Jump to content
vetsoapfan

Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

The funny thing about that Marie Osmond article is the fact she has admitted in recent years to being an avid Y&R viewer since the 70's and even had several of the cast members on her talk show. 

 

 

LOL! So she's a soap addict who eventually faced facts and came out of the closet, just like so many vehemently anti-gay preachers and politicians who later get outed in gay bars. :)

 

12 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

Those various soap publications made sure to get many gratuitous beefcake shots of the soap actors. 

 

Some magazines were racier than others. And RBD became more provocative as time went on.

 

12 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

I never knew Janice Lynde was fired from Y&R. I always assumed she wanted out to do prime time etc...and to go back to New York.

 

She did want extensive time off to do other things, and the year before she left Y&R she had been absent for an extended period with "back issues," claiming her doctor had forbidden her to work. As pointed out in the press at the time, however, while she was supposedly unable to work on Y&R, she was photographed socializing all over town. I think William J. Bell finally decided enough was enough and did not renegotiate her contract. Unfortunately, her replacement never captured the essence of Leslie Brooks, and the character lost all her depth and color after Lynde left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, vetsoapfan said:

From Rona Barrett's Daytimes, April 1977 (debut issue)

 

Don Stewart (TGL) defends the soaps.

 

don stewart.jpg

 

Pre-internet, comments from the public were just as weird as they are today on social media.

 

no soap.jpgyou tell them.jpg

 

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, May 1977

 

Douglass Watson from AW.

 

watson 1.jpgwatson 2.jpgwatson 3.jpg

 

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, June 1977

 

Tina Andrews on DAYS' interracial romance.

 

andrews 1.jpgandrews 2.jpg

 

Harding Lemay, AW's head writer.

 

pete lemay 1.jpgpete lemay 2.jpgpete lemay 3.jpgpete lemay 4.jpg

 

More Warped Fans write to Eileen Fulton.

 

no soap 2.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

These Fulton columns are hilarious!!! I can't believe someone called her a pig!!! I love Fulton promoting her line of clothes from "J.C.Penny" and her bitchy responses...she might be closer to Lisa then we thought!! More Kitsch please!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, Mitch said:

These Fulton columns are hilarious!!! I can't believe someone called her a pig!!! I love Fulton promoting her line of clothes from "J.C.Penny" and her bitchy responses...she might be closer to Lisa then we thought!! More Kitsch please!!!

 

 

 

More of everything is coming. I am trying to find a decent second-hand or free scanner, which will allow me to share better-looking material, free of dark spots and smudges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

More of everything is coming. I am trying to find a decent second-hand or free scanner, which will allow me to share better-looking material, free of dark spots and smudges.

 

You can download the Scannable app https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evernote-scannable/id883338188  It is very easy to use and works with iPhones and iPads.  You simply take a picture of the document you want to scan and Email it to yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, watson71 said:

 

You can download the Scannable app https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evernote-scannable/id883338188  It is very easy to use and works with iPhones and iPads.  You simply take a picture of the document you want to scan and Email it to yourself.

 

Alas, I am old and decrepit, LOL, and have neither an iphone nor an iPad. I only have my trusty ol' laptop and an inexpensive (read: cheap) scanner I bought eons ago. If I were not on a very tight and fixed income, I would upgrade, but as it is, I have to make do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, April 1978

 

Our beloved Rachel Ames of GENERAL HOSPITAL! :)

 

ames 1.jpgames 2.jpgames 3.jpgames 4.jpg

 

Critic David Johnson complains about ANOTHER WORLD...again!

 

david johnson 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, May 1978

 

Woohoo, Josh Taylor was a mega hunk back in the DAYS

 

taylor 1.jpgtaylor 2.jpgtaylor 3.jpgtaylor 4.jpg

 

Eileen Fulton's No Soap

 

no soap 4.jpg

 

Critic David Johnson: LOVE OF LIFE

 

david johnson love of life.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, June 1978

 

New syndicated soap: HIGH HOPES (it bombed)

 

high hopes.jpg

 

Emily McLaughlin's health woes (what a gratuitously insensitive headline!)

