallace, Mason, Tyler, Jordan, Nate. Eddie Winslow doesn't count.

2 minutes ago, kalbir said:

All the fake-ass Shemar's on Y&RWesley, Damon, Detective Webber, Detective Wallace, Mason, Tyler, Jordan, Nate. Eddie Winslow doesn't count.

LOL Eddie Winslow doesn't count 

Wasn't one of those detectives the one who were investigating Gina's burning down? 

1 minute ago, Forever8 said:

Wasn't one of those detectives the one who were investigating Gina's burning down? 

Yeah that would've been Detective Webber.

Caleb and Ellie Snyder were clear attempts at replacing the departing Meg and Holden. (Marland was clever enough to have them tucked away in the family history from the start so there was no Jack Snyder situation)

With the loss of Iris on AW, Judith McConnell arrived as  Miranda Bishop , an Iris type character.

Not popular but Days rid themselves of Kellam Chandler and then Stuart Whyland arrived to represent the powerful businessman with shady connections. When Stefano DiMera arrived, Stuart was dispatched. 3rd time lucky.

Edited by Paul Raven

Y&R
Tucker McCall as Victor Newman (there was some kind of EB drama during that time)
Gloria replaced Jill in the Abbott stories

Genie Francis felt like a "threat" to MTS as far as I am concerned
Cally as nu-Dru?

GH
Laura Templeton?

1 hour ago, Elsa said:

GH
Laura Templeton?

Good pick.

1 hour ago, Paul Raven said:

With the loss of Iris on AW, Judith McConnell arrived as  Miranda Bishop , an Iris type character.

Very much so. Poor Judith was wasted on that empty part.