Y&R-Mal Young Out, Josh Griffith Taking Over

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard Griffith wasn't everyone's first choice but Angelica disagreed with the person 

NOW: Mal Young confirms exit from “Y&R” :“Just arrived in London for the holidays. I felt like it was a good time to move on. Never a good idea to get too settled on a long running soap and I achieved all that I and CBS set out to do: improved scripts and production values. I have a project of my own that I’ve been developing and want to pursue that now. Plus running a show like this is all consuming and want to get a bit of my life back – and see my family occasionally!”

so he went home and decided he was done...lol

• Members

In a perfect world, one where CBS and Sony place a decent HW and EP at the helm and then decide on a "hands-off" approach to running Y&R, I would say yes, but not to expect any miracles right away.  The incoming HW and/or EP would need at least six months to straighten out the current storylines and such before implementing any changes that would bring back "our Y&R" in some fashion.

That's all speculative, however, since we know CBS and Sony have no intention of backing off or hiring someone who understands Y&R to run it.

• Members

The problem with Y & R was that it had such a unique identity that I don't think anyone could ever truly fix it.  Kay Alden was closest to Bill Bell's vision, but she was able to update the identity to fit the late 90s/early 2000s soap model (i.e. she quickened the pace, yet it was still Y & R at its core).  To me, losing the story bubble format (where characters didn't interact/know one another) was the start of morphing the show away from it's identity.

Archived