Jump to content


Soapsuds

Y&R to air classic episodes

Recommended Posts

Didn’t realize until today that the actress who played Carmen has had a nice role on Blue Bloods for years, playing Danny Reagan’s cop partner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

Haha I thought of you because I know you've discussed that scene before, but I'm totally excited! :D  with Lauren vs Gina, and the Victor/Cora stuff it should be a great episode! :D 

I never knew lauren and gina had beef, i guess there scuffle has to do with Laurens father I guess. Cant wait to see this 1984 episode to bad that's the last time all the Brooks girls made a last trip together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

To some, Davetta Sherwood might not have been Lily - but she was definitely Dru's daughter. ;)

She was Lily to me more than Christel Khalil! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the 2006 episode because I skipped Nick & Phyllis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 7:00 PM, soapfan770 said:


Thank you, no wonder the theme week was so hard to figure out! Too bad one of JW’s Emmy winning eps couldn’t be squeezed in as a bonus unless maybe the following week is a Best of Jill week haha I can dream. 

 

I've seen the 1984 episode since it aired in Canada today - it's really good - be sure to watch the scenes with Victor, Nikki, Katherine, and Cora...now THAT is some amazing acting from Dorothy McGuire who played Victor's mother. 

 

And yes, I only wish one of JW's Emmy winning episodes had made it into the week. I really want a Best of Jill week too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaytimeFan said:

 

I've seen the 1984 episode since it aired in Canada today - it's really good - be sure to watch the scenes with Victor, Nikki, Katherine, and Cora...now THAT is some amazing acting from Dorothy McGuire who played Victor's mother. 

 

And yes, I only wish one of JW's Emmy winning episodes had made it into the week. I really want a Best of Jill week too!


The episode is terrific. Both storylines (Victor and his mother, Traci's suicide attempt) are really fascinating !

 

Characters involved are: Victor, Nikki, Kay, Cora, Danny, Cricket, Traci, Lauren, Gina, Amy, Tim.

Edited by FrenchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also seen the '84 episode.  I also saw it back in '84.  Lol.  To me, it was nothing special, but it did have a couple of classic music cues at the very end.  Y&R never really felt the same after they started changing out the classic music cues, starting around spring of '82, though they still used many of them sporadically here and there throughout the '80s and even a little bit into the '90s.

 

The rest of the Abbott clan (besides Jack) was also introduced in '82.  I never cared much for them.  Other long-time actors were departing at the same time, much of it having to do with the switch from the half-hour format to the hour-long format.  I felt the show had kind of lost it's way ever since, but it certainly has had many great stories and moments along the way, even if I didn't care for the show on a whole anymore like I used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global has Monday 6/29's U.S repeat already listed: #5450: OAD: September 21, 1994! 

I have the date before, and that episode has Dru telling Neil she's pregnant (while feeling guilty that it might be Malcolm's baby) Paul proposing to Chris, Victoria and Cole trying to get over the centerfold stuff, while dining out, but some jerk starts harassing Victoria and Cole decks him, and some Keemo/Luan stuff.
I have know idea what this theme could be, but at least it's a new date! :) (hopefully it's not wrong though) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like a good choice! They probably aren't going to take my idea of doing a July 4th theme week ;) but maybe they will give us a classic July 4th ep on Friday, July 3.

 

Edit: I can't find a full update on the old Google Groups/UseNet forum, just the spoilers for the week of September 19th:

 

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.tv.soaps/F2vhDBraJVg

John Silva warns Jill that John would not allow her to keep working at Jabots once she files for divorce.  Ashley asks for Paul's opinion about Marilyn's signature and the one on the painting she received as a wedding gift.  Mary doesn't like the idea of Paul marrying Christine.   Later, he proposes to Christine.  Victoria finally understands why Cole is upset with her.

Edited by BoldRestless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a recap for Sept 19, 1994 (two epis before the one that will be rebroadcast)

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps/-FagxPDyI4c/TrrtKFW6JecJ

 

rec.arts.tv.soaps
Y&R:Update for Monday, 9/19/94
Posted 9/20/94

 

 

Jill shocks her new lawyer:


Jill goes to see John Silva and requests that he represent her during her divorce from John Abbott. John is stunned. Jill is adamant nothing can save the marriage. Jill begs John to represent her. Her demands are simple, she knows she'll keep the 20% of Jabot stock (from her first divorce from John), so in addition she wants support for baby Billy and her job at Jabot. John cautions keeping the job might be difficult. John agrees to prepare the preliminary divorce papers.

