Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loren Lott’s latest Tik Tok has more views than Y&R. She is regularly going viral on social media. That is a dream for any tv or film production. They actually pay people more if they have strong social media followings. This is yet another example of how embarrassing the racism in soaps is. Y&R never tried with her and she was so charismatic. 

On 9/1/2020 at 12:08 AM, Dylan said:

Mark Ruffalo says he tried so hard to get on a soap but they told him he was too ethnic https://mobile.twitter.com/yikesitsamy/status/1299966971664986112

I presume this is in relation to American soaps? Because I first became aware of Mark Ruffalo in the late 90’s (or early 00’s) from Australian soap opera Home And Away. I don’t recall much about his character other than he made a dramatic exit in a plane/helicopter 🤣

The Cdn YR

Spoiler

They have lily and billy talking about systamatic racism and his privilege and how they need to be more diverse at chancellor snd do better. 

Edited by Dylan
1 hour ago, Dylan said:

The Cdn YR

Hide contents

They have lily and billy talking about systematic racism and his privilege and how they need to be more diverse at chancellor snd do better. 

I about fell off my chair when I read the recap.

Here is what is says in the SOC recap Tues Sept 8 CDN (Wed Sept 9 US):

Spoiler

Lily says she met some remarkable women of color at the conference; wants to some major hiring. Billy thinks they're a good example of diversity. Lily thinks they should talk. Lily says they have to do better, work harder, wants to do a college outreach. Says there's a lot of voices out there and they have to listen closely. Billy says he knows his privilege, saw it for himself building homes after Katrina.
Lily says you learn it young, she heard all the time as a kid, the twins too, people asking "Where are you from?" Billy very supportive

From the twitter recap: Lily says she wants to hire a truly diverse team that can represent the country. Billy says he's seen systematic racism 

Edited by janea4old
2 minutes ago, janea4old said:

I about fell off my chair when I read the recap.

Here is what is says in the SOC recap Tues Sept 8 CDN (Wed Sept 9 US):

Reveal hidden contents

LOL. Let’s see them put their money where their mouths are or if this is them just dropping fashionable terms as a gesture.

7 hours ago, Faulkner said:

LOL. Let’s see them put their money where their mouths are or if this is them just dropping fashionable terms as a gesture.

I agree!

Edited by janea4old

Now we have Lily recounting the microaggressions she has received (and we have never witnessed though we’ve known her for 20 years). Hmmm how about you show those microaggressions in a scene? That’s basic storytelling...

5 hours ago, Aback said:

Now we have Lily recounting the microaggressions she has received (and we have never witnessed though we’ve known her for 20 years). Hmmm how about you show those microaggressions in a scene? That’s basic storytelling...

Sounds pretty embarrassing to watch.  

6 hours ago, ChitHappens said:

Sounds pretty embarrassing to watch.  

It’s what every modern show is doing these days. 

The conversation probably would have hit harder coming from Amanda and not Billy. CK and her portrayal of Lily has benefited from colorism more so than any character/actress I can recall.