Sign in to follow this  
Franko

The Preemption/Out of Pattern Thread

Detroit, mid-February 1971:

WJBK (CBS) aired LOL at 11:30, followed by local news and The Movie Game at 12. SFT aired at 1, followed by ATWT. Love is a Many Splendored Thing wasn't airing in Detroit, so Where the Heart Is and the newsbrief aired at 2 rather than 12 (hope there wasn't anything essential/breaking being reported). TGL, Secret Storm and EON aired in pattern from 2:30-4.

WWJ (NBC) aired Somerset at 1 p.m., between local news (preempting The Who, What or Where Game) and Joe Garagiola's Memory Game. The 4 p.m. hour went to The Wild Wild West reruns.

WXYZ (ABC) aired everything in pattern.

How affiliates in lower Michigan (six total stations) aired CBS's fall of '76 daytime lineup:

10 a.m.: The Price Is Right (aired on most stations, except in Saginaw, which aired the conclusion of The Mike Douglas Show and the start of The 700 Club)

11 a.m.: Gambit (didn't air in Detroit, which ran Tattletales on a delay, and Saginaw, which aired The 700 Club)

11:30 a.m.: Love of Life (aired at this time on most stations, except in Detroit, which aired Y&R)

12 p.m.: The Young and the Restless (Detroit and Lansing aired news instead)

12:30 p.m.: Search for Tomorrow (aired at this time statewide)

1 p.m.: Open-half hour (Detroit aired Love of Life, Lansing aired The Young and the Restless)

1:30 p.m.: As the World Turns (aired at this time statewide)

2:30 p.m.: The Guiding Light (aired at this time statewide)

3 p.m.: All in the Family reruns (aired at this time statewide)

3:30 p.m.: Match Game '76 (aired at this time statewide)

4 p.m.: Tattletales (did not air at this time in Detroit, which aired The Mike Douglas Show; aired at 9:30 a.m. in Lansing, which ran children's programming at 4; did not air in Saginaw, which ran cartoons at 4)

Edited by Franko

NBC's fall '76 lineup with lower Michigan's five stations:

10 a.m.: Sanford and Son reruns (aired statewide)

10:30 a.m.: Celebrity Sweepstakes (aired statewide)

11 a.m.: Wheel of Fortune (aired statewide)

11:30 a.m.: The Hollywood Squares (aired statewide)

12 p.m.: The Fun Factory (Cheboygan/Traverse City aired Lassie reruns; Detroit aired To Tell the Truth; Bay City and Grand Rapids aired news)

12:30 p.m.: The Gong Show (Detroit, which aired The Gong Show at 9:30 a.m., ran news in this slot; Grand Rapids aired The Mike Douglas Show)

1 p.m.: Open half-hour (Cheboygan/Traverse City and Bay City aired The Fun Factory; Detroit and Jackson aired Somerset)

1:30 p.m.: Days of Our Lives (aired statewide)

2:30 p.m.: The Doctors (aired statewide)

3 p.m.: Another World (aired statewide)

4 p.m.: Somerset (Cheyboygan/Traverse City and Grand Rapids aired cartoons; Detroit aired Dinah!; Bay City aired Dark Shadows reruns; Jackson aired children's programming)

Edited by Franko

ABC's fall '76 lineup with lower Michigan affiliates (five stations)

11:30 a.m.: Happy Days reruns (did not air in Traverse City, which aired The 700 Club)

12 p.m.: Hot Seat (aired at 10:30 a.m. in Flint and Grand Rapids, which both aired news at 12)

12:30 p.m.: All My Children (aired statewide)

1 p.m.: Ryan's Hope (aired statewide)

1:30 p.m.: Family Feud (aired statewide)

2 p.m.: The $20,000 Pyramid (aired statewide)

2:30 p.m.: One Life to Live (aired statewide)

3:15 p.m.: General Hospital (aired statewide)

4 p.m.: The Edge of Night (aired at 11 a.m. in Detroit, which aired a movie at 4; also aired at 11 a.m. in Flint, which aired The Wild, Wild West reruns at 4; aired at 11 a.m. in Grand Rapids, which aired The Flintstones; aired at 11 a.m. in Battle Creek, which aired Speed Racer)

Western Washington area, August 1981:

KOMO, the ABC station in Seattle, aired EDGE at 9:30 a.m. The station ran The Brady Bunch at 3. EDGE could also be seen at 3 p.m. on CBUT, the CBC station in Vancouver. Family Feud and ABC's four other soaps aired at the same time (11:00 a.m.-3 p.m.) on KOMO and CKVU, an independent station in Vancouver.

