Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, xtr said:

I can understand why people didn't Lani begging on her knees to Gabi. That didn't look right, regardless of the history between them.  Not to mention, why is Lani begging Gabi to give Stefan's heart to Julie.  Lani cares for Julie but she doesn't love her more than Hope, Jennifer, Doug or any other  family member/ person who is closer to Julie and has known her longer. It would make more sense if Lani had that type of desperation to save her own mother, Abe, Eli or maybe Val. It shouldn't have been on Lani to be the one to try and beg for Julie to get Stefan's heart. 

 

It looks like they are really upping the ante in the rivarly between Gabi/Eli. But they could have found a more appropriate/less offensive and soapier way to do that. Gabi could demanded that Lani give something up in return for Julie's heart instead of making her literally beg on her knees. 

 

Exactly. I don't like the begging. But if they were going to force Lani to do this, at least let it be for someone that she's closer to like Abe, Eli (if his life were hanging in the balance) or even Val. 

 

Some white writers (especially white male writers) really stink when it comes to writing black characters. (Josh Griffin and how he wrote Ana Hamilton on Y&R is another example of this IMO). They should be embarrassed by the way that they portray black characters.

 

The writing for black characters has been the biggest stain on soaps since forever. Most have been written to just be their job basically. Either cops, or a doctor, or the poor kid. 

 

There is a reason Y&R was able to build such a large black audience. They did it right for awhile before they fumbled it all away. 

 

Other than AMC in the 80's and sometimes 90s and Y&R in the 90's there been very few examples of the black characters getting to be real fleshed out characters. ATWT had some good periods with Jessica. OLTL had some moments too. RJ was allowed to be a smart villain sometimes. I also loved when Lexie went bad at Days and was the star of the show for like 3 years. 

 

Outside of that, it really is embarrassing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Days22 said:

 

The writing for black characters has been the biggest stain on soaps since forever. Most have been written to just be their job basically. Either cops, or a doctor, or the poor kid. 

 

There is a reason Y&R was able to build such a large black audience. They did it right for awhile before they fumbled it all away. 

 

Other than AMC in the 80's and sometimes 90s and Y&R in the 90's there been very few examples of the black characters getting to be real fleshed out characters. ATWT had some good periods with Jessica. OLTL had some moments too. RJ was allowed to be a smart villain sometimes. I also loved when Lexie went bad at Days and was the star of the show for like 3 years. 

 

Outside of that, it really is embarrassing. 

 

I enjoyed the way that the Frye family was written in the 90s on AMC. I loved the way that Livia was written and her relationships with Derek, Terrence, Mimi, Tom and Jamal. And the way that the Barber/Winters families were written in the 90s on Y&R. But nowadays the writing for black characters is either bad or just about non existent. Lani is begging on her knees, and isn't really fleshed out as a character, Ana was given very colorist writing on Y&R. And most of the other black characters on soaps, aren't really written much for. Or given good writing and story lines. It's a shame.

Edited by xtr
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Days22 said:

 

The writing for black characters has been the biggest stain on soaps since forever. Most have been written to just be their job basically. Either cops, or a doctor, or the poor kid. 

 

There is a reason Y&R was able to build such a large black audience. They did it right for awhile before they fumbled it all away. 

 

Other than AMC in the 80's and sometimes 90s and Y&R in the 90's there been very few examples of the black characters getting to be real fleshed out characters. ATWT had some good periods with Jessica. OLTL had some moments too. RJ was allowed to be a smart villain sometimes. I also loved when Lexie went bad at Days and was the star of the show for like 3 years. 

 

Outside of that, it really is embarrassing. 

 

I really didn't like the begging. On AMC back in the day I loved Livia, Tom, Mimi, Terence, etc. And, then, of course what was not to love about Angie & Jesse. I'm very fond of Tamora Tunie, whether on daytime or primetime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Donna B said:

 

I really didn't like the begging. On AMC back in the day I loved Livia, Tom, Mimi, Terence, etc. And, then, of course what was not to love about Angie & Jesse. I'm very fond of Tamora Tunie, whether on daytime or primetime.

I really wish Lani was as strong and well defined as Gabi. This ''epic rivalry'' feels so one sided. I wonder if Lani will grow as a character during the Time Jump? The rumor is Lani will go bonkers. I miss how well AMC & OLTL handled AA and Hispanic characters.  ATWT also did a great job with Jessica and Tonio. Lani has never been fleshed out. Pitting Lani & Gabi could've been good with a way better HW. Gabi can easily wipe the floor with someone as meh as Lani. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

I really wish Lani was as strong and well defined as Gabi. This ''epic rivalry'' feels so one sided. I wonder if Lani will grow as a character during the Time Jump? The rumor is Lani will go bonkers. I miss how well AMC & OLTL handled AA and Hispanic character.  ATWT also did a great job with Jessica and Tonio. Lani has never been fleshed out. Pitting Lani & Gabi could've been good with a way better HW. Gabi can easily wipe the floor with someone as meh as Lani. 

Please register in order to view this content

 

The thing is this: Lani deserves better! Day in & day out, she just flat out deserves better. The HW should fix that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just find it ridiculous that Gabi is behaving this way over a [!@#$%^&*] DiMera.  But Lani literally begging on her knees for Stefan's heart?  That's enough to make someone dial up the NAACP!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron cant even write for GLBT characters properly and he is part of that community. So his inability to write for Persons of Color does not surprise one bit

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, John said:

Ron cant even write for GLBT characters properly and he is part of that community. So his inability to write for Persons of Color does not surprise one bit

 

Wait a minute here. Ron's gay? Oy! What in the heck is he doing with his scenes littered with inept young gay ones?!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you imagine the blowback Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu would face if they ran a series with those Gabi and Lani scenes? There’d be major media coverage the next day.

 

Horrible optics and tone deaf writing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Donna B said:

 

Wait a minute here. Ron's gay? Oy! What in the heck is he doing with his scenes littered with inept young gay ones?!!!

 

Ron doesn't care as long as they're shirtless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, te. said:

 

Ron doesn't care as long as they're shirtless.

 

Aye, that's the rub, right there! I'm into women so I don't even notice if he's got them stripped of their shirts. I'm just expecting them to act and flirt and romance. Oh, boy, am I off track! LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, te. said:

 

Ron doesn't care as long as they're shirtless.

 

The gay boys aren’t shirtless very often. I don’t know what show you’re watching.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy