ajsp35801

Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

6 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I definitely got the sense that someone/some persons did not want Devon/Hilary to become "THE" couple, so when Mishael Morgan asked for a raise after five years of solid work, her request was rejected.  They were just fine with letting one of the best couplings to come along in years because they didn't want them to be "The Face" of Y&R any more than they'd ever wanted Dru & Neil to be "The Face" of Y&R

Yes, I think that was a huge part of it. I think having a popular black couple become a major audience/PR factor was seen as a regressive step to 'old Y&R' in the eyes of management. Which is so sick in 2018-19, but here we are.

22 minutes ago, Vee said:

I have a lot of thoughts about all that but this is 100% correct AFAIC:

They've been trying to dismantle the black canvas for many years (and largely succeeded). Which is ironic since when I was a kid I only knew Y&R in passing because of Victor, Katherine, Dru and Malcolm. To CBS/Sony today, pushing the black canvas would be 'going backwards' past how they've tried to 'modernize' Y&R. Insane but it's how they seem to think. It's the same mindset that gave you Steve Burton, or a bunch of other ABC stars starting with Latham's regime, or the fairly forced push of the Rosales characters because it's possibly a McDaniel pet project (and lest we forget, it's been focus tested that Latino characters on soaps read 'more white' to a conservative audience - something ABC learned long ago). It has nothing to do with what makes Y&R Y&R, it's always about making it something else. The black viewership and canvas are Y&R, and they've always been a threat. Which is why when it came to letting Mishael Morgan drop they didn't hesitate.

And it’s literally counter to where 90 percent of the (non-soap) industry is going. A good portion of the hot shows on TV (Killing Eve, The Good Place, Atlanta, Pose, Homecoming, This Is Us, etc.) have POCs in prominent roles. Daytime has such an inferiority complex toward primetime, except, conveniently in 2019, for the featuring of non-whites.

What’s sort of ironic is that, although they were never written that well under her pen, LML initially seemed to value (or at least relatively feature) the Winters family. (Although now that I’m thinking about it, that might have been during that transitional period when Smith and Alden were still on staff.) And then the faucet of white ABC castoffs flipped on.

Edited by Faulkner

2 hours ago, Faulkner said:

And it’s literally counter to where 90 percent of the (non-soap) industry is going. A good portion of the hot shows on TV (Killing Eve, The Good Place, Atlanta, Pose, Homecoming, This Is Us, etc.) have POCs in prominent roles.

Agree.  Factor in how internet and streaming are creating more and more opportunities for talented POC, and it shouldn't be any surprise that traditional broadcast television, including the daytime soaps, is becoming extinct.

9 hours ago, Khan said:

Agree.  Factor in how internet and streaming are creating more and more opportunities for talented POC, and it shouldn't be any surprise that traditional broadcast television, including the daytime soaps, is becoming extinct.

It’s true. But even CBS has stepped up with diversity in primetime (a lot of its recent sitcoms have had black leads like The Neighborhood with Cedric the Entertainer and Happy Together with Damon Wayans, Jr. Plus, God Friended Me with Brandon Michael Hall has been a sleeper hit for them).

It’s just curious that Y&R of all shows is well-positioned to take advantage of this.

And yet they... don’t.

I’m sure Angie McD would tout the Rosaleses, but we all know that’s different. (We see you, daytime.)

17 hours ago, Faulkner said:

That Robert Adamson post was the most affecting so far, and from someone I probably least expected.

Some people are better with words than others. Being so does equate with the level of grief one feels. I'm sure a random professional writer could pen an eulogy for my grandmother that'd resonate with minds and hearts more than anything I ever could, but that doesn't mean they feel any grief for her whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, Eboneece said:

Idk anything about his taping schedule, but I do remember that he was inexplicably absent from late last month’s The Talk special on Y&R. He was promoted as soon as the day before it aired, if I recall correctly.

He was actually their that day but did not come out. We've seen pics of him BTS. I don't know what happened. 

1 minute ago, ajsp35801 said:

Some people are better with words than others. Being so does equate with the level of grief one feels. I'm sure a random professional writer could pen an eulogy for my grandmother that'd resonate with minds and hearts more than anything I ever could, but that doesn't mean they feel any grief for her whatsoever. 

Sure. I wouldn’t deign to think RA somehow has a deeper connection to KSJ than others. I don’t know much about him at all, which is why I didn’t expect it. His writing affected me, that’s all.