Edward Skylover

Best US Soap Scenes

I was looking through this thread to see if this scene had been posted and I didn't see it, although I believe someone mentioned when Shannon O'Hara dunked arch-nemesis Barbara Ryan's head in the toilet.  I found the episode that contains the scene which I queued here. 

There's another funny part a few minutes later when Shannon and Harriet return to join Shannon's fiancé Brian at their table in the restaurant.  

BRIAN:  Well, there you are.  What took you so long?

SHANNON: We ran into a friend in the powder room.  She wasn't feeling very well, she was a little flushed

Shannon and Barbara had some great battles back then but this was one of the times it got physical. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

On many ranker lists including a 20/20 people magazine special years ago, I see GH hailed as the greatest soap of all time. Curious as to which soap you all would consider the GOAT.

imo ranking  all the final soaps (though I like them all): 

1 GH

2 Y&R

3 ATWT

4 OLTL (4/5th place debateable)

5 AMC (4/5th place debatable)

6 GL

7 DAYS

8 B&B

(Passions😳)

Edited by ironlion

Yes, music can be an important way to convey emotions and Bruce Springsteen's I'm On Fire is perfect for this scene but really, IMO, the scenes without musical accompaniment, just the sound of the thunder, are somehow even more intense because there's no filter through which the characters are expressing themselves to each other.

And sometimes music can be a crutch for lazy writing or lazy acting but without it, the actors have to work under their own power, without a device.

I used to love when music was used on soaps.  Not just a super couple theme, but when they picked a song that added to the scene.  GH used a couple of Chris Isaak songs for Sonny/Brenda montages and they were perfect.  Back when I actually cared about Sonny.

Primetime and streaming shows have totally stolen the multiple character montage at the end of an episode with music playing over it.  They can afford the music.  This used to be a soap staple.

2 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I used to love when music was used on soaps.  Not just a super couple theme, but when they picked a song that added to the scene.  GH used a couple of Chris Isaak songs for Sonny/Brenda montages and they were perfect.  Back when I actually cared about Sonny.

Primetime and streaming shows have totally stolen the multiple character montage at the end of an episode with music playing over it.  They can afford the music.  This used to be a soap staple.

It's one thing to use pop songs for a montage but sometimes writers can use it to paper over ineffective writing or the director will stick it on in post-production to cover up for weak acting. 

Sometimes primetime shows like Grey's Anatomy overuse and abuse the use of music as a shortcut to emotion and it's painfully obvious. 

I really appreciate how the music drops out in the next scene between Reva and Josh when there is dialogue, I couldn't imagine music being put in that scene, it would absolutely kill the dialogue.  Back then, scenes were longer and there was more time for the actors to build emotion through the dialogue. 

Speaking of Josh & Reva, powerful scene from 1996. Still stunned at some of what Josh said to Reva in public!

Edited by ironlion