Closeted (gay) actors formerly on the soaps

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kale Brown as Michael Hudson was my crush as a kid! He awakened the daddy lust in me at a very young age (I'm 34.) I thought he was just so handsome on OLTL too. It's no wonder I'm into older white gentlemen. I could definitely see how one could clock a gay vibe from him though, but again it's probably more the characters, especially Sam Rappaport.

• Members

The point has been made that the soap press has always been complicit in the "closeting" of actors.  Many gay actors have commented that if a writer knew their sexuality then the magazine profile just would not focus on their dating life.   Certainly, by the 1990s, productions were not actively suppressing stories about actors, more often it was a fan-driven press with a misguided effort to self-censor the topic.

I would imagine most of the jokes in this thread regarding being surprised, remarks about certain men who seemed effeminate, and fantasies about dating actors who they suddenly have in common with, comes from the shock of information,  I would encourage everyone,  Speculation must be fun, but imagine the self-made closet so many actors inhabit. and stilll maintain filled their shame and fear.

• Members

I loved it when Playgirl used to do spreads with soap opera actors.   Victor Webster (Days) was divine!   Robert Kelker Kelly (Days & AW) too.  

I wanted more out of the Jean LeClarc (AMC).   Some magazine was supposed to have nude pictures of George Reinholt too but I never did track them down.

• Members

But what other choice would there be when the actor says the subject is off-limits for publication, or describes something contrary? You can print only what you can quote.

I can recall around 2010, when OLTL's Nic Robuck (James Ford) - mentioned in this thread - was interviewed alongside on-screen brothers Lenny Platt (Nate Salinger) and David E. Gregory (Robert Ford) for a profile Q&A. They were asked if they're dating anyone. Lenny and David both dropped some tidbits, and Nic simply said "I don't discuss my personal life." 

Even though I'm sure the interviewer knew he was already married to Tyler Robuck, the magazine is obligated to go with what Nic tells them. 

Believe me, they would love to give you the real scoop about the antics of a certain pair of recast on-screen brothers finding lust off the set  ... or to have broken a story of two intoxicated leading men (also on-screen brothers on a show, but appearing on said show at different times) who otherwise present as hetero, getting incredibly, visibly, palpably touchy-feely outside the Daytime Emmys - and overheard & witnessed by many around them, one suggesting they go to his hotel room - then exiting together...

But as complicit as it may be, it wasn't on-record, so they legally can't.

Please register in order to view this content

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thaao is so obvious, lol. He used to have photo spread after photo spread in the soap mags of himself traveling the globe with 'young friends' or 'nephews'.

Nic Robuck was barely closeted even when he was on OLTL. People knew about his partner/future husband even then, he wasn't really hiding it at all. I have to assume ABCD was what made him stay schtum.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Instagram and time have certainly had an effect on de-closeting/un-closeting/whatever of many actors. Ian Buchanan, Thaao Penghlis, and Nic Robuck live their lives openly on social media, and one can only be a "confirmed bachelor" for so long.  They no longer need a specific announcement of their sexuality because of the proverbial picture that is worth a thousand words. 

However, I still maintain that there was a "Liberace-Effect" in the soap press, wherein female editors of female-skewed soap magazines that tried to sell dish soap to housewives didn't want to see or hear that their favorite male stars were gay because it interrupted the illusion of the soap hunk.  Despite the fact that Gregg Marx was just as unattainable as Jon Hensley to most female fans, there were many women writers who tried to maintain their availability as part of the fantasy.  Just like Liberace telling Oprah in his final interview that he could just never find the right woman to settle down with and share his jewelry and furs.

Edited by j swift