YRfan23

Y&R/GH Alum William Wintersole Passes at 88

5eX4Z2U.jpg?1

WILLIAM WINTERSOLE

FOR BETTER OR WORSE      Unknown Role    1959 or 1960

PEYTON PLACE         Mr. Sanford     1965

Mr. West      1966

GENERAL HOSPITAL    Detective Fred Martin     1973

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS    Mitchell Sherman, Esquire    1980-96; 1998; 2003; 2008-09; 2011

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF EDDIE ROBERTS (L.A.T.E.R.)  Senator Lombocker       1980

GENERAL HOSPITAL     Agent Ted Ballantyne     1981-85  occasional 

also

THE WALTONS     Dr. Wolfe     1973

SARA                     George Bailey     1976

LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE     Tom Henderson     1976

movie....

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS      Tony's doctor    1967

Rest in Peace.  Say hello to Jeanne for us!

Aw. Mitchell was one of those steady, safe supporting figures who helped make soaps what they used to be. 

3 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Aw. Mitchell was one of those steady, safe supporting figures who helped make soaps what they used to be. 

Yep! 😕  whether he was helping Katherine and Jill protect Phillip's fortune from Nina,  making sure Victor got his hands on jabot, or preventing Jill from getting another penny from John Abbott....they don't make characters like him anymore...

I always thought that characters like Mitchell Sherman were a part of what made Y&R a cut above: the supporting character whose presence added realism to any storyline. 

1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

Very true. MWilliam Wintersole was connected to some of Y&R's finest stories and he fit the part as the upstanding lawyer perfectly.

For years, I'd been wondering what happened to "Mitchell Sherman".  Although Y&R had his 'son' make appearances, there seemed to be few to no mentions of the father.

Classic Y&R made you care about peripheral characters like Mitchell Sherman, John Silva, Miguel, Mamie, etc.   R.I.P. Mr. Wintersole.

Does anyone think that Y&R will care enough to acknowledge this passing onscreen?

6 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

For years, I'd been wondering what happened to "Mitchell Sherman".  Although Y&R had his 'son' make appearances, there seemed to be few to no mentions of the father.

Classic Y&R made you care about peripheral characters like Mitchell Sherman, John Silva, Miguel, Mamie, etc.   R.I.P. Mr. Wintersole.

Does anyone think that Y&R will care enough to acknowledge this passing onscreen?

Nope.

Beau Kayzer, Carolyn Conwell, Michael Evans, Chris Templeton etc

Edited by Paul Raven

2 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Nope.

Beau Kayzer, Carolyn Conwell, Michael Evans, Chris Templeton etc

Not that I’m excusing the show for not acknowledging those deaths but to be fair it’s been a good while that we’ve seen or even heard mention of Mitchell onscreen, except his son David...who’s now dead too apparently (not IRL on the show)

he will at least be included in next years Emmy memorial.

Edited by YRfan23

On 11/7/2019 at 1:08 AM, DaytimeFan said:

I always thought that characters like Mitchell Sherman were a part of what made Y&R a cut above: the supporting character whose presence added realism to any storyline. 

Agreed. Mitchell, Miguel, Mamie, Mary.... I sure do miss them all 😞

4 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

I saw he is listed on Y&R starting in 1980, but I though Mitchell started appearing on the show in the 1970's. 

Actor Fred Beir originated the role. Wintersole took over in 1980 (from the research I've done. WW may have started earlier.

15 hours ago, slick jones said:

Actor Fred Beir originated the role. Wintersole took over in 1980 (from the research I've done. WW may have started earlier.

I saw that Beir died in 1980 of cancer. He also appeared on Days circa 1978 as the guy who raped Julie. He was on Dallas in 1979 for 3 episodes. His character was set up by J.R. and a prostitute played by Veronica Hamel. They got a photo of him in bed with Pam while she was separated from Bobby to make it look like a sex scandal. Everyone in the family knew it was a scheme of J.R.'s and it pissed him off when she came back home to Southfork with Bobby. 

The "other" Mitchell Sherman", Fred Beir

LdqZXlu.png

FRED BEIR

MODERN ROMANCES              Unknown Role     week of 4/2/1956

Unknown Role      "Mrs. Rocky King"     week of 5/13/1957

Unknown Role          week of 8/18/58

ABC AFTERNOON PLAYBREAK   "Miss Kline We Love You" Alex Markham   2/27/1974

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS     Mitchell Sherman    1975-80 (occasional)

ANOTHER WORLD           Keith Morrison     1976

DAYS OF OUR LIVES           Larry Atwood         1977-78

DALLAS                               Ben Maxwell           1979