Y&R: Potential Neil Recasts?

• Members

I wouldn't want a recast.  As it is I feel like they destroyed the character over the past few years and it cannot be fixed now.  I feel awful about KSJ and it makes me more angry now knowing how badly they wrote the character.  I'll never get over the "I had to kidnap Hillary when she fell off the cliff and keep her hidden so that I could give her back to you" storyline.  And I hate it that it tainted the character forever and destroyed my memory of him. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Definitely NO to a re-cast of Neil, in respect to Krisoff St. John.  However, I would bring on a great re-cast for his brother, Malcolm Winters.  Someone more in the line of Shemar Moore, and definitely not the horrible re-cast that was previously done.   Peter Parros would be a good option agreed.  Anthony Montgomery (ex-Andre, DAYS) , Real Andrews (exTaggert, GH, ex AMC, DAYS and currently on THE BAY), Alimi Ballard (ex-Frankie< AMC), or Cornelius Smith Jr (ex-Frankie AMC).

• Members

Those were highly problematic introductions, and very dated perceptions. What spoke to me about these characters was the way the actors lifted them with their own talent and charisma, and Bell responding to that and writing more and more layers around them. As a kid, I was aware of the dodgy significance of Dru being illiterate and therefore 'less than'. That SL was shot through with condescension. However, what spoke to me, a teen uncomfortable in her own skin, was that Dru felt out of place and rejected by her family (and therefore society as she knew it) and never felt she could measure up to Olivia, Neil and others. 

Looking back on the way Bell wrote Neil, I wonder how much Bell imbued the character with values he publicly espoused (family first and all that) and how much was KSJ's own energy and character. It's clear from the tributes what a kind and loving guy he was to everybody around him. I was just speculating though, and nothing I have read about Bell or KSJ supports my speculation.

• Members

This thread makes me sad and I have to say as I have said elsewhere you cannot do something as such...Same as trying to recast Katherine, Jack, Nikki, Jill or Victor......I always loved KSJ for so many reasons not just his acting and he is ONLY Neil....always will be Neil....

(SIGH)

• Members

You're right. They don't. Lol

But I refuse to allow Moses to relive Neil's glass ceiling. It'd mean Neil's independent success and legacy is wiped out. Id rather see, Moses at HWG deciding he's going to beat Newmans at their own game cause of the slights his father took and prove he's a better businessman than his father ever was. Now, that's the story for a young black man who was the product of two high level execs. 

Neil's story was the 90s. His story was of one seeking access to the Newman world and success. Moses story should of one who was born with the access his father earned and building on it. He should come in and do what his father and older brother never did. Compete with newmans. That's 2020. 

• Members

Way to kill a dream.

Please register in order to view this content

You're right. I've always felt the show should take another step with winters. They've always been played as friend to Newmans and Abbots. Neil and Devon both have the history to back that up. Moses doesn't have that connection. So it'd be easier to have him come on doing things that Devon and Neil wouldn't 

Archived