Days: February 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I also like Rob Wilson and have since AMC. He's not Douglass Watson but he has things he's good at. That being said, they did no work to redeem Ben.

RC has done many a get-out-of-jail-free plot with bad guys on GH and OLTL to redeem or absolve characters of their sins via some retcon. The fact that he hasn't even bothered with Ben, a serial killer, smacks of a resentment towards the audience to me, given he failed to do so with Franco at GH (also a serial killer) and defended that choice until the end of his run there and possibly beyond. Like, 'you'll take this and like it.' It wouldn't have taken much to fix Ben, but no one has bothered.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's see, Ben is a pariah to the people of Salem, he can't get a job cause of the things he's done(Stefan doesn't count, he'd hire anyone), no one is singing Ben's praises, he's not being propped

I'd say he's been redeemed compared to a lot of other soap character's who've done the same or worse. 

• Members

If being unemployable leads to redemption, then hallelujah, by His stripes, I am healed!

Unless Ben didn't actually kill anyone (and since this is DAYS, that's entirely possible), I don't think there's any way you COULD redeem him without looking as if you're romanticizing a psychopath.

• Members

Ben is a pariah because most of the town has a loved one who was murdered or tortured by him, lol. That's not redemption, that's simply how Ben deserves to be treated by the people of Salem. And day in and day out we hear Ciara going on and on about how he's a changed man and a good man. It's so over the top that we've heard Abigail, his victim, get told not once but twice now that she of all people should be able to understand that Ben is capable of changing. And I'm sure he'll be the one to save Ciara and Charlotte. It's all so forced. It's like Franco on GH, but at least with him they tried to explain his serial killing with a brain tumor (which is BS). They have done nothing to try to redeem Ben. Last time the character was on canvas he was a psychotic serial killer, and now they decided they want to bring the actor and character back so they had Marlena say, "Yeah he's sane enough to go back to the real world" and here we are.

Archived