Marco Dane

The Story of Soaps Primetime Special

4 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

They blew their budget on all of these elaborate graphics. Which are great, but...

That quick sequence where it’s “The Story of Soaps” set in various soap fonts looks neat.

Ooohhhh chile, did I just see Eric Nies and that big ghetto booty laid out across a bed?

2 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Jenny and Greg.

Thank you. I thought they were an AMC couple since he does have a good relationship with Kelly Ripa and has mentioned Lucci a lot in the past. 

Wow, nice to see the actress who played Kristen Shepard on Dallas. I was binging the show a while ago and am still watching although at a much slower rate. She's looking great. 

9 minutes ago, GLATWT88 said:

Awww Tom and Margo!

I do appreciate the story or Luke and Laura and I appreciate that they address it later on. I think that it was a reflection of the time and it was a mistake, but I think they made it right by addressing it later on. 

That and Luke & Laura didn’t last the whole decade. I always felt Luke & Laura unfairly get talked too much when it comes to soaps yet Victor & Nikki’s  is permanently cemented in a movie like Mr. Mom lol. Haha just my two cents and bias as a Y&R fan.

But Tom & Margo were definitely a couple that survived it all from illegitimate kids from affairs to horrible scenarios to awkward recasts. I don’t think any other soap couple were able to survive that much and yet still have an invested audience at the end of the day.

6 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Jenny and Greg.

I loved them, too. Of course, I was around 11 or 12 then, so...

There's been a lot of renewed energy around classic soaps in the past few years. Hopefully this generates some sort of reboot of any of the recently cancelled dramas or some kind of streaming episode release or streaming reboot. 

Edited by ironlion

5 minutes ago, GLATWT88 said:

Wow, nice to see the actress who played Kristen Shepard on Dallas. I was binging the show a while ago and am still watching although at a much slower rate. She's looking great. 

She looks amazing, Mary Crosby!

1 minute ago, ironlion said:

There's been a lot of renewed energy around classic soaps in the past few years. Hopefully this generatessome sort of reboot of any of the recently cancelled dramas or some kind of screaming episode release or streaming reboot. 

This special is trending No. 3 on Twitter, so maybe *some* notice will be taken?

They’re comparing all of these real life scandals to soaps, but news coverage of scandals still missed so much of what we love about soaps. There was no happy side of real life scandals, no warmth or positivity. There was no focus on how these scandals affected those involved on a personal day-to-day basis. It was just the big ugly drama and nothing else to balance it out. Notice how most of today’s serialized primetime dramas lack all of these things, too.

The people all giggly-faced waiting for the OJ verdict were awful.

35 minutes ago, All My Shadows said:

JFP is Liza Minnelli now?

She’s look like that for the last 15 years now, especially since the Daytime Emmys where she was cut off as soon as she spoke.

3 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Shut up, Andy Cohen!!

Was about to post the same fücking thing lol.

I admit I was almost as obsessed with The Real World growing as I was with the soaps. Same DNA with Mary Ellis-Bunim.

Edited by Faulkner

2 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

She’s look like that for the last 15 years now, especially since the Daytime Emmys where she was cut off as soon as she spoke.

And she sounds like her now too!

Jon Murray referred to MEB as “the queen of daytime.” Okay, Jon.

4 minutes ago, All My Shadows said:

They’re comparing all of these real life scandals to soaps, but news coverage of scandals still missed so much of what we love about soaps. There was no happy side of real life scandals, no warmth or positivity. There was no focus on how these scandals affected those involved on a personal day-to-day basis. It was just the big ugly drama and nothing else to balance it out. Notice how most of today’s serialized primetime dramas lack all of these things, too.

The people all giggly-faced waiting for the OJ verdict were awful.

I probably would have left this entire segment out or would have definitely refocused to describe how the traditional failed out yet instead blaming OJ. LOL some soaps where completely unaffected by OJ at all, it was 1996 where it fell it out.

Edited by soapfan770

Just now, Faulkner said:

Was about to post the same fücking thing lol.

I admit I was almost obsessed with The Real World growing as I was with the soaps. Same DNA with Mary Ellis-Bunim.

Any person who says something along the lines of "Soaps were unnecessary" has no right to be in a documentary about soap operas lol

15 minutes ago, All My Shadows said:

Ooohhhh chile, did I just see Eric Nies and that big ghetto booty laid out across a bed?

Twice.

I loved those first few seasons of TRW. So many moments etched in my memory.