2020: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this really counts, But I saw on twitter,  Jack Smith is gonna be a story consutant for a fanmade podcast soap.

• 2 weeks later...

Donny Sheldon out at GH. He was assistant to Valentini for 4 years then joined the writing team for 2 years as script writer/breakdown writer. I think his last script was April 7. He updated his linked in profile to reflect that he left ABC in Jan 2020. Dave Rupel is the replacement writer GH hired in Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that has become really clear to me as I re-view some of these classic episodes of various soaps: there is a world of difference in levels of autonomy between a headwriter who is also the creator of his and her own show and a headwriter who is the latest in a line of headwriters that came before him or her. 

Even with a headwriter who is particularly talented and excellent, he or she might have a bit more leeway but there are still definite limits and most will have a mandate when entering the writer's room.

52 minutes ago, lcrtorch said:

It's the only way I see how Brad Bell gets away with repeating the same storylines for all these years.

And he didn’t even create the show. I mean he’s been showrunner since 1993 (so that may practically amount to the same given the passage of time) but to be pedantic, Bill and Lee Philip Bell created Bold and the Beautiful. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of the US soaps have ever had a writer who wrote for them while based overseas?

On 3/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, Soapsuds said:

Ewwwww......why?

+1 

Haha how did I miss this? I thought I had seen his name credited a while back but I guess with Y&R being the pits I didn’t think much of it since I remember he spread the news of Sheffer’s passing last year. 

His best soap work was probably his MySpace blog he had. 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, Adamski said:

Does anyone know if any of the US soaps have ever had a writer who wrote for them while based overseas?

Anybody? 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:10 PM, Adamski said:

I think for a time, Jack Smith was writing B&B from Hawaii. I’m not totally sure though.