Jump to content
Edward Skylover

Best US Soap Scenes

Recommended Posts

Alex and Roger at the country club is epic in a way only soaps can do.  Slow build, culminating in several stories coming together.  The scenes with Alex confronting Mindy before, the actual Country Club scene with most of the major players in town, the scene outside on the balcony with Alex, Alan-Michael, Roger, Blake and Frank, and the next scenes with Alexandra and Roger are just incredible.

 

She plays so many layers between all those scenes, and that voice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DaysFanatic777 said:

I LOVE Susan Lucci, and what soaps fan does not?  You must respect her place in history no matter how you may feel about some of her performances.  I mean, she is the ultimate soap actress.  

 

However, I watched Alex skin Roger alive as a kid, and those scenes were riveting beyond compare.  

 

Woman of the year didn't make that impression.  

 

Marlena levitating didn't do it for me either, and I am a HUGE Days fan.  

 

No, Beverly delivered the best possible performance at that country club.  It was not over the top, or too understated.  Bev found the perfect balance and made history.   I have watched daytime for most of my 39 years, and those scenes at the country club were the best I have ever viewed. 

I agree. I certainly think Susan’s performance is entertaining and iconic and shows more depth than she often gets credit for, but it’s ultimately narcissistic and indulgent, which is perfect for Erica as a character. Whereas Bev is full of vitriol and sarcasm toward Roger (and Mindy), but also a lot of tenderness, regret, humility, and hurt. As writing, it’s stronger, and has great lines (the “I’m worth millions” lines are clever) while maybe not as “yas queen” flashy and meme-able as Erica’s speech. And Bev just has full command of every little pivot Alex makes. She was just a genius, and I was only 10-11 when I saw that, so it definitely left a lasting impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I agree. I certainly think Susan’s performance is entertaining and iconic and shows more depth than she often gets credit for, but it’s ultimately narcissistic and indulgent, which is perfect for Erica as a character. Whereas Bev is full of vitriol and sarcasm toward Roger (and Mindy), but also a lot of tenderness, regret, humility, and hurt. As writing, it’s stronger, and has great lines (the “I’m worth millions” lines are clever) while maybe not as “yas queen” flashy and meme-able as Erica’s speech. And Bev just has full command of every little pivot Alex makes. She was just a genius, and I was only 10-11 when I saw that, so it definitely left a lasting impression.

Beverly was an artist!  She had a way of taking us on a journey without announcing it.  Yes, the writing for GL during that era was amazing, but the writing alone didn't sell the performance; Beverly did.  She had a way of backing off and portraying a sense of meekness, but she also knew when to plunge the knife.  She had uncanny instincts.  

 

On most of the "soaps" now, they only know how to glaze the ham and serve it for dinner.  She is truly missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe any Susan Flannery scenes haven't been posted! As bad as B&B can be she never was. She played every single moment with such intensity and honesty. Can you imagine 25 years of having to be angry with Brooke? Not once was she not absolutely on fire with her hatred of this woman. Just look at how she answers Nick's (the idiot) question in this clip.

 

 

She's also phenomenal here, giving Eric (the idiot) a dressing down for lying to her over her part ownership of Forrester. Give her a stage and a speech and she utterly kills it.

 

 

 

Here Stephanie confronts Brooke (the idiot) over her affair with her daughter's husband. It is visceral and full of such venom. "Take a look, you b!tch! That's no halo and you're no heroine!"

 

 

The show lost so much with SF's departure. She was the intellectual center of the show. Without her it's just a bunch of hair models and Brooke and Ridge and Eric and their libidos dictating every single decision in their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SF really did elevate the show, but I imagine unhinged, grotesque Stephanie is similar to what Beverlee McKinsey would have faced had she remained as Alex on GL.

 

Basically, a great, ferociously intelligent actress slumming it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

SF really did elevate the show, but I imagine unhinged, grotesque Stephanie is similar to what Beverlee McKinsey would have faced had she remained as Alex on GL.

 

Basically, a great, ferociously intelligent actress slumming it.

So true.  

 

I remember how many people reacted when McKinsey walked away from GL.  A lot of folks thought she must be some difficult control freak that didn't know her place.  In reality, she ran out of that place like it was on fire for several good reasons.  One of those many mitigating factors was that she saw the handwriting on the wall, and knew her character would be butchered had she stayed.  

