Unflattering Photos/Articles Of Soap Actors

• Members

I recall Wings Hauser did an interview around the 25th anniversary of Y&R and about his time on the show, he said something like " I learned to never do soaps again. Any actor who says they are hard work is full of it. It's a hair show. Years later he sucked it up and reappeared as Greg Foster during that awful story of killing off Liz to make Jill a Fenmore. Melody Thomas Scott never mentions him in interviews EVER. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have never appreciated Guza's writing or style, but at least I can objectively admit that he had some success at times in daytime TV.

Pratt, on the other other, was an abject failure everywhere, and should NEVER have been given free reign to run any show.

Wings Hauser was woefully miscast as Greg Foster: he was smarmy, unlikable, oozed creepiness, and was homely as hell. Yuck.

• Members

I remember a Kate Mulgrew interview early in Voyager's run, I think with Michael Logan, where she complained about being remembered more for being on Ryan's Hope than for her other work, like Hedda Gabler. Some of the soap press names of the era, like Mimi Torchin, were clearly not pleased, passive-aggressively claiming that it was no big deal while listing all the examples of why Mulgrew's career had not been up to much between RH and Star Trek. (the irony being that everything in how Torchin ran SPW at the time gave me the vibe that she herself was pretty much sick of soaps) 

Given that Kate did return to RH multiple times and also conducted an invaluable interview with Claire Labine before Labine passed away, I guess it was either just Logan (or whoever) muckraking, or she was just fed up at the time. 

• Members

Jim Houghton was a much better Greg Foster. I remember, in 2010 when Wings Hauser returned, thinking that Greg had aged horribly and looked like he, instead of his mother Liz, should be laying in the hospital bed.  This was especially noticeable when compared to Houghton’s  looks when he had reprised the role in 2003.

• Members

I agree. Several people commented on how Wings looked when he returned. I always picture Jim Houghton in the role when I think about the character of Greg. JH and Melody Thomas Scott would have made a stunning soap couple if he had continued playing the part.

Archived