Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AdamNewmanFan

What recast of any character has been your favorite?

Recommended Posts

John H. Martin as Dr. Bill Horton. Though briefly, he did well as Tom and Alice’s youngest son. He had good chemistry with the cast. If they ever decide to bring back Bill, John should be the one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, victorlord75 said:

My vote would go to Genie Francis as Laura.  I have no memory whatsoever of the first actress who played Laura when she still lived with the Vining family.

 

This is my all-time favorite recast as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only including recasts of character that were being played by an actor who popularized a role ... So for example, I can't add Genie Francis as GH's Laura or Cady McClain as AMC's Dixie, because their predecessors didn't exactly make an impact or impression. On the other hand, Sherry Stringfield as GL's Blake , I see differently - since Elizabeth Dennehy was clearly front-burner, and was arguably really good in the role - same for Judi Evans replacing Cali Timmins as AW's Paulina.

 

Karen Witter is for me the most impressive recast as OLTL's Tina. I just couldn't imagine anyone else succeeding Andrea Evans - I don't think any viewer at the time thought that was possible. Then she just showed up one day and did it. It was as if she and Evans rode on the same wave of energy and spirit. She generally resembled Evans, had a similar way of speaking and moving, and instantly connected with every single co-star on screen.

 

You didn't need anyone to tell you that she was Tina; it was 100% clear from the second she showed up. She eventually added some traits to the role: growth, signs of selflessness, more compassion, independence - not everyone was a fan of those changes, but Tina could retain childlike petulance for only so long. (The downside is that then-HW Michael Malone never truly got Tina, and would ultimately derail her on-screen under mis-recast Krista Tesreau, and then off-screen in his second run as head writer - reducing her to a deadbeat mom.)

 

Other actors who wowed me in roles I didn't necessarily think could be successfully recast:

Elaine Princi as OLTL's Dorian, 1989-1993 ( >< Robin Strasser)

Robin Mattson as AMC's Janet Green, 1994-2000 ( >< Kate Collins)

Christina Bennett Lind as AMC's Bianca Montgomery, 2010-2011 ( >< Eden Riegel)

Lisa Peluso as Loving's Ava Rescott Alden, 1988-1995 ( ><> Roya Megnot)

Lee Meriwether as AMC's Ruth Martin, 1996-2011 ( ><> Mary Fickett)

 

"Honorable mentions" - otherwise very good recasts cut short of their potential mostly due to BTS-BS:

Carrie Genzel as AMC's Skye Chandler, 1996-1997 ( ><> Robin Christopher)

Grace Phillips as OLTL's Sarah Buchanan, 1992-1993 ( > Jensen Buchanan)

Carrington Garland as SaBa's Kelly Capwell, 1989-1991 ( >> Robin Wright; > Kimberly MacArthur)

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 10:54 PM, Dr Neil Curtis said:

Charity Rahmer as Belle 😂😂😂😂

 

I´ve never even watched Days and this recasting is iconic. She should come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YurSoakinginit said:

I'm only including recasts of character that were being played by an actor who popularized a role ... So for example, I can't add Genie Francis as GH's Laura or Cady McClain as AMC's Dixie, because their predecessors didn't exactly make an impact or impression. On the other hand, Sherry Stringfield as GL's Blake , I see differently - since Elizabeth Dennehy was clearly front-burner, and was arguably really good in the role - same for Judi Evans replacing Cali Timmins as AW's Paulina.

 

Karen Witter is for me the most impressive recast as OLTL's Tina. I just couldn't imagine anyone else succeeding Andrea Evans - I don't think any viewer at the time thought that was possible. Then she just showed up one day and did it. It was as if she and Evans rode on the same wave of energy and spirit. She generally resembled Evans, had a similar way of speaking and moving, and instantly connected with every single co-star on screen.

 

You didn't need anyone to tell you that she was Tina; it was 100% clear from the second she showed up. She eventually added some traits to the role: growth, signs of selflessness, more compassion, independence - not everyone was a fan of those changes, but Tina could retain childlike petulance for only so long. (The downside is that then-HW Michael Malone never truly got Tina, and would ultimately derail her on-screen under mis-recast Krista Tesreau, and then off-screen in his second run as head writer - reducing her to a deadbeat mom.)

 

Other actors who wowed me in roles I didn't necessarily think could be successfully recast:

Elaine Princi as OLTL's Dorian, 1989-1993 ( >< Robin Strasser)

Robin Mattson as AMC's Janet Green, 1994-2000 ( >< Kate Collins)

Christina Bennett Lind as AMC's Bianca Montgomery, 2010-2011 ( >< Eden Riegel)

Lisa Peluso as Loving's Ava Rescott Alden, 1988-1995 ( ><> Roya Megnot)

Lee Meriwether as AMC's Ruth Martin, 1996-2011 ( ><> Mary Fickett)

 

"Honorable mentions" - otherwise very good recasts cut short of their potential mostly due to BTS-BS:

Carrie Genzel as AMC's Skye Chandler, 1996-1997 ( ><> Robin Christopher)

Grace Phillips as OLTL's Sarah Buchanan, 1992-1993 ( > Jensen Buchanan)

Carrington Garland as SaBa's Kelly Capwell, 1989-1991 ( >> Robin Wright; > Kimberly MacArthur)

 

 

Yes to your entire post!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, Fevuh said:

Ellen Parker, Guiding Light.  Peter Simon Guiding Light.  Ron Raines Guiding Light.  All the Margo’s - World Turns.  The Toms - World Turns - barely remember Justin Deas as Tom.  Would never have thought that.  Beth Chamberlain GL.  Won’t be popular as I loved Beverlee McKinsey as Alexandra - GL but Marj Dusay grew on me.  Joan Collins brief stint was good too.  For recasts - no one replaced Brian Buffington as little Billy - GL in my heart.  He looked like Billy Lewis (Jordan Clark).   Take it back about the Margo’s - there was one who was horrible, maybe someone can remind me. Didn’t last long. 

