Y&R-Mal Young Out, Josh Griffith Taking Over

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

P&G had a writers' program as late as 2003-2004. I actually toyed with applying. I recall you had to come up with a story bible for characters that were currently on the show. I remember telling a co-worker that I was thinking of applying. She was aghast. "Why would you want to write for a soap opera?" she asked. "They're trash. You're a much better writer than that!!" 

• Members

Wow, were you in school at the time?  Were you NYC based?  I mean, ATWT was basically trash by then but I have questions, lol!  ATWT was probably the only soap I ever even considered wanting to write for but it would've been the ATWT of one of the Golden Ages, not the fare of that last decade, which was filled with crap that set my teeth on edge.

• Members

Thanks for the insights! Considering how she was treated eventually, that wouldn't be surprising.

She could return classic Y&R to us, if allowed. But that's the key thing.

I could swear someone posted on SON about JFP selling the classic scores... Did I dream this or can anyone confirm? 

If that's the case, then the classic cues are definitely not ever coming back.

• Members

You’re not wrong. I don’t recall the poster but if I recall correctly, it’s in the Classic Y&R/Old Articles thread.

If true (and no reason to think it is not, given they completely vanished by November/December 2012), then an absolutely bone-headed decision, either absent of consequential awareness or a deliberate and wicked attempt to get rid of the past for a few quid. 

Just

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Thanks for confirming.

I think I was so furious to read that I delayed processing it for a while. Not that I'm surprised, but the thought of them selling off the scores... that the classic Y&R scores do not belong to Y&R anymore... OMG.

• Members

Yeah, now I remember that you told me about this recently.  by '04, I had completed my coursework and was finishing up my thesis.  I wasn't able to watch any soaps at that point, too much to do.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out with the changes at Y&R. I wonder whether any meaningful change can really take place with the current budget that Y&R currently has.

Archived