Jump to content


Faulkner

Racism and racial representation on soaps

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

I don't think many Black actors would be crying over missing out on the blow up dolls.

 

These issues that daytime soaps have makes me SMH. I also think viewers who are so afraid that the shows will get canceled that they'll watch any piece of schlock are also complicit. There has bee no collective movement to get these shows improve on their abysmal records on lack of representation, especially behind the scenes and I think because these shows have never had to truly improve, many have lurched toward cancellation with their lack of innovation.

 

Preachhhhhh!!!!! Viewers are complicit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

I don't think many Black actors would be crying over missing out on the blow up dolls.

 

These issues that daytime soaps have makes me SMH. I also think viewers who are so afraid that the shows will get canceled that they'll watch any piece of schlock are also complicit. There has bee no collective movement to get these shows improve on their abysmal records on lack of representation, especially behind the scenes and I think because these shows have never had to truly improve, many have lurched toward cancellation with their lack of innovation.

Surely not, but I'm sure it didn't cross their mind to have racially diverse dolls since the show lacks so much in diversity. 

 

Similarly, I think the lack of diversity comes from the top and stems from an irrational fear of scaring off the last remaining viewers. As if having black characters front and center is going to drive away white viewers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow....

https://tvline.com/2020/06/24/melissa-reeves-racism-days-of-our-lives-instagram-controversy/

 

 

5 hours ago, David_Vickers said:

DAYS should fire Melissa Reeves this time.  I love Jennifer and have been a Melissa Reeves fan since her days as Jade Perkins on SANTA BARBARA. But she most definitely should be given  a  chance to apologize, I guess first.  IF she refuses, then fire her ass and re-cast.  Beth Chamberlin (ex-Beth, GL), Cady McClain (ex-Dixie, AMC, ex-Rosanna, ATWT, ex-Kelly, Y&R), Gina Tognoni (ex-Phyllis, Y&R ex-Kelly OLTL, ex-Dinah GL), Sandra Dee Robinson (ex-Amanda, AW, ex-Felicia, GH), & Krista Tesreau (ex-Mindy, GL, ex-Tina, OLTL) are some of the opts I've come up with who could take over as Jenn.  I think Beth Chamberlin and Sandra Dee Robinson are the best options looks wise. 

Gina Tognoni could be fire in the role (still can't believe Y&R let her go!) and take it in a whole new direction...maybe free Jennifer from the Jack union since both characters are kind of written in a corner at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a little bit of context about why Reeves liking anything by Candace Owens is disturbing.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/429180-candace-owens-if-hitler-just-wanted-to-make-germany-great-and

Conservative activist Candace Owens said it would have been “OK” if Adolf Hitler wanted to keep his activities to Germany while speaking at a British conference in December.

Owens was responding to a question about her support for nationalism and said it was different from Nazi Germany.

"If Hitler just wanted to make Germany great and have things run well — OK, fine,” she said after she was asked about the word “nationalism,” according to BuzzFeed News, which first reported her remarks. 

“The problem is he had dreams outside of Germany,” she continued. “He wanted to globalize. He wanted everybody to be German.”

 

And this is when she called black people chimpanzees.

https://www.mediamatters.org/candace-owens/candace-owens-says-black-people-act-trained-chimpanzee-whenever-black-person-murdered

"That's how you have to be Black"? Listen to your psychological conditioning. If to be Black, you can't speak in proper English, or you're "acting white." Right? To be Black, you instantly have to jump up like a [!@#$%^&*] trained chimpanzee - excuse my language - like a trained chimpanzee every single time the media runs a story, and act angry, and riot, and talk about how pained you were to see this happen to Black people, but keep your mouth shut, right, when it happens Black-on-Black because if you talk about the Black-on-Black crime, you're a race traitor, right?

 

Candace Owens is a full on white supremacist and if Reeves is a fan of hers then she probably is one too. This isn't a mere difference in ideology or opinion. It's the difference between sanity and hateful, dangerous racism.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Direct link to above fb video:
https://www.facebook.com/TheYoungandtheRestless/videos/1392131277640398/

 

Youtube link to the same clip, but it might be geo-blocked outside the US:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqEoQBAzomI

 

The clip is from the 2006 epi that was rebroadcast today June 24.  Bryton won the 2007 Emmy for it.

 

Devon was talking about Drucilla but...

As I watched today, it felt like a parallel to Victoria Rowell. She's not crazy. She just defends what's right.

 

And even more, this clip feels to me like a parallel to everything that's going on on the world.  Carmen Mesta is being a Karen getting Dru arrested for no reason.   Carmen is afraid. Says Dru started it. etc. And Devon calls her out.

Edited by janea4old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

I know right. Haha do flame wars and board wars even exist in 2020 anymore?

