Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. You expect us to talk about KSJ but never mention what his representation meant for black people in daytime? Some people have the luxury of loving KSJ/Neil without the added weight of finally seeing someone who looks like them on the show or even seeing someone but not noticing.  That's great. But resenting others who have an added bonus of seeing and noticing and speaking appreciatively of it along with calling out TPTB for how they treated him and black characters is the very definition on the worst kind of privilege. Everyone doesn't have to love or speak about KSJ the way you do. They are allowed different emotions. Your way isn't the only right way.  

As you should be able to tell by now from all the black actors from daytime who spoke out, KSJ knew what he meant for black folks and the genre. He knew!  Rome Flynn spoke about how KSJ pulled him aside to discuss the responsibility he carried being a black male in daytime and what that meant. KSJ respected that. But because it makes you uncomfortable, you want us to ignore an integral part of KSJs career and Neil's existence. To do so makes it more about you than him. And it ain't about you! 

Honoring KSJ without mentioning his legacy of representation is like honoring MLK without mentioning the civil Rights movement. Like I said, ridiculous! 

Mmmhmm. *skeptical*

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

That’s a load. If TPTB want to tell a story they’ll tell a story, they didn’t want to tell the story of John and Mamie.

And I’m sure there are a ton of black women named Mamie just as there are a ton of Tyrones and Jeromes but look at the optics of it. She’s one of the few black people and she’s a maid/caretaker. It was not a good look.

If the show didn’t hate Victoria Rowell so much Lily would have most certainly named one of her children after her mother. But no, they act like she never even had a mother. She just sprung forth from Neil’s loins. It’s sickening. On other shows, even when actors have left less than amicably, they still mention the character from time to time.

Edited by Darn

• Members

I didn't try to dictate anything. I gave my opinion on something but I wasn't do blatantly rude as you to me to shut hell up.....It's funny you not once answer my post but only to insult and tell me to shut the hell up? I thought I was allowed as other posters said to speak my opinion.

I guess not cause it showed here you have zero self control and attacked me just because I mentioned it was an honor thread for him....I have never told anybody what to post but if somebody is going to insult things and expect me not to give my opinion I feel it's wrong and to attack me as you have is blatantly wrong. I didn't attack anybody I spoke my peace and was explaining myself to whom questioned me.

I wont speak of VR and her issues as I feel it's not the place but I don't feel KsJ was treated badly as he never had issues with TPTB, he was on the show and obviously shown very happy with the cast for 28 years in interviews and videos.

No need to attack and hurl insults as well as to tell me to "shut the hell up" as nobody cares what I have to say... Thank you for that.....

Edited by BellaCuore

• Members

This is why it’s so important to have people of color in front of AND behind the scenes. Let’s assume Bill Bell meant no ill will (I don’t think he did but he knew exactly what he was doing. I don’t know why we make excuses for someone who exclusively wrote for white people for 30 some odd years) having someone black in the room may have highlighted how problematic Mamie was or Kong or Dru being an illiterate runaway were. 

• Members

+1......

NO you didn't get my post. I meant speaking of other peoples issues other than KSJ...I don't want to dictate anything at all but I was just offering an opinion...I never told people they can't and I wouldn't, just my opinion is all. I would not try to dictate anything....

I also didn't say my way was the only way. I wouldn't say or feel that.

You are "twisting completely" what I felt was right in my opinion.....Then to say that I think..... my way is the only way which I didn't ever say nor would I nor do I feel that....I don't know where you got that from?

Just trying to bring peace and bring peeps together. I guess it didn't work out too well....

Which I see I was attacked for and also cause I answer people some think I am trying to have the last word??? Geeze....I was not, just being polite to answer and explain but as I am told "nobody gives a damn  what I think" and "I should shut the hell up"...Hurtful.  No matter the difference in opinion.... I wouldn't say that to somebody...

Goodnight.

Edited by BellaCuore

• Members

They could have named either the boy or girl Winter. I mean, since they had a trend of giving maiden names as first names. The boy could have been given Neil or Malcolm as a middle name...or even Ethan, canes real name. But nope. The show just didn't care about those kids. 

• Members

The level of enmity and pettiness is what rankles me. OK, so TPTB hate VR. Fine. She’ll never be on the show again. But to basically retcon Dru’s existence off the show? A character who was so important to not only Neil, Devon, and Lily, but also Sharon and Phyllis? Hardly a week goes by without a John Abbott reference.

• Members

In the Classic SOD thread, Kristoff's casting notice for Y&R was posted around the same time as his death.  I found it remarkable that his casting was announced in the SOD issue immediately after the end of Generations.  Also, that he was not a contract player at first makes his continuity even more of an accomplishment

Please register in order to view this content