NOTICE: What Happened, How It Was Resolved and Moving Forward

SoapDope

TV Stars Of The Past That Should Have Done Soaps

16 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I can definitely see Alyssa and Tia. Justine, sure, maybe. Meloni would probably end up as a baddie-antihero in the Tom Eplin mold. MJF, I’m having more trouble picturing, not just because of his illness, which soaps wouldn’t have known what to do with. Where would you picture him?

I didn't even consider MJF presently on a soap. I was thinking more after Doc Hollywood but before Spin City. I think he would've been good on a P&G soap either As The World Turns or Guiding Light. 

6 minutes ago, Forever8 said:

I didn't even consider MJF presently on a soap. I was thinking more after Doc Hollywood but before Spin City. I think he would've been good on a P&G soap either As The World Turns or Guiding Light. 

Yeah, he’d have thrived on a soap like ATWT (up until a certain point anyway). They liked the sensitive DeFreitas/Kavovit types who weren’t conventional hunks. His height would become an issue, I’m sure. Billy Warlock certainly worked a lot, but you can see how marginalized and emasculated he became.

(Of course, MJF would never have done a soap with his stature and name brand, but just imagining an alternate universe.)

If Michael J. Fox "belonged" on any soap, it would've been AMC, during the Greg/Jenny/Jesse/Angie/Liza/Tad heyday.

Edited by Khan

1 hour ago, Khan said:

If Michael J. Fox "belonged" on any soap, it would've been AMC, during the Greg/Jenny/Jesse/Angie/Liza/Tad heyday.

That’s interesting. I wonder if he’d have been a second banana due to his small stature or if his charisma would have shone through and overshadowed Larry Lau or MEK. Alternate histories are fascinating.

Okay, but I first I have to figure out which one's Tamera.  I've been at that since "Sister, Sister" and I'm still at a loss.

I always think of soap parts for the lost glamour actresses of the 70s.  The kind of women who were always on Fantasy Island, but not quite on Charlie's Angels. 

Susan Anton

image.jpeg

Priscilla Barnes

image.jpeg

and Lynda Day-George

image.jpeg

On 4/1/2019 at 11:07 PM, SoapDope said:

I am a classic TV fan. What actors do you think should have done soaps later in their career ?

Kristy McNichol (Family)

Her brother, Jimmy, was on GH.

Some of my picks (and I'm not sure if any of them did actually appear on daytime):
John Astin (I could see him as a quirky character on DOOL circa mid 1980s)
Lee Majors could have been a Buchanan relative on OLTL (thinking of his Big Valley experience)
Bill Bixby had he lived...a doctor character anywhere.
Barbara Bain could have a played a cool, dispassionate shrink, maybe a Gail Baldwin/GH type.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, Khan said:

What could have been ... I'm now picturing Michael's ample charisma being put to excellent use as Tad Martin.

21 hours ago, j swift said:

I always think of soap parts for the lost glamour actresses of the 70s.  The kind of women who were always on Fantasy Island, but not quite on Charlie's Angels. 

Susan Anton

image.jpeg

Priscilla Barnes

image.jpeg

and Lynda Day-George

image.jpeg

I see any or all of these women as a Cassadine mistress who reforms, sort of like Tiffany Hill if she hadn't become one of the gang. 

49 minutes ago, Bright Eyes said:

I've always wanted Cathy Moriarty on a soap. Her and Catherine Zeta-Jones, with those appealing seductive voices, would be a sure fire win.

Cathy would have been excellent as a member of the Spectra family. (Or perhaps a secretive nurse ...)

Cathy Lee Crosby

Connie Sellecca (even though she was on the primetime Hotel)

Latoya Jackson (see her playing a campy/quirky character).

Melinda Culea (from A-Team)

Pamela Hensley (from Matt Houston)

Shelley Smith ( actress and known for her many game show appearances)Image result for actress shelley smith

Oh, definitely Shelley Smith should have been on Y&R at some point during the late '70's or early '80's.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, John said:

Laura Leighton would be a good Nina on GH

Yes I agree with this

I also feel that Nancy McKeon or Kristy McNichol would have been perfect members of the Cooper family on GL. Perhaps cousins, or even one of them being a Harley recast. 

On 4/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, Khan said:

Okay, but I first I have to figure out which one's Tamera.  I've been at that since "Sister, Sister" and I'm still at a loss.

Tamera has the mole. Tia is prettier (which I'm sure you can't see since you can't tell them apart but trust me on this).