 

 

Katherine wants the dirt on Jill:


Katherine stops by to talk to Mamie about Jill's affair with Jed. Mamie admits she thinks Jill has been unfaithful. Katherine warns Mamie they must share information to nail Jill and save John. Katherine says Jill and Jed are definitely in "heat". Katherine suggests they set at trap for Jill, for little Billy's sake. Mamie is reluctant to help and trust Katherine...

 

 

Keemo blasts Luan's memories:


Luan has fond memories of her "GI". Keemo doesn't share the same feelings about this "user of a man". Keemo rejects his natural father vehemently. Luan leaves in tears and Cricket reads Keemo the riot act for his insensitivity. Cricket tells Keemo he doesn't have the market cornered on pain. Cricket's words get to Keemo and he apologizes for his harshness...

 

 

Hope and Jack catch up:


Jack shares his engagement with Hope and she shares her pregnancy with him. They are happy for each other.

 

 

Neil and Nathan wonder what's up with Dru:


Nathan warns Neil that something is going on. They agree to work together to determine what's up. Meanwhile Dru is seeing Olivia demanding Olivia schedule a D&C. Olivia informs Dru she has it scheduled. Nathan stops by Neil's apartment with Little Nate and the men bond about fatherhood.  Neil coos to Little Nate that one day he wants a son just like him.  Dru watches this tender scene in emotional turmoil...

 

-----------
 

[The Sept 20th episode continues ... Dru is watching (from the doorway) Neil talking to Little Nate].

Edited by janea4old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling September 21, 1994 was the first episode of either Sharon Case or Michelle Stafford. Perhaps the week of June 29-July 3 is first episodes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kalbir said:

I have a feeling September 21, 1994 was the first episode of either Sharon Case or Michelle Stafford. Perhaps the week of June 29-July 3 is first episodes. 

Sharon Case Debuted September 7, 1994, and Michelle Stafford October 17, 1994.

I'd certainly hope they wouldn't start that late for Character first episodes! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@YRfan23 If there was going to be a theme of current cast member first episodes, we could fill almost two weeks with 1980s episodes alone :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sept 15, 1994 recap, for more context:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps/3CKoe50wNKE/A7rm3jEhyU4J

rec.arts.tv.soaps 
Update 9/15
(posted late on 9/27/94)

From the "better late than never" department, here's the Thursday, September 15th update for Y&R

 

Dru at the doctor's office
Dru is visiting a (new) doctor, seeking to end her pregnancy.  He asks her why she came to see him specifically, and she replies that she wants to see a doctor that she didn't know.  [seems that dr-patient confidentiality is a problem in Genoa City -- especially judging by Olivia's conduct as of late].  She is very upset and wants an abortion.

 

Jed's office

Jill and Jed are dancing cheek to cheek to elevator music (how convenient).  She says that dancing with Jed reassures her that she is making the right decision (to divorce John).  She needs a man who knows how to make a woman feel alive.  She thinks they're still married because of Billy.  She says it's ironic that when she told John about her pregnancy, John was so upset, and now he is really taken with the baby.  She's absolutely determined to divorce John, no matter what.

 

Coffee House
Matt comes over to see Nick and starts talking about how Victoria is one hot babe.  Nick looks puzzled.

 

Nina's place
Nina's on the couch.  It's been a few hours since she felt the pains.  She tries to reassure herself that nothing's wrong.  Phone rings.   It's Ryan, who forgot something in Phillip's bedroom (he's away on business).  He asks whether she could bring the file to his secretary at his office.  She says she will, and doesn't mention the pains.

 

Coffee House
Matt tells Nick about the centerfold -- everyone's talking about it.  Nick gets miffed, and threatens Matt.  Nick's speechless when Matt produces the magazine.  Nick takes off, but not before Matt rubs it in that he and Sharon are a hot item again.