 

emily collapse.jpg

 

 

Judith Light of ONE LIFE TO LIVE

 

light one.jpglight 2.jpglight 3.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, vetsoapfan said:

From Rona Barrett's Daytimes, April 1977 (debut issue)

 

Don Stewart (TGL) defends the soaps.

 

don stewart.jpg

 

Pre-internet, comments from the public were just as weird as they are today on social media.

 

no soap.jpgyou tell them.jpg

 

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, May 1977

 

Douglass Watson from AW.

 

watson 1.jpgwatson 2.jpgwatson 3.jpg

 

From Rona Barrett's Daytimers, June 1977

 

Tina Andrews on DAYS' interracial romance.

 

andrews 1.jpgandrews 2.jpg

 

Harding Lemay, AW's head writer.

 

pete lemay 1.jpgpete lemay 2.jpgpete lemay 3.jpgpete lemay 4.jpg

 

More Warped Fans write to Eileen Fulton.

 

no soap 2.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Go, Don, GO!😁  I miss Don Stewart...

 

And yes, those Fulton columns are absolutely hilarious.

 

THANK YOU for the Harding Lemay article. I really don't know how he was able to write two soaps simultaneously. It seemed from what he described in his book (and hinted in the article), he was likely suffering from major burnout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zanereed said:

 

Go, Don, GO!😁  I miss Don Stewart...

 

And yes, those Fulton columns are absolutely hilarious.

 

THANK YOU for the Harding Lemay article. I really don't know how he was able to write two soaps simultaneously. It seemed from what he described in his book (and hinted in the article), he was likely suffering from major burnout.

 

Lemay claimed that he enjoyed working on different projects at the same time, because it kept him "creatively fresh," but to be realistic, no one can write TWO soaps at the same time and still be expected to turn out quality material. It's hard enough writing a single soap and producing 250+ scripts a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Lemay claimed that he enjoyed working on different projects at the same time, because it kept him "creatively fresh," but to be realistic, no one can write TWO soaps at the same time and still be expected to turn out quality material. It's hard enough writing a single soap and producing 250+ scripts a year.

 

Bill Bell did it. Masterfully. Of course, he was the exception and not the rule. Did Agnes?

Edited by Bright Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bright Eyes said:

 

Bill Bell did it. Masterfully. Of course, he was the exception and not the rule. Did Agnes?

 

When Y&R premiered, Bell was still under contract to write DAYS, but fortunately for all concerned, he was shifted to Story Consultant status on that series, with Pat Falken Smith Smith taking over the reigns as head writer. Y&R and DAYS viewers were treated to excellent writing on both shows.

 

Many years later, when B&B debuted, Bell really had to handle two shows at once, but to be brutally frank, I never thought B&B was well written. It came across (to me) as a forced, pale imitation of its sister show, filled with mediocre writing and tepid characters. Without question, William J. Bell was a genius, but there's only so much any one individual can be expected to do.

 

Come to think of it, another master writer who juggled two shows at once was Henry Slesar, who penned The Edge of Night and Somerset at the same time in the early 1970s. I think of all the scribes who did double duty, Slesar actually handled it best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slesar also wrote EON and SFT for 6 months or so.

 

Irna Phillips wrote ATWT and AW amongst others.

 

Agnes wrote TGL and AW in 66/67.

 

But no one took on the challenge of writing 2 1 hr shows.

 

Did Lemay write all of L&F and then Tom King wrote FRFP? Or did Lemay bail on L&F durings its run?

Edited by Paul Raven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Did Lemay write all of L&F and then Tom King wrote FRFP? Or did Lemay bail on L&F durings its run?

I'm pretty sure Lemay wrote L&F for the few months it was on the air. Then, he claimed that while it was on hiatus,  the execs. removed him as headwriter of the show "in a justifiable move to protect Another World." He stayed on as consultant though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...