Iconic Soap Stars Who Flopped In Other Roles

12 hours ago, AbcNbc247 said:

And I definitely have to add Robin Strasser. She was iconic on AW and OLTL, but she was awful as Vivian on DAYS.

Don't forget her work on PASSIONS. I remember Hecuba coming on with a lot of fanfare and petering out fairly quickly (I guess not too many OLTL fans changed the channel). Also, wasn't her role on AMC not particularly memorable?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry----I wouldn't have hired Gaskill to play a dogcatcher in a bad Disney movie after seeing him as either Katie's stalker or Dylan Lewis. I understand the frustration with stunt casting, but that doesn't make the actors "flops"---they did the  temp job they were hired to do. It's even hard to fault the parade actors B&B has gone through over the decades, when you already know Bell will lose interest in them after six weeks, no matter WHO they are. 

Michael Easton---Silas Clay/Ham Finn  GH  I do not understand GH's obsession with this dude. He's so low energy he makes paint drying a fascinating afternoon.

2 hours ago, ironlion said:

As for her time on CBS, why would ATWT name her Julia after Jack's ex-wife "Julia" was literally on the show one or two years earlier? 

*shudders in memory*  That was literally the point. Jack. who'd lost his memory, connected with the names "Julia" and "JJ". (His ex-wife and the name of "their" baby she foisted on him after raping him....)

*damn Pissy and Sheffer to hell...*  

7 minutes ago, P.J. said:

Michael Easton---Silas Clay/Ham Finn  GH  I do not understand GH's obsession with this dude. He's so low energy he makes paint drying a fascinating afternoon.

You might not like him, but I wouldn't say that the character of Finn is a flop. He's been there for nearly 5 years now, and the show keeps expanding his family; he's now at the center of a big story with Kim Delaney's Jackie Templeton.

For my tastes, Finn (with his dry sense of humor) is one of the only characters I can stand to watch on GH these days. And I actually think he's a better fit for Easton's talents than John McBain on OLTL, who might have been popular with certain segments of the audience, but really was like watching paint dry. Paint in some kind of dour, self-pitying shade of grey. 

16 minutes ago, Franko said:

Don't forget her work on PASSIONS. I remember Hecuba coming on with a lot of fanfare and petering out fairly quickly (I guess not too many OLTL fans changed the channel). Also, wasn't her role on AMC not particularly memorable?

I've only ever seen one episode of her AMC run (Tom and Erica's wedding - I watch it yearly on their anniversary :lol:), but yes, Christina didn't seem to be the most exciting character. With Erica in her young, selfish twat prime and Brooke in her early vixen phase, it's hard to imagine RS could have ever stolen the show with blah Christina. Her heading for Llanview was just the best possible scenario for all involved.

1 hour ago, titan1978 said:

I also thought Madison was a good idea, and the right actress, but they didn’t do anything with it.  If they had built up the rivalry, and really let the story build, I could have easily seen Madison and Kate sniping at each other for years.

Stefan on GH wasn’t a flop.  But I will always wonder what would have happened if Guza had not left for Sunset Beach.  There was so much momentum and the show was still more grounded like Riche wanted, but it had more fun and intrigue compared to Labine.

The hospital takeover, Bobbie married to Stefan, Laura’s turmoil, Luke’s rage...There was so much good stuff happening related to Stefan.

THIS. 

Some could say good stuff is still happening due to Nik...who Stefan basically raised. And lives up, having those same conflicts over his Cassandine roots that Stefan himself had.

10 hours ago, NothinButAttitude said:

Did we mention Sarah Brown on ATWT, B&B, and DOOL?

Madison would've been a success had they actually played up on her being a business tycoon and her rivalry with Kate. 

Her character on ATWT was doomed from the start being named Julia and being wedged in between Jack/Carly. Dare I say it but I always wished that they would've just made her Cassie on GL seeing as Laura Wright was on her way out. 

And B&B totally fumbled SB's talent as Aggie. I hate that they had her as some frumpy surrogate for Bridgette that pined over Nick when she oozed of sex appeal that could've rivaled Brooke, Katie, and Donna. 

I would have loved to see Sarah tackling Cassie. I think she would've had chemistry with Kim Zimmer and probably might've been written with Cassie's street smarts she retained from her life prior coming to Springfield. I also imagine she and Crystal Chappell would've been great together as friends/business partners. 

36 minutes ago, Forever8 said:

I would have loved to see Sarah tackling Cassie. I think she would've had chemistry with Kim Zimmer and probably might've been written with Cassie's street smarts she retained from her life prior coming to Springfield. I also imagine she and Crystal Chappell would've been great together as friends/business partners. 

That was dream casting for Cassie after LW left. Sarah and Kim would've been PERFECTION as sisters. Also, we would've seen Cassie regain some of that strength that she lost once LW vacated the role. 

13 hours ago, Franko said:

Idk about AMC.

With Passions, I don’t think it was a total flop. Hecuba was never meant to be a long running character. I think that was more stunt casting then anything 

For those that watched, I know Denise Alexander was a huge hit on GH and DAYS.  But I hear very little about her time on AW.  Was the character important, or was her time there easily forgotten?

4 hours ago, titan1978 said:

For those that watched, I know Denise Alexander was a huge hit on GH and DAYS.  But I hear very little about her time on AW.  Was the character important, or was her time there easily forgotten?

The character was important during the years that she was on,  but in terms of looking at AW in general, her character could easily be forgotten. Once her initial story arc ended, the writer really didn't do much with her. But I also heard that the only reason that DA left AW was because she wanted to go back to California full time.