JAS0N47

DAYS: Bill Hayes' 50th Anniversary episode today

6 hours ago, te. said:

I like how they put more effort into describing that set in the script than we see on screen today :lol:

Bill Bell was headwriter then. 

@JASON47 Hope you don't mind if I add a few clips.

Doug and Julie meet, 1970.

Doug and Julie about to embark on their affair (when she was married to Scott Banning), 1970.

Doug and little Hope (Natasha Ryan), 1975.

Doug trying to win Julie after she divorced him when she was burned, 1979.

Doug playing the violin while Julie does a strip tease for the CT Scan Revue, 1979.

Thanks for adding the clips, Jam. Of course I don't mind. This is a thread to celebrate Bill's 50 years on Days!

8 hours ago, te. said:

I like how they put more effort into describing that set in the script than we see on screen today :lol:

"They" is the legendary Bill Bell, who wrote this episode. No breakdown writers, no dialogue writers, just Bill himself!

7 minutes ago, JAS0N47 said:

"They" is the legendary Bill Bell, who wrote this episode. No breakdown writers, no dialogue writers, just Bill himself!

I can appreciate how Bill Bell specifically wrote to the set designers to get an ashtray out of plastic instead of glass - something that few soap viewers would've noticed, especially with zero replay and very little interaction with other soap viewers. People who noticed those things back in the day would hardly get heard in Soap Opera Digest or similar magazines, so it's nice that he thought of them (or rather, us?)

It's a silly detail, but it works as a (subtle) love letter to nit-picky viewers.

Edited by te.

You also gotta love how, despite having almost 10x as many daily viewers at the time, DAYS "outdoor" sets in 1975 could amount to little more than a poorly-disguised curtain of trees and a baby picnic table, yet the story was far more compelling. A lesson could be learned by the writers of today watching this (but won't be).

I wonder who is in charge of selecting the flashback scenes?

Someone has a knowledge of the past... a pity Ron doesn't watch Bill Bell's eps and draw inspiration from that.

12 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

a pity Ron doesn't watch Bill Bell's eps and draw inspiration from that.

It's more than just drawing inspiration.  Ron Carlivati's skills as a writer are so deficient that I doubt he'd be able to write scenes as meaningful as Bill Bell's.  Even when he's written stuff that wasn't campy, it still felt lacking.

I read somewhere that Natasha Ryan (little Hope) was adopted in real life. When she didn't want to act anymore, she was kicked out of the house by her adoptive parents to fend for herself. She eventually got into construction and had a daughter to raise. 

50 years is amazing, especially when Bill wasn't an original cast member and DAYS has had so many periods of dumping or phasing out vets. Bill's one of a kind.