 

Jill & Jed
Jill says she has to be careful, because she hasn't a hope of getting through the divorce unscathed if John finds out about her affair.  She hopes she can get John to file for the divorce.  Jed thinks this is just wishful thinking.

 

Coffee House
Some guy and Amy talk.  Amy just returned from a dental appointment.  She runs into Sharon.  Amy tells Sharon that she's having the most incredible summer, and that she gets along really well with Nick, and his mother, who couldn't have been nicer to her.  She thanks Sharon for inviting Nick and her to Sharon's Birthday Bash, because it'll be their first "together" party.  She leaves.  Sharon looks pissed off.  [comment from recapper: by the way, Sharon has recently had a french manicure -- guess the bills include personal grooming:  we have to have our priorities in order, don't we?].

 

Abbott Home
Jill gets home.  John greets her, and asks where she was.  He was anxious to see her.  He offers her a cocktail.  She's not in the mood, she says.  John offers to help Jill "unwind" but she cuts him off, asking where Billy is.  Seems Mamie took him to the park to give them some time together (sweet Mamie!).  Jill rejects more advances and is fuming about Mamie taking the baby out when she is expected home.  She's saved by Mamie and Billy's return (it started to rain and they had to come home early).  Jill berates her.  John takes the baby and plays/talks to him.  Jill looks like she feels a little guilty for the impending breakup.

 

Olivia's Office
Neil comes over wanting to know what Olivia's not telling him about Dru's condition.  When's the fatigue going to end?

 

Dru at Doctor's 

The doctor's policy is never to perform an abortion before finding out more about the case.  He assumes she's not married.  When Dru corrects him, he questions her motivations for not telling her husband.  She says that her husband must never know.


Ryan's Office
Nina brings the files to Linda (Ryan's secretary).  Nina stays behind to leave a note for Ryan to get when he returns.  While she's looking for some paper, she comes across the magazine with Vicky's pictures in his desk.  She looks at it.

 

Sharon's Place
"Girl"'s mom rolls out and complains that Sharon didn't put the iron where she could reach it, and she couldn't iron today.  Sharon rudely brushes her off, tells her she will do the ironing herself that evening (OK?), and BTW she's having a party at the apartment sometime soon  She says this will be a very important party for her.

 

Ranch
Nikki is needlepointing.  Doorbell rings (Miguel, I'll get it).  It's Amy.  It seems Nikki invited her over to help out.  Amy brought a pillow that she did.  Fancy work.

 

Tacky Room
Victoria is pretending to make iced tea.  Luckily Nick drops by.  He confronts her about the centerfold.  She's pretty down to earth about it.  She asks his opinion of the pictures.  "Helluva spread, Vic" 

 

Olivia's Office
Neil continues to pump Olivia for information. 

 

Other doctor's Office
Dru is really confused and upset.  She tells the doctor that she's unsure of the baby's paternity, asking whether there's a way to tell the exact moment of conception.  The doctor suggests a physical exam.

 

Tacky Room
Nick says Victor must've flipped.  She tells Nick about the buy-out of the issue, the acquisition of the company and firing Glenn and Alec.   They both agree that this is in keeping with their Dad.  Victoria says she can't understand his reaction, since their Mom was a stripper and THAT was ok.  Why not this?

 

The Collins'
Mom asks about the party and who's being invited.  Sharon tells her that Amy and Nick have been invited.  The mother sees through Sharon's plot to get Nick nearer.  Sharon denies anything underhanded.  Sharon comes across a letter in the mail that her mother is quite anxious she not read.  It's from the insurance company.

 

Ranch
Nikki and Amy are needlepointing.  Amy tells Nikki that she learned how to do it from her mom, and that she and her mom are very close.   Nikki remarks that Amy's lucky to be close to her mother, since not everyone has that sort of relationship.  They talk about Nick's return to school.  Nikki says that she insisted that he go back.  She then pumps Amy about Sharon.  The party comes up, and Nikki counsels Amy not to let Nick out of her sight at the party.

 

Tacky Room
Nick says he's more concerned about Cole's reaction to the centerfold.  He hopes Vicki and Cole can work this thing through.  They talk about Switzerland.  Vicki asks about Sharon.

 

Nina's House
She takes a long hard look at the centerfold.  "How could Vicky do this?"  "Why does Ryan have the magazine?"

