Until the spa storyline, I really enjoyed his work on ATWT.  There were other pockets I liked beyond that, but I truly enjoyed his early period on the show.

I really respected his comments when he got hired, about re-reading Marland’s bibles and just how good the storytelling had been.

When it all started, I loved Rose, Katie, Simon, and most of what he did.  Couldn’t stand Katie by the time I stopped watching, but I loved her in the beginning.

Did he write Luke coming out and the teen serial killer, or was that all Passanate?

He had a horrible tendency to kill legacy characters off.  But all the shows did by that point too.

His original plans for DAYS were very promising. I also enjoyed his beginnings on Y&R. And whatever good or bad he did to ATWT, he definitely gave the show a jolt of energy and a watercooler buzz.

I can't help but think of his brother who I enjoyed on One Tree Hill. Rest in Peace.

10 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

Until the spa storyline, I really enjoyed his work on ATWT.  There were other pockets I liked beyond that, but I truly enjoyed his early period on the show.

I really respected his comments when he got hired, about re-reading Marland’s bibles and just how good the storytelling had been.

When it all started, I loved Rose, Katie, Simon, and most of what he did.  Couldn’t stand Katie by the time I stopped watching, but I loved her in the beginning.

Did he write Luke coming out and the teen serial killer, or was that all Passanate?

He had a horrible tendency to kill legacy characters off.  But all the shows did by that point too.

Pissant was the one responsible for serial killer storyline and I believe she finished the Luke coming out story that Hogan had started.

Very sad. He had been ill in recent years, I remember.

This is from 2014:

NEW from Sara Bibel:

Edited by Faulkner

Somewhere Hogan is making jokes about his weight just like he did in the video below. He had one great year at ATWT and truly deserved the Emmy but after that he ran out of ideas and the show started to implode again.

Edited by Soapsuds

I’ll remember him for his sense of humor. He would say the things in the soap press that you’re not really allowed to say, but he was always funny and hit on a kernel of truth when doing it. 

10 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Somewhere Hogan is making jokes about his weight just like he did in the video below. He had one great year at ATWT and truly deserved the Emmy but after that he ran out of ideas and the show started to implode again.

He (and Carolyn Culliton) really did make silk purses out of sow’s ears for hackneyed stories IMO: they built on the dreaded doppelgänger story (Lily/Rose) that most soaps used as a dumb joke and even Andy’s faked paralysis became rooted in emotional depth for a hot minute. He (and Cady McClain) *did* reinvigorate Rosanna for a bit. But things became so disappointing so quickly, coasting on those early accolades and the decaying soap landscape that surrounded it. Eventually the writing was so corrosive that I stopped watching, but I was actually excited when he was hired for DAYS. Then there was Willow...

Edited by Faulkner

8 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

He (and Carolyn Culliton) really did make silk purses out of sow’s ears for hackneyed stories IMO: they built on the dreaded doppelgänger story (Lily/Rose) that most soaps used as a dumb joke and even Andy’s faked paralysis became rooted in emotional depth for a hot minute. He (and Cady McClain) *did* reinvigorate Rosanna for a bit. But things became so disappointing so quickly, coasting on those early accolades and the decaying soap landscape that surrounded it. Eventually the writing was so corrosive that I stopped watching, but I was actually excited when he was hired for DAYS. Then there was Willow...

He and Carolyn got ATWT back to #3 in the ratings during his first year. IMO ATWT was the best soap that year..even better than Y&R and it was must see tv.

Edited by Soapsuds