Y&R January 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I am glad that Traci is back. She has such a comforting presence. I liked her scenes with Kyle. I also like how she supported Reed during the memorial and reminded him that JT had a lot of good qualities. That meant a lot to him. I also liked Mac's scenes, including her scenes with Reed and Cane. I like how she often checks in with the twins when she comes back. That is a nice nod to her history regarding them.

Also, I think that Kyle and Lola will have more problems in the future. I think that Rey saying they won't last and then Kyle looking disappointed when Lola thanked him for being patient with her for not wanting to sleep with him yet could be foreshadowing problems ahead for them.

And I believe that Arturo and Mia will probably cheat again. And/or realize they still love each other. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was glad to see Victoria’s entranceway and foyer make a return, and I have noticed the ceilings, which I think create atmosphere.

Still, sets that were diminished, such as the GCAC, need to come back full size. Too many sets were shrunk or eliminated or changed entirely. The new police station is no improvement, and the Ashby house has been reduced to a kitchen.

At some point, Victor and Nikki deserve their own house/ranch, and I miss Victor’s office, too. The wow factor is already gone from the Dark Horse sets, and that meeting room with the ugly orange chairs is awful and cheap.

Rey and Mia’s place is crummy, and Mariah and Tessa’s apt. should be set on fire. 

• Members

I thought Jason Thompson and Amelia Heinle were awesome today. I was very touched by their scenes. They were soft, almost understated. Kudos to both. Now if there was only a "Phyllis mute" button on the remote control.

• Members

It was so nice to have the full set of Victoria's house back again.  It was so cramped and poorly staged with the staircase and front door missing.  And, good job to Mal for the new sitting room set at the Newman Ranch.  I have found his production values to be very unimpressive, but this new set is gorgeous and looks much more befitting of the home of Victor and Nikki Newman.

• Members

Nick's reaction was just fine. Did you want him to scream like Nikki? Or outscream her? I know you hate Josh Morrow, but I don't understand commenting on him in that scene at all.

To me, the smh part of the episode was watching everyone sit there paralyzed while Phyllis took over and ripped JT to shreds. That just wasn't believable.

• Members

It seems no one can write well for the show outside the Bill Bell/ John F Smith/ Kay Alden trifecta. CBS keeps bragging about the show being #1. What they fail to realize is that its mainly viewer dedication rather than actual quality.

The show can  be salvaged, they still get at least 4M viewers a day. The few saving graces of the current current show are that the veteran actors still get major screen time, the production quality and wardrobe on CBS is still decent, and the cast isn't over-bloated in comparison to General Hospital. Moreover the storylines, though crappy, tend to be separated organized and easy to catch up on. Other than that the show needs major work. 

- Get Michelle Stafford back, make Victor human again, get a decent Lauren vs Sheila plot going, bring brack the ornate camera angles and directing from the 90s, and get the classical background music back....something before the audience eventually gives up. 

• Members

Speaking of Kay Alden, here is a new interview with her. It’s a bit long, but she goes into significant detail about her 2016-17 stint with Sally Sussman. Definitely informative and worth the listen. Alden is a classy lady. Although she does not come out and specifically state this, my impression is that Angelica McDaniel and probably Steve Kent were the root of the SSM and KA’s problems. KA seems to have a decent relationship with Mal Young based on the ways in which she discusses him. She also gets some cuts in at the expense of LML, JG, Jelly, and Pratt.

http://www.daytimeindulgence.com/2019/01/interview-kay-alden-talks-her-legendary.html

Archived