slick jones

January 2020 General Hospital Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, Darn said:

Does this align with the vibe of the show at all?

Now, when is THAT show hitting the airwaves?

On 1/21/2020 at 10:11 PM, alexisfan07 said:

For sure! The show always has a lot of potential in so many areas. It's always the question of, will they follow through? I hope they will!

Exactly!!! 

But I see those pre-emptions are killing the momentum. :(

10 hours ago, Darn said:

Does this align with the vibe of the show at all?

Honestly? No. Which is why I didn't post it in the spoiler thread when I saw it. LOL!!! 

However, there is some new promo that I can't wait to be posted that might be more in line. ;)

Luckily, I turned it on live and was able to see today's episode as the preemptions have totally screwed up my DVR's ability to know what episode is on and if it's new.

I’ve never seen worse gangsters and police officers in my life. About 7000 shots were fired, and all but a couple missed — even though these idiots were only a few feet away from each other. What a joke.

10 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

I’ve never seen worse gangsters and police officers in my life. About 7000 shots were fired, and all but a couple missed — even though these idiots were only a few feet away from each other. What a joke.

Go back in time and watch some of those Guza ones.  Better filmed and acting, but equally ridiculous.

The mob stuff has never been top quality but the Guza & Labine eras definately handled it better. Sonny as the "most powerful crime lord on the eastern seabord" was always a joke to me. He always got frequently spoken down to and disrespected by people like Monica, Rick, Scott, Jax etc... And if Sonny was as powerful as the show makes him out to be, Nelle and Shiloh would have been smoked a loooong time ago. Frank Smith definitely had more of an intimidating presence than Sonny, even early Sonny was more intimidating than his current self.

Edited by ironlion

8 hours ago, Khan said:

Aside from Gloria Monty, has any EP at GH ever known how to handle these kinds of sequences properly?

Riche did, in the beginning.  The Spencer house/Sonny’s apartment one was pretty good.  Puerto Rico had lots of excitement with the mob.  I also think clink/boom was a masterpiece (even though little of the violence is shown, it resonated deeply because of what we did see, use of slow motion etc).  The shooting at Luke’s that got Nikolas was good too.

But I credit Labine as the best with mafia stories on GH.  The mob violence had consequences.  Because of Frank Smith and later Sonny’s grab for power-

Lucky was shot

Pregnant Laura was pushed down the stairs.

Sean Donnelly was shot.

Luke was shot (Puerto Rico)

Brenda was almost shot in the shower/Stone was grazed (or shot in the leg, I can’t remember).

Luke and Laura’s house was shot up and she had to kill an intruder while her baby was upstairs.

Those were stakes, and it felt more dangerous.  When we got to Jason dodging bullets constantly...although Kristina (the first one) was killed as well.

But if we are talking who was the best at capturing action?  Monty wins.  Her action scenes were almost always stellar.

2 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Luke and Laura’s house was shot up and she had to kill an intruder while her baby was upstairs.

In case this is a spoiler to anyone out there:

And that is why -- oh, hell, I hope this isn't a spoiler -- I found it ridiculous that Laura would get injured in this latest shootout.  Girl, when it comes to mob violence, you are "been there, done that, saved the world from the Ice Princess."  Why the [!@#$%^&*] are you moving around like you're in a turkey shoot!?  STAY. YO' ASS. DOWN.

2 hours ago, titan1978 said:

But if we are talking who was the best at capturing action?  Monty wins.  Her action scenes were almost always stellar.

I look at scenes from that period and I am just amazed at how Gloria Monty did so much with editing.  Characters didn't really need to move all that much, because the editing alone gave the scenes all the energy it needed.

Edited by Khan