Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Soap Opera Digest's podcast talks about Kristoff in this week's episode of their podcast Dishing with Digest, which is weekly fluff to be honest, you can tell the hosts/editors think daytime is mostly in the pits but this is their livelihood so they can't completely sh!t on it. The interviews with various soap stars are good though, they just let the actors talk about their history in daytime, the one with Linda Dano in particular is great. She's a lovely woman. 

• Members

Honoring KSJ as I always have said I loved his character singularly and will keep my posts honoring him....A 2 time Emmy winner...Multiple NAACP award winner.

Here is some more cast tributes below.

This one is REALLY FUN....

Edited by BellaCuore

• Members

No offense to Amelia because I'm sure she meant well but I'd rather work at a place where I am treated as a valuable employee whose contributions are justly recognized and compensated than a family member.  Family sometimes contains members who take advantage of other members or take family members for granted.

Some families are completely dysfunctional.  The soap opera itself  was a genre that dramatized family conflicts. 

I've become wary of companies/businesses that claim to treat their employees like family.

• Members

Correct! Yet, there's also the other side of this coin to consider. Sometimes FAMILY are so dogged when they know one of their own IS/HAS BEEN in severe dire straits, that they will leave no stone left unturned when it comes to keeping up with the plight of one of their own. Reading between the lines here............

Edited by Vanguardian

• Members

When it's your actual family, sure. 

Since Kristoff's passing, I've seen tweets and social media posts from Y&R using the actual words family, Kristoff being part of the Y&R family but I've learned to be wary of when a corporate behemoth uses words like family, it usually means they want the employee to fall in line with the company's bottom line, even at the risk of their own personal well-being.

Y&R/Sony is a corporation, not a family and they have the high-turnover to prove it.  In cases like that, I think it's worth much more for the corporation to say that his talent and hard work (not contributions) helped the show maintain their status of being the #1 show.  To say less than that is to not acknowledge someone who was a reliable talent that helped maintain and build your corporation's success.

When someone uses the same word that the corporation has been using, it risks being seen as parroting the company line but again, I know that's not what she meant to do.

I'm just really not fond of company's claiming family status.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Obviously she meant well.....

No offense to you that you have helped make a "Rest in peace thread of KSJ turned into Victoria Rowell" which I find sad and disgraceful with countless posts all about her issues with YR/Sony when this is about KSJ and honoring him

I will leave the thread as I don't want to be part of disrespecting a beloved man who died tragically and it's VR is brought up nomatter when this is NOT about her. 

Edited by BellaCuore

• Members

Has Y&R not had high turnover over the last few years?  They've lost a lot of other actors beside VR.  I'm not the one dragging Rowell into every situation.  You must have me confused with someone else.

I'm not going to do the back and forth with you.  Yes, I have openly discussed the situation with Rowell but I'm perfectly capable of discussing Y&R's corporate mechanism without discussing VR.  Would you rather I talk about another actor like Doug Davidson?  Ask him how he feels about Y&R as a family.  Mishael Morgan?  Because Y&R has churned through quite a few actors.

• Members

It’s pretty difficult to pay tribute to the legacy Kristoff is leaving behind if you don’t mention Victoria Rowell. That would be like Katherine with no Jill or Victor with no Nikki, they go hand in hand. Dru and Neil were a super couple with enduring popularity. I don’t think it’s a bad think to bring that up. Kristoff’s best work was opposite people like Shemar Moore, Victoria Rowell and Tonya Lee Williams.

I don’t think anybody, including Rowell have made it about her. The issues they faced were similar. It’s like when there’s a major shooting and people say “now is not the time to discuss new gun laws.” That’s done to distract and get people off the hook. It’s the same with race issues, let’s just ignore it until everything is quiet and then these companies do the same thing over and over again. 

• Members

It's almost impossible to discuss KSJ and his history on the show without bringing up how he was devalued later in his career and the why's behind that devaluation. 

This is the truth. The show didn't value him and I'm convinced that they thought fans and definitely the wider community, including actors and random folks who don't watch soaps, didn't value him either. Boy were they wrong. They should have known that his presence echoed long and loudly. I've seen so many people that grew up with the soaps in the background of their childhoods mourning. That's the echo of his daytime popularity from the 90s. 

We've had big deaths, but none resonated like he did. Which is ironic since he's the one that was valued the least by TPTB. 

• Members

I just blissfully noticed something else. Were TPTB thinking of Kristoff when they decided to create two characters bearing the names of one of his daughters and his ex-wife? LOLA and MIA, respectively. Hey, maybe they can name sexy future male characters Julian and Kristoff. I LIKE!