Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Members

Yes, I think that was a huge part of it. I think having a popular black couple become a major audience/PR factor was seen as a regressive step to 'old Y&R' in the eyes of management. Which is so sick in 2018-19, but here we are.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And it’s literally counter to where 90 percent of the (non-soap) industry is going. A good portion of the hot shows on TV (Killing Eve, The Good Place, Atlanta, Pose, Homecoming, This Is Us, etc.) have POCs in prominent roles. Daytime has such an inferiority complex toward primetime, except, conveniently in 2019, for the featuring of non-whites.

What’s sort of ironic is that, although they were never written that well under her pen, LML initially seemed to value (or at least relatively feature) the Winters family. (Although now that I’m thinking about it, that might have been during that transitional period when Smith and Alden were still on staff.) And then the faucet of white ABC castoffs flipped on.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Agree.  Factor in how internet and streaming are creating more and more opportunities for talented POC, and it shouldn't be any surprise that traditional broadcast television, including the daytime soaps, is becoming extinct.

• Members

It’s true. But even CBS has stepped up with diversity in primetime (a lot of its recent sitcoms have had black leads like The Neighborhood with Cedric the Entertainer and Happy Together with Damon Wayans, Jr. Plus, God Friended Me with Brandon Michael Hall has been a sleeper hit for them).

It’s just curious that Y&R of all shows is well-positioned to take advantage of this.

And yet they... don’t.

I’m sure Angie McD would tout the Rosaleses, but we all know that’s different. (We see you, daytime.)

• Members

Some people are better with words than others. Being so does equate with the level of grief one feels. I'm sure a random professional writer could pen an eulogy for my grandmother that'd resonate with minds and hearts more than anything I ever could, but that doesn't mean they feel any grief for her whatsoever. 

He was actually their that day but did not come out. We've seen pics of him BTS. I don't know what happened.