 

Olivia's Office
Olivia says Dru's overstressed and tired.  She promises Neil she will keep a close eye on her sister.  Neil makes her promise to tell him is there's anything he should know.

 

Dru & doctor
The doctor tells Dru her pregnancy's early.  He can't confirm the exact date of conception.  She wants to abort asap.  He says that there's one more thing she should consider before making her final decision.  It's a miracle that she's pregnant at all, since she has chronic pelvic inflammatory disease.  This will probably be the only child she'll ever have, because there's a lot of scar tissue surrounding her reproductive system, probably due to undiagnosed recurring infection.  He urges her to reassess prior to aborting.  She asks whether it's some sort of miracle that she even conceived.  He says yes.  She asks herself whether it's a miracle or a nightmare.  She cries beautifully and the scene closes with her teary eyes.

 

The end.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janea4old said:

Sept 15, 1994 recap, for more context:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps/3CKoe50wNKE/A7rm3jEhyU4J

rec.arts.tv.soaps 
Update 9/15
(posted late on 9/27/94)

From the "better late than never" department, here's the Thursday, September 15th update for Y&R

 

Dru at the doctor's office
Dru is visiting a (new) doctor, seeking to end her pregnancy.  He asks her why she came to see him specifically, and she replies that she wants to see a doctor that she didn't know.  [seems that dr-patient confidentiality is a problem in Genoa City -- especially judging by Olivia's conduct as of late].  She is very upset and wants an abortion.

 

Jed's office

Jill and Jed are dancing cheek to cheek to elevator music (how convenient).  She says that dancing with Jed reassures her that she is making the right decision (to divorce John).  She needs a man who knows how to make a woman feel alive.  She thinks they're still married because of Billy.  She says it's ironic that when she told John about her pregnancy, John was so upset, and now he is really taken with the baby.  She's absolutely determined to divorce John, no matter what.

 

Coffee House
Matt comes over to see Nick and starts talking about how Victoria is one hot babe.  Nick looks puzzled.

 

Nina's place
Nina's on the couch.  It's been a few hours since she felt the pains.  She tries to reassure herself that nothing's wrong.  Phone rings.   It's Ryan, who forgot something in Phillip's bedroom (he's away on business).  He asks whether she could bring the file to his secretary at his office.  She says she will, and doesn't mention the pains.

 

Coffee House
Matt tells Nick about the centerfold -- everyone's talking about it.  Nick gets miffed, and threatens Matt.  Nick's speechless when Matt produces the magazine.  Nick takes off, but not before Matt rubs it in that he and Sharon are a hot item again.

 

Jill & Jed
Jill says she has to be careful, because she hasn't a hope of getting through the divorce unscathed if John finds out about her affair.  She hopes she can get John to file for the divorce.  Jed thinks this is just wishful thinking.

 

Coffee House
Some guy and Amy talk.  Amy just returned from a dental appointment.  She runs into Sharon.  Amy tells Sharon that she's having the most incredible summer, and that she gets along really well with Nick, and his mother, who couldn't have been nicer to her.  She thanks Sharon for inviting Nick and her to Sharon's Birthday Bash, because it'll be their first "together" party.  She leaves.  Sharon looks pissed off.  [comment from recapper: by the way, Sharon has recently had a french manicure -- guess the bills include personal grooming:  we have to have our priorities in order, don't we?].

 

Abbott Home
Jill gets home.  John greets her, and asks where she was.  He was anxious to see her.  He offers her a cocktail.  She's not in the mood, she says.  John offers to help Jill "unwind" but she cuts him off, asking where Billy is.  Seems Mamie took him to the park to give them some time together (sweet Mamie!).  Jill rejects more advances and is fuming about Mamie taking the baby out when she is expected home.  She's saved by Mamie and Billy's return (it started to rain and they had to come home early).  Jill berates her.  John takes the baby and plays/talks to him.  Jill looks like she feels a little guilty for the impending breakup.

 

Olivia's Office
Neil comes over wanting to know what Olivia's not telling him about Dru's condition.  When's the fatigue going to end?

 

Dru at Doctor's 

The doctor's policy is never to perform an abortion before finding out more about the case.  He assumes she's not married.  When Dru corrects him, he questions her motivations for not telling her husband.  She says that her husband must never know.


