Y&R December 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Soaps have been doing this since I don’t know when, but I can’t get myself worked up over these contrived, life-or-death medical crises that are typically resolved within days, especially with injuries that would result in long term  debilitation. Yeah, yeah, it’s TV, but they go to the well too often, and it’s boring. Devon crashed his car at high speed two years ago, was seriously “injured,” Hilary boo-hooed, and he was basically doing jumping jacks within two weeks. Bill on B&B had two life-threatening injuries this past year, and his peacock strut has no hitch. They just threw an old lady down a flight of stairs on DAYS, and I bet she won’t miss a tai chi class. 

It’s lazy writing. At least when Gabi got the ever-loving sh!t beaten out of her in prison on DAYS, she felt a long term impact. But they always do away with any ramifications when it’s narratively inconvenient, which is usually the following week.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's the choppy way it's put together and the scenes they choose to play versus those they chose to omitt that lessens the impact. 

With that said,  today's show was actually well done. I'm convinced it wasn't produced my Mal. There was a marked difference from yesterday's style, scene content, and who they chose to feature. 

Victor and Nikki's flashbacks made sense and flowed with what was happening real time.

Ana, Devon, and Nate seemed like a family. One fractured but a family all the same. Their content was good and it showed how they all were related. Thank God Ana said Nate was her cousin. Lol. Also, Nate spoke about Malcolm raising him. It seems the show was ignoring that for a time.  Devon and Lily are truly double cousins to Nate. I did not feel the lack Neil or lily, which was surprising. 

No rosales were on. 

And they remembered Dina existed. Her and Jack's relationship always felt sweet to me during this illness. 

This was not Mal. 

• Members

I can get caught up in Victor and Nikki’s bond and chemistry, in spite of the  horrible nonsense they’ve endured over the years. EB sells Victor’s love for Nikki well, and I always enjoy old flashbacks. It’s all that stupidity from yesterday that I could have done without. And maybe I’m just jaded as some of the old soap tricks don’t work as well for me anymore.

• Members

I thought that today's scenes with Devon/Nate/Ana were enjoyable. It's nice that they are were bonding with each other as a family. I also liked Jack reminiscing with Dina. Nikki/Victor scenes are fine with me too. 

Archived