Y&R: Potential Neil Recasts?

• Members

I love that MAB brought on a lot of black characters, but I agree the writing was bad. I think with better writing you could’ve made something of Roxanne, Sofia and a properly recast Malcolm. I think MAB had lots of good ideas involving bringing on past characters, but she was just a horrible, outlandish writer. 

Now on on the subject of this thread, I’m offended anybody would suggest recasting Neil. I feel to even consider it speaks to how undervalued the black stars of Y&R are. Kristoff St John, Tonya Lee Williams and Victoria Rowell were Y&R legends. Certain roles can’t be recast and I strongly believe their roles cannot. Because they are black they don’t get their due, but Kristoff’s death just showed how popular he was and how much they wasted a goldmine these past few years. CBS and Sony should be ashamed of themselves. I said that before his death and I’ll still say it. These people have a serious problem with black people and their work to dismantle this family has been a disgrace! And let’s not forget when Bryton and Kristoff got in trouble for complaining about Winters Wednesday. Everything Victoria Rowell said was 100% correct. 

What we need to be discussing is a proper sendoff for Neil Winters. He deserves a full week long celebration bringing everybody in his life back and creating a new story to continue his legacy. Perhaps a SORASed Moses? Will he get it? Probably not, but it’s what he deserves. Personally I’d bring back Sally Sussman to write his exit story. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

100% this, ESPECIALLY your last paragraph. 

There was a time when I thought TPTB's treatment of the Winters family was casual, unconscious racism of the over-privileged -- like that was the way it had always been on TV. Now I know better. The dismantling of this family has been purposeful, conscious, targeted, overt. It is the rejection of one demographic in pursuit of the waning interest of another. It is shocking and it breaks my heart that Y&R never followed up on the hard work William J. Bell laid down.

It's even more crazy to think a Midwestern, white, conservative male of a certain generation, like WJB was, wanted to establish flesh-and-blood black characters that went beyond tokenism. Watching the show back in the early 90s, it felt to me like he had fallen in love with these characters, especially Nathan, Liv, Drucilla and Neil. Sometimes I wonder if Neil (as opposed to Jack) was sort of a Bell alter ego. On the other hand, so much of Kristoff was infused into the character of Neil. The sweetness, the commitment to family, the desire to present a certain picture of manhood at odds with the prevailing mantra of 'only bad guys are interesting' that still exists in Daytime. 

Anyhoo, sorry for going OT.

• Members

That's actually an interesting sub-topic, if you don't mind the digression. I have no doubt Bell's heart was in the right place, but the fact that both Nathan and Dru were introduced as illiterate (and with Nathan originally known as "Kong") is unthinkable to me - even for 1990, or the mid-80s. If he did passionately believe in these characters or even identify with some (which is an idea I'd love to hear more about), I wonder if any of the actors have ever spoken about the problematic nature of their dated introductions.

• Members

Well, introducing Drucilla as illiterate was a way for Nathan to connect with her, since he taught her how to read -- and I guess the thinking was, if Nathan, an established character, cares about this girl, so, too, will the audience.  But I see your point.

• Members

Why is this even a question. Some roles can be recast, true. But then there are roles with only one actor playing them for decades - in that that character becomes identified by the actor.

This is one of those times. It would be like recasting Erica Kane or Marlena Evans. No.

I was in grade school when this occurred, but I have read enough about it. Days once wrote out Lee Dumonde, played by the late Brenda Benét, who sadly committed suicide not long after the death of her 6-year-old son with actor Bill Bixby (of Incredible Hulk fame) by having her character leave a letter. If the show does not want the tragedy of art imitating life, I suppose that can be done. But either do that or kill off Neil Winters. A recast is a non starter.

• Members

Not surprised at the OP posting this title. They once posted a topic calling for Traci to be recast with someone thinner. That is not meant to be an attack, just an observation.

Recasting an iconic character is pointless, because much of why a character is liked is due to how the actor portrays the part. There are just some characters that should be written off when the actor passes on.

• Members

I would rather they not recast the role of Neil and instead address his passing on screen and pay tribute to Neil, bring back Shemar Moore for a few episodes as Malcolm to mourn his brother and try and rebuild the Winters family.  Has Neil and Malcolms father ever been discussed??? If it has not then maybe bringing him on to the show to try and take over Neil's place in business might bring for some interesting storyline and allow Malcolm, Lily and Devon to question why NOW does Neil and Malcolm's father comes to Genoa City.  

It would also be a nice nod to Dru and Neil fans if they brought in VR to usher Neil into heaven 

• Members

I like the idea of Neil's father coming on. He could have other children that comes on later. I definitely think the show should use Neil's funeral to bring on new/original Winters and/or Barber relatives as well as being back old ones to bridge the gap. 

Archived