Soapsuds

Y&R to air classic episodes

23 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Not very closely at all. Brad Bell was Alden’s boss and Scott was/is the Supervising Producer, not EP.

Brad ultimately fired Alden too (she’s admitted this) but for reasons that were never disclosed publicly.

Oh God. I'd love to know 😅

20 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Not very closely at all. Brad Bell was Alden’s boss and Scott was/is the Supervising Producer, not EP.

Brad ultimately fired Alden too (she’s admitted this) but for reasons that were never disclosed publicly.

I didn’t realize he fired her, I thought she left of her own accord.  Wasn’t her period there considered a good time for the show?  The early part of the Steffi/Liam/Hope stuff?  I know the show was getting a lot of positive attention then and wasn’t as Brad Bell like as it had been.

I do not watch B&B, just see clips here and there and read what people say online.  I know the ratings were better for all the soaps then.

I dug up this news article from 2001, here's the gist of it: 

When asked why the role had been recast, a Y&R spokesperson told Soap Central, "The show is taking the character in a different direction."

However, Internet chatter, as you might expect, has a different take on the recast. In the first scenario, Donnelley is said to have chosen not to return the show. Her departure earlier this year was called "oddly timed" by at least one insider. Donnelley's character, Diane, was in the midst of a major storyline -- and suddenly the plot was wrapped up and Diane was gone. In a second scenario, Y&R head writer Kay Alden and executive producer Edward Scott are said to have had a disagreement over the way that the character should be used. It's unclear if this is the case, but the pair was involved in a much publicized disagreement earlier this year over the fate of another character, Sean Bridges. The resulting argument resulted in the popular Christopher Douglas being axed.

The truth of the matter is, however, that Donnelley was not contacted to return to the show, a decision Donnelley calls "disappointing."

The official reason for Donnelley's exit was "mandated by a storyline dictated exit" or something. Whatever. https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/news/2001/1008-donnelley_walters.php

I'm watching some clips from the 70's on YouTube and dammit is there any of these episodes laying around that Y&R could air? The background music is wonderful! The first clip with Brenda Dickson and Jeanne Cooper is fantastic.

3 minutes ago, StepBack said:

I'm watching some clips from the 70's on YouTube and dammit is there any of these episodes laying around that Y&R could air? The background music is wonderful! The first clip with Brenda Dickson and Jeanne Cooper is fantastic.

And there is soo much other great scenes from those years that I hope we one day get to see, these are hard enough to come across.

2 minutes ago, Legacy said:

And there is soo much other great scenes from those years that I hope we one day get to see, these are hard enough to come across.

Fingers crossed! I love the working class feeling and dialogue here. 

On 6/26/2020 at 1:08 AM, Chris B said:

I still think it’s wild to give Paul and Christine  a week, but those episodes all look good. Not so much because of them, but the other stuff we can see. I especially look forward to seeing Vivica Fox here, which is before my time. While I think there were better ways to showcase Paul and Christine, I guess it’s nice they’re getting something. 

Today with Emmy week I just finished Bryton’s episode and am now onto Eric Braeden’s episode. I know it’s unpopular, but I loved LML’s time at least until Victoria Rowell left. In this episode you got great business story, diversity with Ji Min and Adrian Korbel, the Winters as real multi-dimensional characters who mattered. It was lovely seeing a Victoria primarily supporting THEM. That wouldn’t happen now. In addition to Bryton, this was a year that Victoria Rowell deserved an Emmy. Idk who won in 2007, but that is Victoria’s Emmy. 

The Victor episode is interesting but not because of him. I don’t know how he won for this. Eric Braeden should have multiple Emmys and it’s insane to me he only got one for blah work. What I love about this episode is getting to see the original Grace! I feel Josie Davis would’ve worked better as Victoria. She’s a fine actress but clearly they wanted to take the character in a different direction. This is the best I’ve seen of Shari Shattuck’s Ashley who I never enjoyed. The Malcolm/Dru, Olivia/Neil scenes were nice and I also loved Katherine and her fur visiting John.

It’s amazing how much they packed into these episodes. You still get a similar number of characters per episode now, but it’s just so damn boring. 

I actually disliked the writing for Dru towards the end of LML. Unfortunately, VR acting also suffered and was OTT.

Eric Braeden is a fine actor. 

I didn't get much from Byton performance and admittedly I did find his competition better based on their body of work. I don't fault Byrton, he did good work. 

I must say I'm loving Brenda Epperson as Ashley! I wouldn't mind if they brought her back. Eileen is a fine actress, but BE adds a dimension of heart that's sometimes missing from ED. 

16 minutes ago, StepBack said:

I must say I'm loving Brenda Epperson as Ashley! I wouldn't mind if they brought her back. Eileen is a fine actress, but BE adds a dimension of heart that's sometimes missing from ED. 

I loved Brenda Epperson as Ashley. Eileen recently gave an interview with Michael Dairnab where she said she will not return full time and that’s she’s surprised they haven’t recast the role yet. Considering she’s so against a full time return I’d love for Brenda to come back post-quarantine. Ashley deserves better than just 2 episodes a month. Also for me, despite her being a recast I find Brenda’s Ashley to be the best. She could be tough but she had a warmth that I enjoyed in the role. Her chemistry with Traci, Jack and John was untouchable. 

3 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

What do you think precipitated her exit from B&B? She lasted 6 years or so there, and it seemed abrupt. 

3 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I didn’t realize he fired her, I thought she left of her own accord.  Wasn’t her period there considered a good time for the show?  The early part of the Steffi/Liam/Hope stuff?  I know the show was getting a lot of positive attention then and wasn’t as Brad Bell like as it had been.

I do not watch B&B, just see clips here and there and read what people say online.  I know the ratings were better for all the soaps then.

I thought it was good and the show felt more stable. The team was very Y&R veteran heavy among the writing team at the time. 

36 minutes ago, DaytimeFan said:

What do you think precipitated her exit from B&B? She lasted 6 years or so there, and it seemed abrupt. 

It’s hard to say, but she did seem a bit hurt at the time based on some fairly subtle comments she made on her Facebook page.

My guess would be that Brad didn’t feel her contributions were worth what he was paying her. He already had Minnis as his Co-HW and Patrick Mulcahey had gotten a story consultant credit as well. Between all of that, he likely felt he had gotten B&B fully into its next era and Alden’s services were no longer needed.

Alex Donnelly was fired due to age-ism I've always thought. She and Susan Walters aren't that far apart in age but AD looked significantly older nonetheless. 

Their reluctance to show early episodes could be based on a number of things...  Would need to be more heavily edited due to longer running times, not many ties to current characters, no African American families, sponsors may be afraid of younger demographic viewers not watching, the list goes on. .. ALL piss-poor excuses in my opinion.  Show them anyway (good ones only)!  Let the viewers decide if they want to watch them.  I think there's more of a demand for these to be shown than corporate heads realize.

They may not want to go through the effort of showing two 30-min episodes, or bother with editing two 30 min episodes to complete the hour-long timeslot. Little sh!t like that could be more money than they're willing to spend. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

55 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

They may not want to go through the effort of showing two 30-min episodes, or bother with editing two 30 min episodes to complete the hour-long timeslot. Little sh!t like that could be more money than they're willing to spend. 

They could take three 30-minute episodes and edit them into a 2-hour special. 

Or edit three 30-minute episodes into two one-hour episodes to rebroadcast on consecutive days.

I think that would allow enough time for modern commercials.

Edited by janea4old