 


Just for the fun of it, [S.W.S.N.B.N.] !

 

Ok my curiosity is piqued by this. Whose name is being censored exactly?? It’s rushing way over my head here. PM me if you need to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 11:14 PM, SFK said:

 

Yes, Arthur Burghardt. She never ever calls him by name, but that's who. She *begged* for him not to be cast.

 

 

 

 

What an incredible interview, thank you for posting that, @SFK  I live in the UK so I wasn't familiar with Ellen Holly, but I will watch the rest of those interviews with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, janea4old said:

 

Direct link to above fb video:
https://www.facebook.com/TheYoungandtheRestless/videos/1392131277640398/

 

Youtube link to the same clip, but it might be geo-blocked outside the US:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqEoQBAzomI

 

The clip is from the 2006 epi that was rebroadcast today June 24.  Bryton won the 2007 Emmy for it.

 

Devon was talking about Drucilla but...

As I watched today, it felt like a parallel to Victoria Rowell. She's not crazy. She just defends what's right.

 

And even more, this clip feels to me like a parallel to everything that's going on on the world.  Carmen Mesta is being a Karen getting Dru arrested for no reason.   Carmen is afraid. Says Dru started it. etc. And Devon calls her out.

This is an isolated clip, but overall, Latham wrote terribly for Dru even though she kept her front-burner. 

 

Latham had scenes like Dru breaking into Carmen's closet and madly ripping up her clothes with a pair of scissors, and of course getting physical with Carmen at Newman. She often wrote Dru like a "ghetto woman" stereotype in other parts of that story. Carmen was definitely insensitive and indirect with her animosity a lot of the time though, which was the opposite of Dru and really pushed her buttons. 

 

Can a Latina like Carmen be classed as a 'Karen?"  It's a complicated matter when all characters involved are underrepresented minorities. 

 

 

Edited by BetterForgotten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

This is an isolated clip, but overall, Latham wrote terribly for Dru even though she kept her front-burner. 

 

Latham had scenes like Dru breaking into Carmen's closet and madly ripping up her clothes with a pair of scissors, and of course getting physical with Carmen at Newman. She often wrote Dru like a "ghetto woman" stereotype in other parts of that story. Carmen was definitely insensitive and indirect with her animosity a lot of the time though, which was the opposite of Dru and really pushed her buttons. 

 

Can a Latina like Carmen be classed as a 'Karen?"  It's a complicated matter when all characters involved are underrepresented minorities. 

 

I read an old recap or summary mentioning Dru cutting up Carmen's clothes and I thought that was not really what Dru would have done.  The show wrote Phyllis cutting up Sharon's clothes, too. But Phyllis is supposed to be crazy.  Dru isn't. 


Carmen isn't a really a Karen, as you pointed out.  But I was trying to say that Dru being upset at Carmen, and even cutting up the clothes,  Dru getting physical with Carmen --- for those things Carmen wanted Dru imprisoned and the D.A said the best deal he could offer was two years in prison.  Two years in prison is not appropriate.

 

I haven't seen many of that year's episodes, but I've been reading the recaps for that year, and It seems like Carmen was written to be a manipulative character who "preys on married men" said one summary. I don't know. I haven't seen enough clips of her to get what she was really like.   Was Carmen simply being a bad person and trying to get rid of the competition for Neil and didn't care if imprisoning Dru was unjust?   Or was Carmen being a "Karen" in that the writers were using Carmen as someone who thought of Dru as ghetto/dangerous/unsafe and must be arrested?   I can't tell from reading the recaps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carmen was a mess of a character, much like everything else Latham wrote. Dru/Neil were having marital problems before Carmen (mainly due to fining out Lilly was Malcolm's biological daughter), Carmen saw an opportunity there and tried to weave herself in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Vizion said:

 

Preachhhhhh!!!!! Viewers are complicit

 

Yep! And it's SO frustrating.

 

I tried to get folks on social media talking about Rowell and Dru and was blown off. "It's too late" etc. It's not even about that. It's CORRECTING THE WRONG DONE TO HER.

 

The outrage viewers had over Loren Lott's firing lasted all of like a day or two until Y&R placated fans by bringing Mishael back at the same time.

 

Why is more noise not being made about a Black actress being told "we have no story for you" yet they have no trouble with everyone else. 

Edited by KMan101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Carmen was a mess of a character, much like everything else Latham wrote. Dru/Neil were having marital problems before Carmen (mainly due to fining out Lilly was Malcolm's biological daughter), Carmen saw an opportunity there and tried to weave herself in. 

 

Thank you. I don't think there was much thought put into the Carmen character. However I'll say that the "Of course you don't understand, you can't hear me" was a subtle way to show how condescending and ignorant she was. For all of Latham's fault, I think we were supposed to be on Dru's side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...