Best UK/Non-US Soap Scenes

• Members

Those are wonderful scenes, @DRW50.

I noticed the writer credited at the end is Frank Cottrell Boyce, who wrote the screenplays for a bunch of Michael Winterbottom films including 24 Hour Party People. He also did a Doctor Who episode. So many writers in British TV and film cut their teeth in the soaps. Jimmy McGovern, who later created Cracker and The Street, started out on Brookside as well. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sorry guys I know I'm a pain in the ass, just my enthusiasm for Neighbours is unparalleled

Please register in order to view this content

I know for some reason Neighbours doesn't resonate well with Americans. Of all the clips I posted, the one from the official Neighbours Instagram with Sonya is brilliant. She's such a brilliant actress. Though yeah, that Margot Robbie one with legend Harold rapping is a rare clip of complete gold.

This is one of my favourite EE moments ever. Brilliant!

• Members

Emmerdale gave one of their long-running characters, vicar Ashley Thomas, dementia. While I think in the long-term this was a big mistake, as he was one of their strongest characters (and actors), much of the material of the story was wonderfully done, truly heartbreaking. 

Here is the "special episode" from his point of view, which even went as far as to go back and film in locations they had last used 20 years earlier (when he'd first joined the show).

• Members

^^

That was one of Emmerdale's best episodes in years. Of course it helped that we got to see a glimpse of the old village which added so much and brought back so many fond memories.  

Please register in order to view this content

I also love all the old Coronation Street clips. I can see why it was such a success back in the days. For some reason I've never really felt any connection to EastEnders though. I don't think it has ever aired here, but I've tried watching some clips on YouTube but it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way that Coronation Street and (especially) Emmerdale Farm do.

Love this scene from Coronation Street. First appearance of the legendary Bet Lynch, and with a very Hyacinth Bouquet-like attitude from Annie Walker.... 

I liked that Sally & Kevin were together a whole decade until his affair with Natalie. A couple being together all those yrs without an affair is unheard of in an American soap. I don't have a problem with Gail,Kevin and Sally. The writing of the last decade has really hurt all 3.  I miss Deirdre. Even though her Ken could be rather insufferable at times.

• Members

So...I watched about 5 of the Neighbours scenes posted here and they were all middling to bad. But! This scene showed up in my recommendations after watching those and it's actually very good, the acting saves the rather average writing. She's very good, I hope the actress is still treated well on the show.

• Members

I think that's probably the best work that she's done on the show; she also had some very meaty material a few years before where she revealed that she had helped her mother to die when she was a teenager.

I love the show and always will because it's "my soap", I'm the same age as it and grew up with it. I completely see its flaws and I'm lucky that there have been only a few periods where I've had to stop watching. The quality has never plummeted through the floor so dramatically that I think the damage is irreparable but there have been some very close calls.

That said, it is wildly inconsistent... if I take Jackie Woodburne as an example, I feel like she shines when she's absolutely committed to the material as above. She's phenomenally talented but unlike some actresses, she can't sell the hokey stuff and around 2005-6, the tone of storylines changed so dramatically for her that she became used to doing these heightened, campy performances and I think she enjoyed getting to play more of an edge to her character.

Her last great work I think was when the character was diagnosed with MS in 2007. There is one particular scene which I desperately looked for to post (but couldn't find it) where she is temporary blind but hasn't yet been diagnosed. She's in hospital for a CT scan and freaks out halfway through until Karl goes in to her. They'd been rather stoic up to this point and then both break down - I've not seen it for some time but it always used to have me in floods.

As for other soaps, ironically, I think many of the best moments are more difficult to track down online than they are for the US soaps. The Laurel scenes in Emmerdale are on my list so glad to see they've been posted. I'll ponder anything else that I might be able to find.

Edited: As if by magic, that's one of the scenes I remember vividly!

Edited by JamesF

• Members

More Laurel and Ashley scenes. 

This is in Ashley's last months, when she goes to visit him. He's dancing as part of his therapy/exercise. She joins in, and for just a moment, he seems to recognize her again. It's such a lovely and heartbreaking moment that John and Charlotte play with all the depth they bring to their roles. 

A vicious argument between them that someone asked me to upload last year.

Ashley visits Laurel in a dream.