The Talk: Discussion Thread

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/4/2021 at 2:12 PM, DRW50 said:

Wasn't Jerry on some flop Dick Clark "male View" or was that someone else?

I watched that show! It was called The Other Half and ran from 2001-03. Dick Clark, Danny Bonaduce and Mario Lopez hosted, as did Dr. Jan Adams at the outset (who years later would perform plastic surgery on Kanye's mom - you all know what happened there) until he was replaced by Dorian Gregory of Charmed.

8 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

I watched that show! It was called The Other Half and ran from 2001-03. Dick Clark, Danny Bonaduce and Mario Lopez hosted, as did Dr. Jan Adams at the outset (who years later would perform plastic surgery on Kanye's mom - you all know what happened there) until he was replaced by Dorian Gregory of Charmed.

It was a bad idea. The show was cringeworthy to watch. The Talk is trying to do the same thing and it's not working. The ratings have dropped even further after Sharon left.

Dick Clark had originally titled it The Other View but I guess Babs and Bill put the kibosh on that.

I truly don't understand why this is still around. They can never get the cast right, it's had endless behind the scenes drama, the co-hosts are expensive and ratings have been declining for years. I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see them try a soap again. You can make it financially viable by filming in Atlanta and soaps are reliable fall back entertainment. Of course in reality they'd just replace it with another generic talk show or game show.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, Soapsuds said:

It was a bad idea. The show was cringeworthy to watch. The Talk is trying to do the same thing and it's not working. The ratings have dropped even further after Sharon left.

I actually liked the show a lot, but guessing by the ratings I was in the minority. YMMV.

15 hours ago, SFK said:

Dick Clark had originally titled it The Other View but I guess Babs and Bill put the kibosh on that.

That's shameless. I'm not surprised ABC got the hammer out.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, Faulkner said:

I believe you’re right! And Access Hollywood Live got cancelled, so I wouldn’t be surprised if The Talk also had their eyes on him or Scott Evans (not Chris’s brother but a very handsome black man).

Access Live has actually been renewed through 2025! https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/access-hollywood-renewed-through-2025-1234949551/

Edited by irishguy1985

On Deadline.com I saw that ABC has renewed all its prime time game shows with the exception of the Disney-owned Millionaire and Fremantle's The Match Game.  I would not be shocked in the coming weeks if CBS  announces that The Talk will be replaced by a daytime version of The Match Game. Fremantle already produces Price is Right and Lets Make a Deal. They already have the set built for Match Game, but I'm not sure they could keep Alec Baldwin as host of a 5-day a week game show.  

On 5/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, DRW50 said:

That's shameless. I'm not surprised ABC got the hammer out.

I remember seeing that Soul Train documentary where it was revealed that Dick Clark stole the concept from Don Cornelius and put out Soul Unlimited, so I can't say that it surprised me that Clark tried it.

3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I remember seeing that Soul Train documentary where it was revealed that Dick Clark stole the concept from Don Cornelius and put out Soul Unlimited, so I can't say that it surprised me that Clark tried it.

Oh wow. I'd never even heard of that.

31 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Oh wow. I'd never even heard of that.

It was a whole mess. Performers were caught in the middle- loyal to Cornelius for giving them a platform on television, which very few black artists, particularly soul artists had, but also afraid to turn down Clark for fear they might not get a chance to play to a "mainstream" audience on American Bandstand. Cornelius actually asked Jesse Jackson for help, because with Clark's connections, he feared Soul Unlimited would poach artists and ratings from Soul Train. Despite its name, Soul Unlimited only aired twice a month, I think (that's less than Winter's Wednesdays!). I don't remember what happened exactly, but Soul Unlimited indeed had a limit, as the show was eventually pulled off the air.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

Is this show still on the air? The only time it seems to trend is when someone gets fired.

Yes. I have DVR'ed it since 2016 and have deleted it without watching for weeks. They've had male guest co-hosts for the better part of a month. I say put this thing out of its misery already.