2020: The Directors and Writers Thread

1 minute ago, Faulkner said:

Was Daran Little U.S.-based when he was consulting on AMC and Y&R?

Yes, I believe he was in LA when he consulted for Y&R, and spent time in NYC when he consulted at AMC

From his Twitter, seems he's split between LA and London - he still writers scripts for EastEnders, so he's likely writing some of those from LA. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Thank you @Toups @BetterForgotten 

Yes, it's interesting that Daran Little writes 'Enders from LA. Another 'Enders writer, Peter Mattessi, lives in Melbourne. 

It doesn't seem like the US soaps are as open to it.

Edited by Adamski
  • 3 weeks later...

Susan Dansby said on Alan Locher's show that she's returning to Y&R. His hack-ass spoke over her, so I wasn't quite clear on what she fully said. She may have said it's a temp role, but I couldn't hear clearly. 

14 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Susan Dansby said on Alan Locher's show that she's returning to Y&R. His hack-ass spoke over her, so I wasn't quite clear on what she fully said. She may have said it's a temp role, but I couldn't hear clearly. 

Yeah she said it was temporary. But not sure if she said if she was doing breakdown writing or script writer. Someone that was viewing it said thank Gawd because they need a lot of help..lol

31 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

They should take a gamble and make her HW - she's done production work, directing, scripts and breakdowns. What else does this lame-ass show have to lose at this point? 

She was the first black writer YR ever hired. That's ridiculous!

I would've made her Hogans co hw instead of Pissant when Culliton left ATWT

9 hours ago, cassadine1991 said:

Amanda L. Beall is placed under Josh Griffith’s name in the credits on the August 10, 2020 episode, possibly making her a co-HW 

Interesting, guess they figured JG needed help. What has she done storyline wise?

28 minutes ago, Vee said:

Oh God, the chick from 2000s AMC should not be HWing this show.

Never watched.. what did she do? 😬

Posted (edited)

She's just another very generic latter-day AMC staff writer who was all about quips and pop culture references vs. any substance. CBS and Sony have been trying to turn Y&R into a mediocre-to-bad 2000s-era ABC soap for many years and have mostly succeeded at this point. The show has no identity or quality compared to the show in the classic episodes, just like what befell many ABC soaps in their later years. So it fits that they'd go out and hire more people consistent with that dead style. And I grew up with ABC soaps, I loved ABC soaps. When they were good. Which was not where Beall came up, and it's not what Y&R is emulating. They've been wanting to turn Y&R into a superficially ABC-shaped youth-demo widget for over a decade. The networks and shows are not and never were the same, and they shouldn't be.

Edited by Vee

Yeah, she does a low-budget version of Gilmore Girls-era Amy Sherman Palladino or Buffy-era Joss Whedon. Very womp-womp, unfunny, strained dialogue.

Griffith isn't any good for the show either. But they're not making a change for no reason, so no, neither is good news. The show is bad and it's staying bad.