kalbir

Y&R April 2019 Discussion Thread

It’s definitely an end of an era. But the future? I dunno. I hate to sound vaguely nihilistic, but is there a future? Y&R is mortally wounded in so many ways. I don’t think a cancellation is imminent, but I feel like we’re in a prolonged denouement of Bill Bell’s creation. Lots of spinning wheels.

Bryton has really stood up to scrutiny in this difficult time. He’s been the focus for a lot of this, and he’s held his ground admirably, beyond proving his worth in my opinion.

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/04/the-talk-yr-shemar-moore-victoria-rowell-christel-khalil-bryton-james

I loved what Bryton had to say about Victoria Rowell being the reason his character even exists. In the clip, he references that she fought for the storyline about foster care and Victoria chimes in about it being awareness month in May.

You can spot the places where Shemar improv'd in the close-up of his highlighted script monologue in the first clip at the link above. It's very close to the final scene. You can probably guess what he improvised even if you don't look at it.

18 minutes ago, Vee said:

You can spot the places where Shemar improv'd in the close-up of his highlighted script monologue in the first clip at the link above. It's very close to the final scene. You can probably guess what he improvised even if you don't look at it.

Oh my gosh, I told several people that my favorite lines in the episode were Shimmy's lines, "And then he'd make some corny-ass joke, because Neil was such a cornball.  He'd say to me, 'You're so corny.'  And I'd say, 'Naw, you're so corny, you make me look like Tupac!'"   And every BIT of that was Shimmy improvising.  (It made Lily laugh out loud.) 

6 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

Outside of the extended Barber/Winters/Hamilton family & Victor, Ashley, Nick, Jill, Victoria, Sharon & Nikki all should have spoken. Neil was legitimately close with them all.

I've never cared for Christel but she was solid today. Shemar & Bryton were really good.

It was weird seeing Leslie expressing regret over not marrying Neil when she's currently happily married.

Jack & Neil as friends (much like Lauren & Phyllis) has NEVER made sense.

Stan Shaw was a welcome presence.

I thought Nikki was suppose to speak because there was a BTS pic of MTS touching Neil’s picture?

Not pairing Neil with Nikki & Malcolm with Jill were two huge mistakes.

1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Arturo's being killed? Wow. As far as Rey, he could easily be paired with Ana or Mariah. Ideally Ana should be paired with someone younger like Noah or Fen but Y&R has no interest in writing for either of them.

13 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

I thought Nikki was suppose to speak because there was a BTS pic of MTS touching Neil’s picture?

Had the director moved the final segment of yesterday's show to the beginning of today's they would've been able to fit her apparently cut scene in.

Today was another very well done episode.

I liked seeing Neil's family and friends gather in the beginning at his penthouse, while Ana played the piano and sung an upbeat song to honor. I also enjoyed seeing Malcolm continue to comfort Neil's family, especially Lily. I liked that he told her that Neil would want her to keep pushing on.

It was also nice to hear Sharon/Nikki mention Drucilla by name and his relationship with Dru being talked about a little. I am glad that Nikki told Lily that she would always have a friend in her. And I think that Nikki took a lot of comfort out of Lily telling her that Neil knew he could count on her. Nikki was pretty distraught about Neil's death. I think that she got just as much comfort out of hearing that as Lily got out of hearing her words of comfort about Neil and their friendship.

Sophia getting to share her thoughts/perspective was also nice to see. She was a very warm, supportive presence on the show today. And I think that the New Nate looks and fits in well with the Winters family. I thought that his conversation with Malcolm on the couch seemed very natural. 

And I enjoyed seeing the flashbacks of Neil. My favorites were the ones of him and Malcolm from their earlier times on the show.

Edited by xtr

1 hour ago, DeeeDee said:

Not pairing Neil with Nikki & Malcolm with Jill were two huge mistakes.

Reveal hidden contents

Had the director moved the final segment of yesterday's show to the beginning of today's they would've been able to fit her apparently cut scene in.

That's a shame if the scene was cut....unless I just missed something.

1 minute ago, YRfan23 said:

That's a shame if the scene was cut....unless I just missed something.

It does look like her scene may have been cut. Doug Davidson also said that Paul was supposed to be at the funeral. But they were moving faster than his call time, and he was written out at the last minute. He said that he was only going to get one line, where he offered his condolences. Also, Phyllis was not at the penthouse today though she was at the memorial service yesterday.

Unless that's something that's always been an issue with the show...it seems in poor taste that they rushed through the filming of the funeral. 

5 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

I'm hearing that MTS filmed hers but it was cut. And I can't be mad because I'd rather have had the people closest to KSJ and Neil have the time and not rush versus getting a montage of speeches that blended together 

I honestly think the show sees this as the end of an era. Neil, Olivia, Dru, and Malcolm are the past. I'm not even sure the show knows what the future is yet. But part of me is glad that CK has decided to step back a bit. I'm hoping it's not permanent. But what that does is allow the show to get rid of Lane and Daniel Goddard. They can take this mediocre white man out of their orbit and allow the black characters to be leads in the family. Stretch the writers to be more creative for those characters that they just find it so hard to write for. 

It's OK to hate on people, but this is racist. 

2 hours ago, Fevuh said:

It's OK to hate on people, but this is racist. 

What's racist is the show sticking a white man in the only black family and centering him in the family and every story that the family got for over a decade because they find it easier to write for white males and value them more. My wishing for the show to STOP doing that is not racist! Me wishing for the black characters to be leads in their story and family is not racist! But you're free to think so. 

Edited by ajsp35801

I watched part of Wednesday but haven't had the opportunity to finish seeing everything else. I did see The Talk segment and it was once again amazing to hear how great Kristoff was to work with.