Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Members

"But unlike Jesse, who was a tough college dropout, Adam on "Generations" was more in keeping with the wealthy and upwardly mobile white characters typically featured on daytime dramas."

This is probably why I was more drawn to Winters/Barbers than any other day time family. 

Mia is named after Angelica's daughter. 

If the show ever allowed another black baby to be born on canvas into the Winters family (Devon is past due), do you guys think it'd be too on the nose or in poor taste to name the child after Kristoff? Or would Neil be better? 

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just posted this in the Old Y&R thread. Check out the scenes at 23 minutes in and 31 minutes in.

These are such sweet scenes between Neil & Dru, with Neil talking about his faith... I sense there is a lot of KSJ in here. What a magical couple.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I remember when I first started watching Y&R, 20 years ago, and I found out that this black family had a matriarch with the name of MAMIE and I was bowled over. Mamie is a hop skip and a jump from Mammy, forget that this woman was a maid. I mentioned how incredibly fucked up that seemed on some forum and got blasted with "Mamie is a NAME! MAMIE EISENHOWER HELLO!".

So yeah, race in relation to soaps will always be met with someone wanting to shut you down, don't talk about it, it makes them uncomfortable.

• Members

Also made the correlation to Mammy. I honestly always thought it was intended to be connected being that Mamie wasn't just a maid. She was a "mammy",  so to speak, to the Abbot children. I never liked it. And I cringe every time her "deep connection" to the abbots is brought up here like it's something to be revered. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

And usually they seem to want to come after me, regardless of whether I actually initiate the topic.  Part of me wants to laugh and the other part wants to cuss somebody out because I'm f*ckin' sick of it.

I agree that it's a topic worthy of discussion, regardless of what a few posters think.

• Members

I'm still annoyed by that name though I know it was Sophia's father's name. 

Yes, their mammy. Sure. 

Had she been more than that, her and John would have married. 

However, can we blame Bell for writing what he knew.

https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/ncm/index.php/2013/06/02/mammy/

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

It’s funny: both Moses and Mamie are names that have been passed down within my (black) family for generations. I now understand how the similarity to “Mammy” bothers people. Certainly, domestic workers who are WOC are still very much part of our culture.