Jump to content
j swift

Best & Worst Soaps: Less than 10 Years On Air Division

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:
 
 
 
 
3
13 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Nursery school? So you must have been born in 1971-ish, and watched HTSAM when you were 3-4 years old?

 

 it was written by Anne Howard Bailey and featured several strident "talking heads," pontificating on women's liberation and wives' need to have lives separate from her husbands'. The principle problem was: the characters were flat, cardboard, and not particularly interesting or likeable. As a viewer, I did not want to be lectured to, LOL.

Just for clarification, I was 3-years-old when it premiered, and we only went to nursery school three mornings a week, but it was an emblem in my memory of how boring tv could be for a kid before children's daytime television became a thing.  This was right before Sesame Street premiered, and kindergarten was still voluntary, so pre-school kids my age in big cities wound up watching a lot of adult TV.  My most visceral memory is the talking heads, which in retrospect, were probably way ahead of their time.

 

 
 
 
On 5/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, pdm1974 said:
 
 
 
On 5/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, pdm1974 said:

Santa Barbara has always been my top soap...and one of my favorite TV shows period. I watched from the beginning to the end. When it was hitting on all cylinders it was off the chain good!

To be perfectly honest, I thought SB ran for more than a decade, otherwise, it would have been on my original list. It is my favorite first episode of a soap and I think the use of the time jump in the pilot was very influential for future soaps.  

   

 

I also considered Loving, but it was so variable in its run that I cannot decide which list I would place it on, overall. 

Edited by j swift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the major reasons that How to Survive a Marriage seemed so dull  may have been that the words of its initial writer, Anne Howard Bailey, could not be changed.  The performers were instructed to never change a single word, and that made the show wordy and possibly dull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, j swift said:

Just for clarification, I was 3-years-old when it premiered, and we only went to nursery school three mornings a week, but it was an emblem in my memory of how boring tv could be for a kid before children's daytime television became a thing.  This was right before Sesame Street premiered, and kindergarten was still voluntary, so pre-school kids my age in big cities wound up watching a lot of adult TV.  My most visceral memory is the talking heads, which in retrospect, were probably way ahead of their time.

 

Well, no toddler can decipher all the complex nuances of adult conversation, and I daresay that 3-year-olds would find even universally-acknowledged classics like Little Women, Pride and Prejudice or Hamlet to be largely incomprehensible and/or tedious. At that young age, I found Irna Phillip's and Agnes Nixon's shows dull too. All the people did was talk!  It's unfortunate that you cannot sample HTSAM (particularly Edelstein's reign as headwriter) now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Well, no toddler can decipher all the complex nuances of adult conversation, and I daresay that 3-year-olds would find even universally-acknowledged classics like Little Women, Pride and Prejudice or Hamlet to be largely incomprehensible and/or tedious. At that young age, I found Irna Phillip's and Agnes Nixon's shows dull too. All the people did was talk!  It's unfortunate that you cannot sample HTSAM (particularly Edelstein's reign as headwriter) now.

 

Was Edelstein writing HTSAM when David Bachman had his fatal heart attack? I was around 11 at the time and those scenes were riveting. I would love to see Edelsten's stint on HTSAM. I wasn't impressed with his short stint as head writer of The Doctors in the 1969 reruns. There was a noticeable shift in the writing as soon as Rita Lakin left. There was a unique intelligence in the writing when Lakin was there that disappeared as soon as she was gone. I think he only last five or six months before Ira Avery replaced him. I would love to know what Edelstein planned for Julie Forrest, who changed drastically under Ira Avery and Stanley Silverman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

 

Was Edelstein writing HTSAM when David Bachman had his fatal heart attack? I was around 11 at the time and those scenes were riveting. I would love to see Edelsten's stint on HTSAM.

 

Yes, that story unfolded under Edelstein. You're right: it was riveting and brilliant. I sobbed like I had known Fran Bachman for decades, LOL. I'm glad that the actress who played the role, Fran Brill, won the Best Actress in a Single Sequence that year at the Afternoon TV awards. She deserved it.

 

I agree that Rita Lakin was better than Edelstein on The Doctors; she was that soap's best scribe during its run, IMHO, but then again, some writers just end up being better suited for certain shows. Ann Marcus was very good on Search for Tomorrow. Under her pen, the ratings took a huge and sudden swing upwards. She was also perfect for Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Unfortunately, when she followed Pat Falken Smith on Days of Our Lives, she was DREADFUL. To me, her work on DAYS was the worst of her entire career. It was so terrible that I wrote a furious letter to Betty Corday, the first and last time I have ever written to the producer of a show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...