ajsp35801

Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

26 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

David Grant on GL was initially a troubled character who is black, but evolved past that. Too bad they had no idea what do do with him once Monti Sharp left the role. 

Before my time with GL. 

15 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

There was nothing wrong with making Marshall a rapist beyond not writing for him.

There was absolutely something wrong with making him Jessica's rapist. 

16 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

I guess, people still overlook Malcolm having sex with Dru when she was in a heavily drugged state.

I don't which is why I wanted Malcolm as far away from Dru as possible. I was also pissed when the reveal came that lily wasn't Neil's child. They played it like she cheated when she NEVER did. 

I always thought KSJ got a raw deal on most soap forums - I thought one forum, was it TWOP? PTV? calling him 'Kneel' was disgusting. The show turned Neil into the goat for a lot of stories, but that wasn't on KSJ who I always found really compelling and unique. The show worked to emasculate him, and (as with Jack, IMO) fans helped.

As for Lamman Rucker, the instant they did a rape story he was toast. It was a waste.

@DeeeDee, you mentioned that Tonya was crying all night? Did she post something somewhere? An interview? Or do you know her personally? Just wondering!

As sexy as Lamman is/was, it wasn't going to amount to anything beyond being paired with actresses of color (which in a more equitable environment would've been fine) but in the current daytime climate means an immediate trip to the backburner.

11 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

As sexy as Lamman is/was, it wasn't going to amount to anything beyond being paired with actresses of color (which in a more equitable environment would've been fine) but in the current daytime climate means an immediate trip to the backburner.

Which is why they shouldn't have him rape one of the few WOC on the show. Limited a limited character even further 

38 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

There was nothing wrong with making Marshall a rapist beyond not writing for him.

The writing was terrible period.  But soaps' writing of rapist characters has usually been highly problematic.

1 minute ago, ajsp35801 said:

Which is why they shouldn't have him rape one of the few WOC on the show. Limited a limited character even further 

+1

Lamman was the first truly sexy, charismatic character the show had had in years.  In the first truly spicy pairing Jessica had,  tptb gave viewers a tantalizing glimpse of what could be, only to poison all possibilities?  

It's not like they had all these romantic possibilities lined up for Jessica (who had been on the show since 1988) and Travers was just one of many...there was nothing lined up for Jessica after the Travers storyline.

If you're going to savage a character, at least make sure there's a back up, but ATWT thoroughly obliterated any chance of having an strong male actor with leading man potential and long-term possibilities on the show.  

P&G wanted to get rid of all its soaps anyway so I supposed killing off any possibilities to get people excited about the show was in the grand scheme of things, I suppose.

Wait, didn't "Doc" Reese come after Marshall Travers?  I seem to remember Jessica and Margo fighting over him and thinking how ridiculous it was to watch two grown women -- one of whom was married -- fighting over an AA man like he was Mandingo reincarnated.

1 hour ago, Khan said:

Wait, didn't "Doc" Reese come after Marshall Travers?  I seem to remember Jessica and Margo fighting over him and thinking how ridiculous it was to watch two grown women -- one of whom was married -- fighting over an AA man like he was Mandingo reincarnated.

Doc Reese was practically a nonentity.  His time was shorter and less impactful that Marshall Travers.  Nobody looked good in the Doc Reese storyline, both Margo and Jessica looked like thirsty fools.

6 hours ago, Faulkner said:

I wonder if they have a fear of being seen as a “black show,” which has been a common anxiety. They’ve always taken black folks for granted, that we’ve been trained through years of marginalization to empathize with white characters and not see ourselves, while the larger white audiences aren’t used to making the leap to empathize with non-whites as much. They are banking on black folks not putting up a fuss and taking what they’re given, while “making more space” for the white folks, throwing the diversity crowd a bone with the Rosaleses.

But now black audiences have more options than ever to see ourselves, and we’re not going to sit idly by and watch CBS/Sony kill us and push us to the margins, especially when we’ve been supporting this show and boosting its ratings for decades.

WORD. 

That scene between Neil/Olivia, so sad. TLW is such an amazing actress and continues to be a great person. If anyone needs to return, it's her. I know a lot of people didn't like it (for good reason), but I also miss seeing Neil's apartment. The sets were so much richer.

Lastly, that Sabryn Genet tweet surprised me. I've always said she is one character that should come back. 

10 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Also, Theo on DAYS. Rare black male (himself a DiMera legacy character) as desired sex symbol in a triangle with two legacy characters who happened to be white. Ron Carlivati came on, had him shot, paralyzed, and shipped out of town. (Black characters are also almost always most expendable during regime changes. Never allowed to build momentum, continuity, equity to create viewer investment.)

Now, the actor wasn’t great (nor are a lot of folks on DAYS), but his treatment spoke volumes.

Not to mention the entire storyline was written to drive sympathy for the white cop (JJ) instead of properly play the complexities that race played in his shooting and potentially having JJ come to terms with his own buried prejudices about black people, or said prejudices within the police force.

Hell, they had Abe come off as the heavy for laying into "poor sad Jennifer" while she cornered Abe at every opportunity to talk about how sad JJ was. No subtlety, no nuance to it, and then, in the end, OOPS ALL WAS FORGIVEN LOL NO BIGGIE.

Absolutely disgraceful way that story was handled. You're all right, the way black characters are handled needs to come from behind the scenes before it'll ever show on screen. It's funny, because when the Grants were introduced on DAYS in the mid-70s, they hired a very talented black writer and poet (whose name escapes me at the moment) to ensure their portrayal and story were accurate and authentic. Apparently this is too much to ask in 2019.

Edited by beebs