Sign in to follow this  
Faulkner

Daytime’s Best Criers: Actors Who Can Turn on the Waterworks

Say what you will about Deidre Hall's acting, but that woman can cry on cue like no other.

Tamara Braun was always a good crier.  Both characters she played on GH were crying all the time lol.

10 hours ago, Faulkner said:

and was actually looking for a representative clip for LD, maybe from her alcoholism story on AW.

Felicia trying to call 911 in uncontrollable tears at a phone booth because she's too drunk to drive is bone chilling:

For loooooong-time (i.e. ancient, LOL) soap viewers, Jacqueline Courtney owns this thread. 

Also, Denise Alexander (particularly on Days) and Judith Light.

Colleen Zenk (ATWT - Barbara) cries easily and quite naturally.

14 hours ago, carolineg said:

Say what you will about Deidre Hall's acting, but that woman can cry on cue like no other.

I don't watch Days enough, but I remember vividly an '80s interview of Tracey Bregman (Y&R - Lauren) where she gushed about being mentored by Diedre when she was Donna on Days (pre-Y&R).  Apparently she heard from Diedre that there is a muscle in the back of the neck that once you're trained to control it, you could cry on cue.  I know next to nothing about acting, but that just sounded so unusual and unbelievable  - and has stayed with me to this day.

I have never really enjoyed Linda Dano as an actress.

Alison Sweeney is for sure a face scrunched up and not a tear to be see kind of soap crier.  The show should write to her talents, and stop giving her highly  emotional material.

I remember once on GH, I think it was Serena’s birthday, or Scotty had sent Lucy a photo or video of her, and she was just sobbing.  Tears, red face, snot, the works.  I had always liked Lucy’s antics and thought she was a capable actress.  But I was blown away by those scenes.  I really appreciated GH for letting us see the depths of Lucy without taking away the parts of her that were fun to watch.

Deidre Hall can really shine when given the material. These days, all these dime store budget villains John & Marlena are encountering couldn't muster up tears of fear on anyone. 

Sweeney, Alfonso (except when Zach died) and Susan Seaforth-Hayes, as much as I love them all, usually resort to dry heaving. Think: when everyone was "dying" in 2004 and all their dry tears in reaction. Oy.