Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

The Media/Journalism Thread


Faulkner

Recommended Posts

  • Members

One of the aspects of NYC living that I missed most had been the NYC Public Library system, even more so when I had discovered they had access to Kanopy. Well, call me tardy, because I just found out that the NYPL cut Kanopy, citing high costs. It makes me wonder how much longer Kanopy will be sustainable and will other library systems follow suit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
17 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

One of the aspects of NYC living that I missed most had been the NYC Public Library system, even more so when I had discovered they had access to Kanopy. Well, call me tardy, because I just found out that the NYPL cut Kanopy, citing high costs. It makes me wonder how much longer Kanopy will be sustainable and will other library systems follow suit?

That's horrible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 10/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, DramatistDreamer said:

One of the aspects of NYC living that I missed most had been the NYC Public Library system, even more so when I had discovered they had access to Kanopy. Well, call me tardy, because I just found out that the NYPL cut Kanopy, citing high costs. It makes me wonder how much longer Kanopy will be sustainable and will other library systems follow suit?

That's awful. Kanopy is great.

 

Meanwhile:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Yes, it's not surprising to see the media rushing to praise Irving, as they do any anti-vaxx figure. 

I have mostly just seen right wing figures talking about this story (that includes David Lat, unless he has changed over the years), which is unfortunate, because, while this is not a pressing issue, I do think it's important as a reminder of how much certain journalists try to play god. Katie Couric has decided to try to sell books by confessing to not fully publishing some of the comments RBG made about Colin Kaepernick kneeling. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
25 minutes ago, Vee said:

 

He's not missed here in Cleveland, where he hadn't gone full-blown conspiracy theorist, but almost. Thank you, Kyrie, for the 3-pointer that won Cleveland its first championship since 1964, but I'm glad you're barred from playing now. Good for the Nets for not backing down.

Edited by amybrickwallace
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
27 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Yes, it's not surprising to see the media rushing to praise Irving, as they do any anti-vaxx figure. 

This is more an Atlantic thing. The media is fascinated with "vaccine hesitancy" bc they always try to cater to 'the real America' but they've also excoriated the antivaxx problem without always making the direct connection to the 'hesitant' people they love to cover. Whereas the Atlantic, in recent months and years, has become fascinated with posting the most contrarian takes possible. This is their unique wheelhouse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
19 minutes ago, Vee said:

This is more an Atlantic thing. The media is fascinated with "vaccine hesitancy" bc they always try to cater to 'the real America' but they've also excoriated the antivaxx problem without always making the direct connection to the 'hesitant' people they love to cover. Whereas the Atlantic, in recent months and years, has become fascinated with posting the most contrarian takes possible. This is their unique wheelhouse.

I never looked at it that way, though I'm not from the Atlantic states or live in one. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
59 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

I never looked at it that way, though I'm not from the Atlantic states or live in one. Thanks.

I think Vee meant the publication, which has gone badly downhill in the last year (after their Afghanistan screeds I stopped entirely).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Sam Stein of, wait for it, Politico gets ratioed over snarking about Buttigieg being "MIA" on paternity leave, then digs in against basically half of political Twitter including Politico nemesis Neera Tanden before throwing a fit and logging off/ragequitting. This is just a small taste of the rest I won't post.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Community Activity

    1. 4,365

      Soap Stars - Where are they now?

    2. 348

      Texas!

    3. 692

      "Secret Storm" memories.

    4. 3,887

      Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy