Y&R-Mal Young Out, Josh Griffith Taking Over

• Members

Who else are they gonna find?  Unless they allow writers to used pseudonyms to ghostwrite this show, I don't see how they attract self-respecting writers who value their resumes.

And the daytime drama industry shot itself in the foot long ago by failing to feed a non-incestuous pipeline of writing talent.  Instead, they opted to close ranks and (re)cycle the same small bunch of writers around in a loop, even as the most talented passed away and retired like fifteen/twenty years ago! 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You do have a good point that. The early 2000s was a perfect time to usher in the next generation of writers that was outside of soap opera circles but they chose to go the some chose to go the nepotism route (Days and B&B) and other just recycled writers. 

• Members

Glad Mal is out! The new team confuses me more than anything. How crazy is it that all this started with Sally getting fired and now her husband is executive producer?! I feel like he’s been at Y&R for ages so I don’t mind, but Josh Griffith again?! Could be worse, but both of his stints were dark and very dull IMO. Considering Morina is EP I wouldn’t mind if he could rope his wife or Alden in as Co-HW. That could work. Sussman’s knowledge of history and the characters could mesh well with Griffith’s more plot driven style. Could balance each other out. 

• Members

Admittedly, I've not watched since July, but thanks to you kind folks, I keep an ear on the show with your recaps and posts. I believe the pieces are there to be able to pull this show out of the depths. There are many talented actors on the roster. No doubt, a number of been lost in a short period, and I know it's tough to spin silk, but with the right guidance, there could be some light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel that this is a step in the right direction, but perhaps that's just a bit of naivety. 

I imagine I'm not the only one who was doing a bunch of eye rolls reading Mr. Young's reasoning for leaving. "The time is right...can't spend too much time at one place..." Heh. Okies.

• Members

Remember years ago I went to that soap writer’s panel with Claire Labine, David Kreizman, Shelly Altman, and others, and an audience member asked how a newcomer might break into soaps. Altman basically said something to the effect of soaps are dying and writing roles are harder to come by. So tough sh!t, folks, we’re not relinquishing our positions to make room for you noobs. It was a very brazen, if refreshingly honest, response.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think Mal Young was responsible for the repairing of Sharon's character... Altman started the ball rolling with Sussman eventually taking the ball, that Pratt refused to inherit from Altman, to repair Sharon.

And I would welcome DD back only if the writers come to their senses and break up Lauren/Michael and reunite Lauren/Paul.

• Members

Can someone remind me of Josh’s stories? I think he might’ve been really boring if I remember correctly. The same names get passed around so much it’s hard for me to remember what they wrote and where.

If Josh is the one to finally kill Tessa, he’ll be a success in my book.

• Roman changed the title to Y&R-Mal Young Out, Josh Griffith Taking Over
  • Members

He's proven to be (often) an excellent co-HW or associate HW under Malone.  But that's... really it.  (and I firmly believe some people are *great* at one position and not at another--everyone in the bizz seems to think Passanante was the best breakdown writer there was when she was in that position at OLTL, and we all know what has happened when she's been promoted.

I'm a casual Y&r viewer but I actually thought Mal's Y&R, while far far far far far far far from great, was finally starting to kinda gel.  Oh well.

• Members

I’ve said all I can and am willing to regarding Mal Young (both his history on British TV and on Y&R) so I won’t be going over it again- especially when others do it better.

My views on Josh Griffith are also stated elsewhere on here. I’m one of the few people who quite likes his sensibilities, and one or two pretty serious and ultimately fatal missteps aside- Hope killing Stefano in cold blood and the rape of Ciara- I liked his darker take on Days Of Our Lives.

But as the saying goes, ‘once bitten, twice shy’. The show has been systematically dismantled since 2006, and it’s almost at the point of no return, so I will not be returning to the show just yet...

Archived