Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wait...these people were expecting them to put together a meaningful one-hour tribute show less than a week after his death? Do they even soap? I thought the initial tweet was pretty clear in that this would be a quick post-show moment. Any soap fan knows that it takes a month or two before an actual tribute is written, produced, and aired...

• Members

Exactly. I get you didn’t have time, but what they came up with is obviously so cherry picked and didn’t capture the essence of Neil IMO. I think promoting it repeatedly as a tribute confused more casual fans or people tuning in just for that. I just have to trust the April tribute will truly be fitting. 

Quick Victoria Rowell interview with ET: https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/victoria-rowell-mourns-young-and-the-restless-co-star-kristoff-st-john-in-emotional

• Members

The special episode for Jeanne Cooper was done three weeks after her death.  If Y&R is going to have their fans wait until April, it had better be good.  I won't hold my breath.

Yes, and that brief clip at the end of Friday's episode didn't even include Victoria Rowell, Tanya Lee Williams or Debbi Morgan from what I can remember.  I'll let you make of that what you will.

I was watching some of the newsreel clips above the article and one claimed that KSJ leaves behind a daughter and a fiancée.  Last I remembered, he has two daughters. And it was a CBS affiliate too.

That ET interview with Victoria Rowell was heartbreaking.  The pain and grief is palpable, especially that clip of Kristoff in his prior interview, then on top of that VR's reaction to seeing the clip.  I've mostly been able to hold back my tears throughout this time but that made the tears flow. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I think TPTB are used to having their decisions fly under the radar.

How many times is Y&R trending on Twitter and covered in multiple mainstream outlets, including an appraisal in the New York Times?

The microscope they’ve been under this week likely forced them to take *some* action quickly. 

• Members

I definitely get the sense that Y&R is reacting, rather than taking action of their own volition.  My guess is that they thought that "tribute" after Friday's episode would be sufficient, especially since they had diminished the character so severely.  They hadn't foreseen that the response to KSJ passing would be so overwhelming and so sustained, on top of it.  They are in a position where they are behind things and are rushing to try to catch up to the response.

• Members

Yep. KSJ’s death has produced by far the most coverage of any soap star we’ve seen, and we’ve lost some big ones over the years. Y&R severely underestimated his importance and now they’re scrambling and scraping to respond appropriately. I can only imagine the emergency executive meetings that happened this week.