Popular stories that destroyed favorite characters

• Members

I though BW was awful as AJ.  But the writing was so not ever in his favor.  His point of view was never represented well, it was always Jason and Carly and then Sonny were good- AJ and the Q’s bad.

I would be more surprised by RC’s treatment of AJ except he did it with Duke, AJ, Frank Smith,  and I think there is one I am forgetting.  He might be fun at times but the price is he is also hacky.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH - Ethan being Luke's kid really ruined a lot of characters, IMO.  It trashed Luke & Laura's love story.  It trashed Robert & Holly's love story. It trashed Luke & Robert's friendship.  The logical thing would have been to make Ethan the son of Robert & Holly.  But Tony Geary just had to have Ethan as his son.  Sigh.  So much ruined for one actor's wish.

• Members

You forgot the part about how much Guza enjoyed destroying popular things.  Deconstructing the good things in each character.

The Luke of that time period, before Nikolas arrived in PC, would never have cheated on Laura.  It is just stupid to watch Geary’s personal feelings about the pairing late in his career affect the past of the pairing, especially when we saw them together during some of this time.

• Members

The storyline wasn't popular, especially among long-time fans, but the show was really hot at the time, ratings-wise and soap press coverage.  I believe there's a soap mag cover of Holly and all of the kids out there.  Anyway, I have to admit that the storyline was a guilty pleasure of mine.  I knew that it was character assassination, but I still got some campy, crazy enjoyment out of it.  And this was when the show basically had cliffhangers every single day.  It helped that I had only been watching GL from the late 90s on, so Holly wasn't someone I was strongly attached to since she was hardly on.  Though I did know much of her backstory.  My earliest memories of Holly was of her and Fletcher, if that tells you anything.

• Members

Same here actually. When I started watching GL, Holly was with Fletcher. 

I agree in that even though a lot of the stories did no favors to the characters, GL during the late 90's was *entertaining*.  It wasn't until the next year when they focused less on the vets and mostly on newbies Santos family and San Cristobel that it really veered off course. 

• Members

After re-watching the episodes on ABC.com a couple of weeks ago, I think Sonny and Carly sleeping together kind of destroyed a lot on GH.  And whether I like them or not, they are a popular pairing.

End results- the first time Sonny and Jason have any contention, and ultimately each time Jason is willing to take so much crap from Sonny that he doesn’t from anyone else.  His time with Sonny has been way worse than anything the Quartermaines did to him.

AJ further marginalized and then killed twice.

Carly has been subjected to one mob crisis after another (Manny, Alcazar, Faith, Claudia) and her kids have been in constant danger.

Not to mention the pairing ate the entire show for over over 10 years.

The list goes on.

• Members

With GL, the actors who knew what they were doing could usually care idiotic material at least for a time. The problem at one point, became even if to some the mob and San Cristobel plots, literally sheared the show too much into sections, isolating people too much in one sphere or another, as they were in too many locations, so cast interaction overall went down.

With GH, I agree with you titan1978, I wasn't into Sonny and Carly in the early days, (with Sarah Brown), but that relationship became core, and so much else was put to the wayside. 

• Members

Some may not be popular but...

Y&R: Sheila having plastic surgery to look like Phyliss

B&B: Sheila shooting Taylor (2002), whenTaylor came back in 2005 not only had she faded her natural beauty with plastic surgery, the charachter went from well put together to whiney and uuuh...

GH: Rick Webber death (2002) Laura went mad, Luke became an uninteresting deadbeat, and Rick Webber became a villain; Tony destruction after sleeping with Carly; AJ destruction after sleeping with Carly; Metro Court Hostage Crisis: awesome event but it lead to Alan's death Monica's major irrelevance 

OLTL: Todd manning under Trevor St John 2006+ (beating up Cole, pushing Starr off the boardwalk, helping Jack cover up GG murder) granted Roger Howarth's Todd was evil but that charachter wouldn't victimized Starr the way TSJ did

Archived