Saved By the Bell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I binged them all yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I like how they use the new kids from Douglas as the 'outsiders' to the world of Saved by the Bell in Bayside with the rich kids and it just works so well. 

You could tell it was made with love and care for the original. It found a way to make it bizarre, yet charming, timely, yet funny. Sharp dialogue. Witty nods to the past. I thought they did a great job.

I loved Zack mentioning Tori. Kelly: "Who?"

I thought Zack sometimes bordered on caricature/parody but it worked and we saw glimpses of Zack. Kelly seems a little lost but not a huge amount of time is spent on them. I liked Jessie, Slater, Zack and Kelly realized you can't necessarily go back again, lol, but they still found their spark again. It was a little odd having the Principal so shoved into the past but it was fun seeing the clips and was likely going for a deeper meaning. 

Lark Voorhies looked fabulous! It was so nice she made a cameo as Lisa. I didn't love it was wasted on shoehorning in the principal, but whatever. 

John Michael Higgins, I love him. But the whole shoehorning him into past clips as some deeper meaning or whatever was kinda bizarre. Was I alone in feeling that? But overall love him. Great moments and I like how he stood up to Marley from New Adventures of Old Christine and formed bonds with the kids. He fills the Screech/Belding spot nicely. 

They sure name dropped Screech a lot. Screech and Kevin are happily living away from Earth on the space station. Could you blame them? LOL.

I like the growth of Slater. It's nice seeing Mario Lopez be likable again. Just saying.

Jessie works perfectly as the guidance counselor and Berkley is doing a great job. I about died when Jessie grabbed the caffeine pills from Daisy and was using the fire extinguisher. They embrace the bizarre of original SBTB and it works. 

The new kids are really good finds, IMO.

Daisy is Jessie 2.0. I love how Mac calls her buddy instantly. I like how they bring out different sides to each other. Mac is actually doing Zack Morris BETTER, IMHO. 

Lexi is greatly complex yet also ridiculous and at the same time you root for her. Trans representation ya'll. On SBTB. I love seeing it. I like that she's the female Zack/Mac. Not sure I'm all in on Lexi/Jamie but I like the complicated feelings and they have some nice chemistry. 

Jamie is simple and naive, yet not, at the same time. I wish we saw him a bit more with Jessie, however. He just felt a bit isolated from her considering Jessie is the school guidance counselor and bonding with his friends. I did like the scene of her unable to tell Jamie he sucks at football. LOL. 

Aisha being a female quarterback was a great idea. I love the gender bending. I kind of feel like they could do a bit better with her though. She has her moments but spends a lot of time with Jamie and Daisy. 

DeVante and his grandma

Please register in order to view this content

and his friends. That's all. Love him. Love them. I loved the 'twist' of him not being a football player and instead going out for the school musical. It's really nice they aren't stereotyping. It's so refreshing, actually.

I think they did a great job naturally pushing them all together as friends.

None of them are caricatures and they actually have human sides. It's nice. This could have gone really wrong. I also appreciate the topics they tackle, in the SBTB way of course.

I'll do some more indepth episodes thoughts. Just a general summarization of my thoughts.

EDIT: And kudos to them bringing back Ed Alonzo as Max.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I'm watching the first few episodes, and it's enjoyable. Like KMan said, they're embracing the stiltedness that was just a normal part of the original series while also forming its own tone.

The new set of kids are giving me strong, strong, strooooong Degrassi vibes, and I love it. This is low-key what Degrassi: Next Class could have been had it not tried to be sooo many things at once.

Okay, the thing about Bayside being a rich kids' school. I don't remember that being a thing in the original series, which is whatever, but I just have to wonder. Between Beverly Hills 90210, this SBTB sequel, and All American - do rich people in California really send their kids to public school? I'm not nitpicking at all, just curious.

I loved all of the cute old school things that, for whatever reason, still exist in the rich kids' school in 2020. The handwritten sign-ups for tryouts on the overstuffed bulletin board lol And of course, the class president who gets to execute massive school policy changes like where the bus drops students off.

The only thing I want to complain about it is that awful remix of the theme song. Yikes.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • dragonflies changed the title to "Saved By the Bell" reboot Peacock TV
  • 2 weeks later...