 

I hate that she left, and yet I am thankful she exited when she did.  In my mind, she was Alexandra, and she's preserved in time as the character I always loved more than any other.  In hindsight, her departure has allowed us to remember those days more fondly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

SF really did elevate the show, but I imagine unhinged, grotesque Stephanie is similar to what Beverlee McKinsey would have faced had she remained as Alex on GL.

 

Basically, a great, ferociously intelligent actress slumming it.

 

You're so right. As the show went on Stephanie became this...entity. She was hardly a character, she was just the stuff of nightmares. There to scream at her children and her rival and not much else. I'm glad she left when she did even if the show lost a lot (it didn't deserve her).

 

8 minutes ago, DaysFanatic777 said:

I hate that she left, and yet I am thankful she exited when she did.  In my mind, she was Alexandra, and she's preserved in time as the character I always loved more than any other.  In hindsight, her departure has allowed us to remember those days more fondly. 

 

I only ever saw Marj's Alex and I found to be treated as more of a nuisance than anything, almost a joke. So imagine my surprise in watching Beverlee clips and seeing her as this grande dame of Springfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, the country club scenes are great, but these might be even better. Bev starts out afraid of what Roger might do then absolutely lowers the boom on him when she confronts him about his affair with Mindy. When she starts revealing her hand and Roger goes from confident to realizing just how little leverage he really has, it's worth every penny. What a master class by two legends. 

 

Edit: By the way, "I'm betting the farm on it." might be one of my favorite GL lines ever. 

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dan said:

Honestly, the country club scenes are great, but these might be even better. Bev starts out afraid of what Roger might do then absolutely lowers the boom on him when she confronts him about his affair with Mindy. When she starts revealing her hand and Roger goes from confident to realizing just how little leverage he really has, it's worth every penny. What a master class by two legends. 

They were SO amazing. I loved those scenes. Every line delivery was perfection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Susan Flannery legitimized the trash that B&B always was. In the best of times, B&B was addictive trash and a guilty pleasure, but Susan gave it a hint of legitimacy. In the worst of times, B&B was mindless Hollywood stars without a third grade education, and Susan Flannery was Alex Trebek’s mustache, sneering and towering above them. 

 

I do think B&B with Susan Flannery was sometimes a great guilty pleasure, sometimes awful, but always watchable. Without her, it’s just another soap, and coincidentally, a bad one. IDK if there’s ever been another soap so dependent on one actress. 

Edited by juppiter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, juppiter said:

Susan Flannery legitimized the trash that B&B always was. In the best of times, B&B was addictive trash and a guilty pleasure, but Susan gave it a hint of legitimacy. In the worst of times, B&B was mindless Hollywood stars without a third grade education, and Susan Flannery was Alex Trebek’s mustache, sneering and towering above them. 

 

I do think B&B with Susan Flannery was sometimes a great guilty pleasure, sometimes awful, but always watchable. Without her, it’s just another soap, and coincidentally, a bad one. IDK if there’s ever been another soap so dependent on one actress. 

Once Flannery left B&B it became the Liam Show and totally went downhill. Even KKL was reduced to nothing without Flannery around. 

Edited by Soapsuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I find myself posting so many ATWT clips because even at their zenith, the show seemed highly underrated and the talent was usually criminally underappreciated.  

Although she was only on for a few years, Sierra Esteban was one of my all-time favorites when she was portrayed by Finn Carter.  Sierra, similar to Kim Hughes, tended to want to see the best in people but also like Kim, if you got on her bad side...look out.

If you saw the other side of Sierra, she would remind you that she was that b*tch who took up arms and fought in a revolution.  In other words, Sierra was a real G.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soapsuds said:

Once Flannery left B&B it became the Liam Show and totally went downhill. Even KKL was reduced to nothing without Flannery around. 

 

B&B was always fully dependent on LaFlannery and I thought they knew if. Turns out they didn’t. Bradley Bell was just the figurative monkey on the typewriter in the same way his contemporary ken Corday was. Which soap trust fund baby revealed himself sooner? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't discuss B&B without mentioning the great Darlene Conley.

 

She & the scruffy Spectra clan were perfect rivals for the stuffy Forrester family.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...