Taoboi

Y&R December 2019 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

Hey - at the end of the day, it probably doesn’t matter who they install as HW, so perhaps Sally would be as good of a choice as any. The constant turnover and jarring reboots have been just as damaging as anything, and it sounds like the BTS has been incredibly chaotic.

Good point!

21 hours ago, Chris B said:

The odd thing is that one of the biggest worries with new characters is how to connect them. Nate and Chance are both children of popular characters. The lack of mention and playing up those relationships is baffling. 

What really screams 'life support' right now is the lack of that next generation. When I was growing up, you knew that Nick, Victoria, Sharon, Billy would be the ones to drive a new set of storylines, relationships for years to come. 

They've hit a bit of a dead end here in a sense that they've introduced so many newbies, the true next generation of this show is lost. Summer and Abby are pretty aimless. Kyle has potential thanks to a decent actor, but he seems saddled at the moment. Where is Noah? Scotty? Reed? We never see Mariah. Devon is on his own island, and he rarely communicates with people his age. I thought they missed the boat with not bringing back Mac, Brit and Raul. 

It's a good thing they didn't SORAS Faith.

You wouldn't ever know that Nate and Chance are the children of legacy characters, since they never bring up their parents or their respective upbringings. Chloe and Chance had a serious relationship at one point. Unless I missed it, they haven't really brought it up. What about Ronan?

It's tough for me to care about Chelsea.

Everything is so... 🤷‍♀️

You could have Melissa Ordway (or Hunter King) playing both Summer and Abby and no one would notice (or care).  That's how aimless (and disposable) those two characters in particular have become.

Edited by Khan

3 minutes ago, Khan said:

You could have Melissa Ordway (or Hunter King) playing both Summer and Abby and no one would notice (or care).  That's how aimless (and disposable) those two characters in particular have become.

How are the younger generations on other soaps? Are they aimless like on YR?

Last I checked the only soap that really had a “younger generation” was GH, but even they felt a bit tacked-on. It’s hard to invest in a bunch of new young characters when these shows don’t even know if they’ll be on in five years. Plus, there’s no hope of getting young viewers anymore. Everything feels desperate and about basic survival.

Edit: I suppose if we counting older twentysomethings, DAYS counts.

19 minutes ago, Khan said:

Isn't that the truth.

The daughter of Ashley Abbott and Victor Newman.

Sad.

I wanted to post that the show isn't that bad, but then realized I couldn't come up with a storyline that I'm the least bit interested in.

11 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

It’s hard to invest in a bunch of new young characters when these shows don’t even know if they’ll be on in five years. Plus, there’s no hope of getting young viewers anymore. Everything feels desperate and about basic survival.

IA.  I feel the networks have accepted that these are the genre's final days and they're just stalling for as much time as possible until they can think of something to replace 'em on their schedules.  Otherwise, the alternative at this point is to cancel the remaining four and cede that airtime to the affiliates, which means losing revenue, as pitiful as it is.

6 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Hey - at the end of the day, it probably doesn’t matter who they install as HW, so perhaps Sally would be as good of a choice as any. The constant turnover and jarring reboots have been just as damaging as anything, and it sounds like the BTS has been incredibly chaotic. It might not be a job Sally wants again after what she endured the first time—who knows?

What BTS stories show this incredible chaos?