I loved & adored Brian Buffington playing Little Billy. But, an older version, well, Daniel Cosgrove made an excellent adult Bill! There was one Margo I didn't care for, it's true, but I am blank on her name. I loved Rachel Miner as the match to Little Billy as Little Michelle. They were pistols as a pair! Joan Collins was a huge surprise to me & from what I heard she was an amazing workhorse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 6:30 AM, Dr Neil Curtis said:

John H. Martin as Dr. Bill Horton. Though briefly, he did well as Tom and Alice’s youngest son. He had good chemistry with the cast. If they ever decide to bring back Bill, John should be the one. 

 

 

I couldn’t agree more! He was great as Bill. He seemed like he belonged on the show. I bought that he had a long history on the show and with the cast even though he was only on for a few episodes. I find it extremely bizarre that they haven’t brought him back to join the cast on a long-term basis. Days really has a problem writing stories for men in that age category, though (these days). I guess that may be the reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I was thinking. Martha Byrne was Lily, ATWT.  I don't know of a SORAS'd character counts though.  I also liked Noelle Beck but always wanted Martha Byrne back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heather Rattray was the only Lilly I could stand. People underestimate her stint as Lilly because the overrated Byrne returned, but Rattray did earn a lot of acclaim in the role from the press when she was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 10:15 PM, titan1978 said:

Recasts are weird to me.  When I was a kid in the 1980’s, my favorite two shows GH and DAYS rarely recast a major part, and if they did it was to drive a major story- like Roman in DAYS.

 

On GH- when Luke and Laura, Holly, Frisco, Lesley, Jimmy Lee, etc left the show they left and their characters left town or were presumed dead.  Monty didn’t really recast major roles once we got past the Heather and Rick recasts of the late 1970’s.  DAYS was the same in the 1980’s as far as I can remember, with Roman being the major exception (and again, to drive story).  I don’t remember a GH recast until Duke, and that was a storytelling mess.

 

Y&R was relatively stable until Brenda Dickson left during that time too.  I don’t recall a major role being recast once the show really took off again mid 1980’s until Jill and then later, Jack.

 

It wasn’t until later, when I started to watch more of other soaps that I really noticed the recasts to keep story going.

Titan you pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  I watched DOOL, AW and GH.  I never watched GH prior to the early 80's and remember people talking about the actress that played Heather or Laura or Rick.  You never saw a recast on GH from like 1981- 1990 unless it was a child actor who had grown up and show years later and that is normal.    I remember when Christine Jones filled in for Jane Elliot as Tracy Quatermaine and that was the first time I ever heard an intro to a character playing somone else in the 9 years I had been watching the show.  DOOL never recasted either at that time except when minor characters were created.  I believe Kayla and Caroline Brady were seen in a few episodes with different actresses playing them but they were so minor they never even announced they were being recasted.  AW never stopped recasting.  Sallly Frame had dark hair and eyes one day and the next she was blonde and blue and a completely different person.  AW is still my favorite and they were not much different than most Soaps with recasting but I do remember that GH and DOOL never did until after the 90's.  I do also remember I think from like 1987- 1989 the only recast I saw on AW was Anna Stuart returning as Donna Love.  Very unusual for AW as there was constant recasting with characters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, the 25 Chris Hugheses on ATWT and 117 Kevin Buchanans on OLTL just feel like a blur to me. Looking back, even as sons of core families, they weren’t that needed over time to warrant so many recasts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Soapsuds said:

Heather Rattray as Lily Walsh

Melanie Smith as Emily Stewart

Gregg Marx as Tom Hughes

Hillary Bailey as Margo Hughes

Lyndsay Frost as Betsy Andropolous 

Now, here's a list where shockingly I didn't like anyone on the list.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, slick jones said:

 

 

gawdawful Glynis O'Connor

Yes, Glynnis O'Connor is mine, too. Just wretched.

50 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I mean, the 25 Chris Hugheses on ATWT and 117 Kevin Buchanans on OLTL just feel like a blur to me. Looking back, even as sons of core families, they weren’t that needed over time to warrant so many recasts. 

And, I mean, all those Tom Hugheses!

1 hour ago, denzo30 said:

Titan you pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  I watched DOOL, AW and GH.  I never watched GH prior to the early 80's and remember people talking about the actress that played Heather or Laura or Rick.  You never saw a recast on GH from like 1981- 1990 unless it was a child actor who had grown up and show years later and that is normal.    I remember when Christine Jones filled in for Jane Elliot as Tracy Quatermaine and that was the first time I ever heard an intro to a character playing somone else in the 9 years I had been watching the show.  DOOL never recasted either at that time except when minor characters were created.  I believe Kayla and Caroline Brady were seen in a few episodes with different actresses playing them but they were so minor they never even announced they were being recasted.  AW never stopped recasting.  Sallly Frame had dark hair and eyes one day and the next she was blonde and blue and a completely different person.  AW is still my favorite and they were not much different than most Soaps with recasting but I do remember that GH and DOOL never did until after the 90's.  I do also remember I think from like 1987- 1989 the only recast I saw on AW was Anna Stuart returning as Donna Love.  Very unusual for AW as there was constant recasting with characters.  

I so disliked Philece Sampler although I had liked her on DOOL, just not on AW. Anna stayed too long in Hollywood. Then they wrote this major story for her return! I taped every day. I still have those videotapes! And. Felicia had hair extensions that week. Boy, was that some hair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...