vetsoapfan

Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

On 7/28/2019 at 2:46 AM, Paul Raven said:

So enjoying these blasts from the past. Appreciate anything and everything you share.Thanks again!

My pleasure.

23 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

How was Irving Elman as a HW?

Not particularly good, to be honest. He had had a long career writing for Broadway and primetime TV before he got into soaps, so I understand why TPTB gave him a shot at daytime. Perhaps the pace was too fast for him, but his work on both SFT and GH failed to impress me..

Edited by vetsoapfan

From AFTERNOON TV, May 1977:

bert 1.jpgbert 2.jpgbert 3.jpgbert 4.jpgbert 5.jpgbert 6.jpgbert 7.jpgbert 8.jpgbert 9.jpgbert 10.jpgbert 11.jpgbert 12.jpgbert 13.jpgbert 14 may of 77.jpg

charita 1.jpgcharita 2.jpgcharita 3.jpgcharita 4.jpgcharita 5.jpgcharita 6.jpg

From AFTERNOON TV, February 1977:

(The headline that must have thrilled William J. Bell, LOL.)

lynde hates leslie 1.jpglynde hates leslie 2.jpglynde hates leslie 3.jpg

Editorial: RAPE ON SOAPS

From AFTERNOON TV, December 1973:

chris brooks rape 1.jpgchris brooks rape 2.jpg

From AFTERNOON TV, January 1977:

guthrie cover.jpgguthrie 2.jpgguthrie 4.jpgguthrie 5.jpg

From 1976:

(Gratuitous Beefcake Alert!)

nick benedict color.jpg

From AFTERNOON TV, December 1973:

benedict 1.jpgbenedict 2.jpgbenedict 3.jpgbenedict 4.jpgbenedict 5.jpg

From AFTERNOON TV, May 1977:

richard dean cover.jpgrichard dean 1.jpgrichard dean 2.jpgrichard dean 3.jpg

From AFTERNOON TV, 1979:

laura scotty 1.jpglaura scotty 2.jpglaura scotty 3.jpglaura scotty 4.jpg

From AFTERNOON TV, September 1977:

viki 1.jpgviki 2.jpgviki 3.jpgviki 4.jpgviki 5.jpgviki 6.jpgviki 7.jpgviki 8.jpgviki 9.jpgviki 10.jpgviki 11.jpgviki 12.jpgerika 1.jpgerika 2.jpgerika 3.jpgerika 4.jpg

17 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Did Viki really always have a romantic attraction for Larry?

They were always very close and Viki adored him, but it was Larry who really carried a torch for Viki for many years. 

Those articles are a hoot. Wasn't Richard Guthrie in the closet along with Wesley Eure ? I remember seeing a clip of Susan Hayes accidentally outing Richard on a live 1977 broadcast at an awards show. 

9 hours ago, SoapDope said:

Those articles are a hoot. Wasn't Richard Guthrie in the closet along with Wesley Eure ? I remember seeing a clip of Susan Hayes accidentally outing Richard on a live 1977 broadcast at an awards show. 

Many actors were in the closet way back when...and still are today. There were always rumors about Guthrie's orientation, and Seaforth Hayes did joke about it at that awards show (which I found offensive; outing gay actors without their prior knowledge and consent can play havoc with their personal lives and careers and should never be done), but I suppose the truth died with RG. He never publicly acknowledged anything.

3 hours ago, NothinButAttitude said:

Thank you @vetsoapfan for sharing all of this with us. I am seriously enjoying the articles giving backstory on many of the characters. 

I live to serve my fellow SONers! :)

14 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Many actors were in the closet way back when...and still are today. There were always rumors about Guthrie's orientation, and Seaforth Hayes did joke about it at that awards show (which I found offensive; outing gay actors without their prior knowledge and consent can play havoc with their personal lives and careers and should never be done), but I suppose the truth died with RG. He never publicly acknowledged anything.

I live to serve my fellow SONers! :)

I always wondered why Guthrie never did another long soap gig ? i know he died in the 90's and people rumored about what was the cause of death. SSF should have been more discreet.That would have been around the time of Anita Bryant.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, SoapDope said:

I always wondered why Guthrie never did another long soap gig ? i know he died in the 90's and people rumored about what was the cause of death. SSF should have been more discreet.That would have been around the time of Anita Bryant.

Funny but I didn't think that Richard Guthrie was gay.  I  had hoped but when I saw the picture of the ballerina in his article I thought my gaydar was off.   It's such a shame that back then and even now somewhat, that gay actors need to be concerned about coming out.  I'm sure rereading these old articles (Thanks again!) we can read between the lines. 

19 hours ago, Elsa said:

Wow, these articles are amazing! Thank you so much! 

I'm happy to share the limited material I find. I just wish I had more.

8 hours ago, yrfan1983 said:

Thank you so much @vetsoapfan !! Would love to see more YR, particularly early ‘80s and the transition from 30 min to an hour 

I'm about to upload a review of Y&R from shortly after it went to an hour!

From AFTERNOON TV, February 1977:

lisa 1.jpglisa 2.jpglisa 3.jpglisa 4.jpglisa 5.jpglisa 6.jpglisa 7.jpglisa 8.jpglisa 9.jpglisa 10.jpglisa 11.jpg