RIP: In Memoriam Thread

Her last credit is the final episode of How To Get Away With Murder and in it there was a part of the ending montage where her character passed away. She never retired and gave good performances her entire life.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

Her memoir was just released two days ago, and she had been doing press for it.

An essential watch. She had the last word.

Oh, Lord.  What can I say about Cicely Tyson that hasn't been said already?  Wypipo had Meryl; we (POC) had Cicely.

She brought dignity and class to every production she appeared in.  Rare is the moment when I, as a Black man, have not felt transformed by one of her many, artful performances.

African-Americans, and African-American actresses in particular, owe Miss Tyson a tremendous debt for the doors she broke down through her body of work -- and no, there will never, ever be another one like her.

Rest in peace and in power, my Queen.  Thank you again for your work and your convictions.  We will miss you always.

1 hour ago, Vee said:

An essential watch. She had the last word.

The young guy on Gayle's left (sorry, don't know his name) was right: she often spoke so eloquently that you HAD to sit up and pay attention.  Right now, I'm recalling her speech in front of the former slave quarters in "Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion," reminding everyone there what the TRUE purpose of a family reunion is and urging Black men and women to "take their place."  Overall, that movie, like most of Tyler Perry's stuff, was colorist, misogynistic crap; but oh, how she (and Maya Angelou) managed to elevate even THAT piece of dung is something that will never stop amazing me.

Edited by Khan

Cicely was such a legend...I feel like she was somewhat forgotten for a number of years. I'm glad she was with us long enough for her to get more of the showcases she deserved. I really need to go back and watch East Side/West Side.

Kelly and Ryan did one of the last (perhaps the last) interviews with Ms. Tyson. They aired it today and paid tribute to her.

"Mainstream" culture may have lost track of her for a few years but in Black culture, Black women, in particular, Cicely Tyson has been ever present. Films starring her still air on BET, Bounce and TVOne frequently. She, like Diahann Caroll were two examples of Black womanhood that represented a dignity, a humanity and a beauty that spanned socio-economic strata and time itself.

R.I.P. Ms. Tyson

Like most of us, I have many issues with Tyler Perry but the fact that he made a point to pad her paychecks on his films (after discovering how little she got paid in the '70s) and named one of his soundstages after her while she was alive - a gesture she apparently was very moved by - softens me slightly.

That’s awful. I saw she fell after climbing up to get a better look at the full moon. Just a terrible tragedy.  

This was so startling when it came out.