Ryan's Office
Nina brings the files to Linda (Ryan's secretary).  Nina stays behind to leave a note for Ryan to get when he returns.  While she's looking for some paper, she comes across the magazine with Vicky's pictures in his desk.  She looks at it.

 

Sharon's Place
"Girl"'s mom rolls out and complains that Sharon didn't put the iron where she could reach it, and she couldn't iron today.  Sharon rudely brushes her off, tells her she will do the ironing herself that evening (OK?), and BTW she's having a party at the apartment sometime soon  She says this will be a very important party for her.

 

Ranch
Nikki is needlepointing.  Doorbell rings (Miguel, I'll get it).  It's Amy.  It seems Nikki invited her over to help out.  Amy brought a pillow that she did.  Fancy work.

 

Tacky Room
Victoria is pretending to make iced tea.  Luckily Nick drops by.  He confronts her about the centerfold.  She's pretty down to earth about it.  She asks his opinion of the pictures.  "Helluva spread, Vic" 

 

Olivia's Office
Neil continues to pump Olivia for information. 

 

Other doctor's Office
Dru is really confused and upset.  She tells the doctor that she's unsure of the baby's paternity, asking whether there's a way to tell the exact moment of conception.  The doctor suggests a physical exam.

 

Tacky Room
Nick says Victor must've flipped.  She tells Nick about the buy-out of the issue, the acquisition of the company and firing Glenn and Alec.   They both agree that this is in keeping with their Dad.  Victoria says she can't understand his reaction, since their Mom was a stripper and THAT was ok.  Why not this?

 

The Collins'
Mom asks about the party and who's being invited.  Sharon tells her that Amy and Nick have been invited.  The mother sees through Sharon's plot to get Nick nearer.  Sharon denies anything underhanded.  Sharon comes across a letter in the mail that her mother is quite anxious she not read.  It's from the insurance company.

 

Ranch
Nikki and Amy are needlepointing.  Amy tells Nikki that she learned how to do it from her mom, and that she and her mom are very close.   Nikki remarks that Amy's lucky to be close to her mother, since not everyone has that sort of relationship.  They talk about Nick's return to school.  Nikki says that she insisted that he go back.  She then pumps Amy about Sharon.  The party comes up, and Nikki counsels Amy not to let Nick out of her sight at the party.

 

Tacky Room
Nick says he's more concerned about Cole's reaction to the centerfold.  He hopes Vicki and Cole can work this thing through.  They talk about Switzerland.  Vicki asks about Sharon.

 

Nina's House
She takes a long hard look at the centerfold.  "How could Vicky do this?"  "Why does Ryan have the magazine?"

 

Olivia's Office
Olivia says Dru's overstressed and tired.  She promises Neil she will keep a close eye on her sister.  Neil makes her promise to tell him is there's anything he should know.

 

Dru & doctor
The doctor tells Dru her pregnancy's early.  He can't confirm the exact date of conception.  She wants to abort asap.  He says that there's one more thing she should consider before making her final decision.  It's a miracle that she's pregnant at all, since she has chronic pelvic inflammatory disease.  This will probably be the only child she'll ever have, because there's a lot of scar tissue surrounding her reproductive system, probably due to undiagnosed recurring infection.  He urges her to reassess prior to aborting.  She asks whether it's some sort of miracle that she even conceived.  He says yes.  She asks herself whether it's a miracle or a nightmare.  She cries beautifully and the scene closes with her teary eyes.

 

The end.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow thanks! I think I never saw that one till now! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So comparing the spoilers to the recap of 9/19 posted by @janea4old and the summary of 9/20 posted by @YRfan23 pretty much all of the spoilers for the week already happened by 9/21:

John Silva warns Jill that John would not allow her to keep working at Jabots once she files for divorce.  Mary doesn't like the idea of Paul marrying Christine.   Later, he proposes to Christine. Victoria finally understands why Cole is upset with her (assuming this is about the centerfold).

 

This is the only thing that hasn't happened, and it doesn't sound very important (is Marilyn Mari Jo Mason?): Ashley asks for Paul's opinion about Marilyn's signature and the one on the painting she received as a wedding gift.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...