KING, the NBC station, aired Seattle Today rather than Las Vegas Gambit, Blockbusters and Wheel of Fortune (which all aired 9-10:30 a.m. on KCPQ, an independent station in Tacoma). Password Plus, Card Sharks and the four soaps all ran in pattern (10:30 a.m.-3 p.m.) on KING, with AW also airing at 1 on CHEK and CHAN, the CTV stations in Victoria and Vancouver. TEXAS didn't air at 2 p.m. in Victoria, passed up for The Alan Thicke Show.

KIRO, the CBS station in Seattle, aired TPIR at 10 and Y&R at 11 a.m., followed by news and the rest of the soaps. KVOS, the CBS station in Bellingham, aired Y&R at 10 a.m., followed by Dick Van Dyke reruns, SFT at 11:30, Donahue at 12, John Davidson at 1 and the Alice/Jeffersons rerun block at 2.

1 hour ago, Franko said:

KIRO, the CBS station in Seattle, aired TPIR at 10 and Y&R at 11 a.m., followed by news and the rest of the soaps. KVOS, the CBS station in Bellingham, aired Y&R at 10 a.m., followed by Dick Van Dyke reruns, SFT at 11:30, Donahue at 12, John Davidson at 1 and the Alice/Jeffersons rerun block at 2.

So it looks like CBS Seattle aired Search for Tomorrow. I wonder if CBS Seattle aired Capitol or if their noon news became one hour after CBS ended Search for Tomorrow. I know B&B didn't air in Seattle until 1994 so it's possible their CBS station had a 1 hour noon news from 1982-1994.

Interesting that your Western Washington listings also included nearby Canadian cities and their network affiliates. No Y&R on the Vancouver stations back then. I know Another World was huge in Canada for a long time (the cancellation was even covered on CTV's national news) but I'm guessing Y&R overtook it in popularity sometime in the 1990s. I'm curious to know if viewers in Buffalo/Niagara Falls could pick up Global Toronto and watch the day-ahead Y&R.

31 minutes ago, kalbir said:

I know B&B didn't air in Seattle until 1994 so it's possible their CBS station had a 1 hour noon news from 1982-1994.

I could see that happening. I'll see if I can't find anything from that time frame.

WTVF cut Talk of the Town to 30 minutes and moved it to 11 AM.  That allowed B&B to air in pattern at 12:30, and ATWT in pattern at 1 (Y&R already aired at 11:30; GL at 2).  Their lineup, up to news time at 4, is now:

9 AM Kelly Clarkson

10 AM TPIR

11 AM Talk of the Town

11:30  Y&R

12:30  B&B

1 PM The Talk

2 PM Let's Make A Deal

3 PM Ellen

WXYZ aired all ABC soaps in pattern when it was an o&o except for Edge of Night; it aired in Detroit at 10:30 AM and a movie aired at 4.

In the Raleigh/Durham area we still get Y&R at 4, only on WNCN since it became the CBS affiliate in 2016.  GH airs here at 3, because WTVD is an ABC o&o and that is when its sister stations also air it (3 ET/2 CT&PT).  Days is on WRAL at 1; B&B on WNCN at 1:30.

When ABC had Ryan's Hope at 12 and Loving at 12:30, WSB Atlanta continued to carry RH at 12:30, after the noon news. Loving ended up on WUPA Channel 69 at noon.  WSB picked up Loving after RH was canceled in 1989.  WSB also carried Edge of Night at either 9:30 or 10 AM from 1980 (when the station switched to ABC) to Edge's cancellation in 1984.